Should I change my trans fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I was willing to have the dealer do mine, even knowing they were gonna bend me over. The problem was they didn't call me back to schedule the job (twice).

Worked out ok for me, though. All thanks to this site and those members that shared their knowledge and experience here. They gave me the encouragement and confidence to DIY, and I am grateful.
I just like spending other guys money Ed :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am at about 80+km on the truck, If I still was on the farm with all my ramps and stuff, I would have no problem doing it myself , level is easy when you have a front end loader to tweak the rear end.
I had lots of 3 x12 in bridge planks that would handle my tandem , and 12x16" beams from same RR bridge.
the level of the oil is when it runs out the side plug I think.

Would I do it now in my 80's in town , not a chance.
Chances are I will never have to do it as I don't tow, and heavy load is some salt bags or some 2x4's these days maybe a lawn mower.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jtblackram

Jtblackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Honestly doing it now if the service interval is 60k makes me a bit nervous, maybe better late than never but with transmissions its tough. If i end up doing if I think it has to be before 100k. Gives me some months to plan it out

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Honestly doing it now if the service interval is 60k makes me a bit nervous, maybe better late than never but with transmissions its tough. If i end up doing if I think it has to be before 100k. Gives me some months to plan it out
ZF reconmends between 80,000 kms and 130,000 kms (50,000 to 80,000 miles) or 8 years.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
ZF reconmends between 80,000 kms and 130,000 kms (50,000 to 80,000 miles) or 8 years.
Almost at 97000kms, 2 yrs. Would you get more oil out by draining it at operating temp of 81C when the internal thermostat and valves are open or would draining it in the morning at 5C yield the same or better results? I’d rather not work on piping hot equipment, but it’s not the end of the world.

The idea in my head is to do the change when I get to 100k when the warranty is up, then do another drain and fill a couple thousand kms later. I’ve got 9L of fluid in the garage. Not sure that’s enough to do 2 changes on an 845re.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Almost at 97000kms, 2 yrs. Would you get more oil out by draining it at operating temp of 81C when the internal thermostat and valves are open or would draining it in the morning at 5C yield the same or better results? I’d rather not work on piping hot equipment, but it’s not the end of the world.

The idea in my head is to do the change when I get to 100k when the warranty is up, then do another drain and fill a couple thousand kms later. I’ve got 9L of fluid in the garage. Not sure that’s enough to do 2 changes on an 845re.
Drain it when it's hot,and let it sit overnight,will get the most fluid out of it.