Should my AC condenser efan be running ALL the time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FSUNole17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I turned on my truck yesterday from sitting over night, AC off, and the efan starts running. Why would this be, is this how it is supposed to work? If not, do I just need to take it to a Dodge dealer and ask them to check it out??

OP
OP
F

FSUNole17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All AC or defrost or heating fans were in the off position.

OP
OP
F

FSUNole17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess trying to get an answer to my original question, SHOULD it be running all the time or no?

Robstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same situation on my 07 hemi. When I start it cold with everything off it will be on and be super loud! It usually ends up turning off after it runs for a few minutes but its super annoying.

OP
OP
F

FSUNole17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am wanting to take this to the dealer to get fixed, but is there anyway for me to troubleshoot it myself without taking it in? What would I need to look at that the dealer would check?

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
AC fan shouldn't come on when you start the truck. Try disconnecting the battery for 30min and see if that does anything.

Mr_Nacho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 06 has done this since I got it '08, it does seem odd and can be annoying.

OP
OP
F

FSUNole17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know how to reset the PCM, I am going to unplug the battery for 30 min tomorrow and see what that does. I believe the only downside to this is load on the charging system when it shouldnt be on as well as premature wearing out of the fan motor, correct?

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
check fuse #23 and see if it says pcm...if so, pull it, and put key in ignition an turn to start position (it won't crank) and hold there til all the dings disappear (snap seat belt on to lessen the dings)...listen for a ding, it will pause for about 3 seconds, then a confirming ding..that indicates the pcm reset.

OP
OP
F

FSUNole17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
check fuse #23 and see if it says pcm...if so, pull it, and put key in ignition an turn to start position (it won't crank) and hold there til all the dings disappear (snap seat belt on to lessen the dings)...listen for a ding, it will pause for about 3 seconds, then a confirming ding..that indicates the pcm reset.

Great, thanks! I will give it a shot and see what happens