should i make it a dump bed???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
My buddy looked into doing it on his 3rd gen 3500 and it wasn't Popsicle without a lot of extreme fabrication and the bed would of had to have sat over 3" off the frame he said
He contacted a few different companies who specialize in it and they all said the same thing
Not sure how much your bed differs though
Have you looked into how you would do it?
I'm curious what you would even do with the filler neck lol

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You will need a pto just to start to run the hydro. Aside from that look into parts for flatbed wreckers.

OP
OP
jbmobbs

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
iv seen it done on a second gen and they shaved the gas door off of the bed and moved it right behind the driver door on the extended cab part idk how but id figure it out lol

and id just mount the hydralic cylinder and put some heavy duty hinges at the back

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
You will need a pto just to start to run the hydro. Aside from that look into parts for flatbed wreckers.

Hydraulic pump not a PTO
You can use a PTO to power a hydraulic pump though

OP
OP
jbmobbs

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
the one i saw the dude bought something it looked like a reversed power steering pump and put on the other side of the motor and ran his off that......ill figure it out.....but all imput would be greatly accepted

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
iv seen it done on a second gen and they shaved the gas door off of the bed and moved it right behind the driver door on the extended cab part idk how but id figure it out lol

and id just mount the hydralic cylinder and put some heavy duty hinges at the back

Yeah it's gonna take a lot more then that
It'll cost atleast $1200 to do it safely an weigh 400-500 lbs
Your payload is 1800 lbs tops so you'll be able to haul a half a yard of dirt and maybe a shovel depending On if you have someone along for the ride or not
Not to mention if you design it to actually lift 1200+ lbs

OP
OP
jbmobbs

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
well i got the hydralic cylinder, lines and stuff for free and my father owns a welding fabrication shop so i wont blow to much money :D :naughty:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
the one i saw the dude bought something it looked like a reversed power steering pump and put on the other side of the motor and ran his off that......ill figure it out.....but all imput would be greatly accepted

That would be the hyrdualic pump. Those types are typically used for hydraulic snow plows. They were used on older jeeps as well
Alot of dumptrucks have a PTO off the transfer case to turns a hyrdualic pump when the PTO is engaged
There are also hydraulic pumps that are driven by electric motor pump and would be the simplest
If you have a limited knowledge of hydraulics this is gonna be really really tough to do

Last edited:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
and if i did do it id most definatly put 3/4 ton leaf springs on the back lol

Your payload would still be 1800 lbs minus however much the components and everything else weighs

Last edited:

DOAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
ive seen it done with a massive air bag under the bed instead of a hyd ram.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The more I think about it the worse of an idea it seems like
Unless you have someone who knows hydraulics I would say its safer not to do it

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I think some company like kelderman(sp?) made a kit. And im not thinking about the kelderman thing that lays the bed on the ground.

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I think that would be awesome and a really good custom mod to do.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Don't get me wrong i think it would be awesome but if you don't know what your doing your looking at 1500+ psi o pressure and a literal ton of steel 8 ft off te ground hoping and prayin what you rigged together can't lift it up and hold it up

OP
OP
jbmobbs

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
all ill need is a c channel in between the frame rails. and brace it to hold the weightand just mount the hydralic cylinder to it and the bed. and my dad knows hydralics so lolim prolly gonna give it a shot if i can get some time off work and school. its cool if you dont like it lol your not driving it :D

OP
OP
jbmobbs

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
and who said rigging???? i bought the blue prints off line last night so it will be done right and im going to make it a bolt on so it can be removed.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
If you do it the right way then yeah it'll be cool but it's not a project you should just use what's laying around
Don't expect to much out of it in the way of lifting, it'll be good for mulch and grass but that's about it
We had an f350 with one and it really struggled to lift a 2k lb load and it was a pain in the ass because your load would get caught on the wheel wells and it the tailgate hit the hitch reciever before we modified it