Single vs dual exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Are you kidding me? They all look like that, even my 2016 6.4

Yillbs or whatever he calls himself is special don't you know,they built him a one off Y pipe just for his truck,lol. If you can try to ignore most of his answers as they're usually wrong:naughty:

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yillbs or whatever he calls himself is special don't you know,they built him a one off Y pipe just for his truck,lol. If you can try to ignore most of his answers as they're usually wrong:naughty:

I am indeed wrong. That doesn't make me special, I can admit when I'm wrong. I just looked and it is squished like that. So I apologize. That does not however change the fact that's it's not garbage.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I am indeed wrong. That doesn't make me special, I can admit when I'm wrong. I just looked and it is squished like that. So I apologize. That does not however change the fact that's it's not garbage.

Only in your mind is it not gargage. How do you figure a squashed Y pipe is a good thing,one bank of the engine flows more exhaust then the other bank,because of the crimped Y pipe,explain how that doesn't make it garbage smart guy. The statement still stands,can you go away again:favorites13:.90% of your answers are usually like the Y pipe,not really beneficial to anybody.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Garbage? They are mathematically tuned to ensure the best possible.operatiin of emissions and quiteness. I assure you, a multi billion dollar company doesn't distribute "garbage" or non functioning emission systems. What an ignorant thing to say.
You are mostly right, but he does have a point as well.
Chrysler went cheap on the Y pipe where the down comers from the right and left exhaust manifolds meet.
The two pipes are mashed together in a very poorly executed weld. Clearly this has been allowed to remain by Chrysler for cost of assembly--why fix what most people wont see.
But, it is an impingement on what should be about a 3" diameter pipe at that point going into the catalytic converter. Probably no big deal when stock, but one more thing to fix when trying to coax full HP out of your RAM.

Does not rise tot the level of Ford and the Pinto gas tanks, but it is cost shaving over quality plain and simple.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So has anyone replaced that portion of the "Y" pipe there?

What does it look like fixed?

And any performance gains if any (real or "butt" dyno)?

I can imagine the Y pipe would be cheap but the additional piping and bending might make it cost ineffective.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So has anyone replaced that portion of the "Y" pipe there?

What does it look like fixed?

And any performance gains if any (real or "butt" dyno)?

I can imagine the Y pipe would be cheap but the additional piping and bending might make it cost ineffective.

I had my original Y pipe modified with all mandrel bends from the cats back,and a Magnaflow Y merge,i figured at most it was good for maybe a tenth at the track,for the amount it cost to do it in all mandrel bends with the free flowing merge,it wasn't really cost effective for the gains.Where you'll really gain is if you have long tubes,then you'll want the aftermarket Y pipes for the flow gains,but with stock manifolds it's a tough call on whether the costs involved are worth the gains.

OP
OP
K

kirwinjd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I Have a 2017 Ram 4x4 with the hemi engine and I noticed that some of the trucks have dual exhaust and others like mine only have single exhaust.
Anyone know the reason for that?
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting discussion on my topic.
Thanks guys for your input.
On a different note, the mileage on my truck has been disappointing.
I only have 6000 miles on it but the MPG is at least 5 miles less than advertised. Wondering what's the deal behind that? Any modifications that might improve the mileage without voiding my life long warranty?

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i changed the y-pipe on my 2011 to mandrel bent with a magnaflow y-pipe and exhaust and it made zero difference in performance sound or gas mileage

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much mineralram for the setup?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
This thread got ugly quick. To sum it up the trims that got dual exhaust are the express, Lonestar, bighorn, sports and all the larmie's. Some may be confused by trucks labeled as bighorns having single exhaust those are 95% 2wd outdoorsman's 2014-2015 they started labeling them at bighorns they have color matched grills and either 2 toned bumpers or chrome. The tradesman's, low end slts, and outdoorsmans all had the single exhaust. There is no gain from 1 to the other it's all appearance. as far as the y pipe it flows enough for a stock engine otherwise they wouldn't of put it on there. Is there room for improvement sure but it's fine the way it is. My 2006 had the same y pipe so if it was a real issue 12 years later they wouldn't still be using it.

Also the hemi and eco diesel had the dual exhaust the Pentastar has single across the board.

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
if memory serves me correct the y-pipe was $40.00 from magnaflow and a local exhaust shop charged me $100.00 for install and stainless pipe mandrel bent

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Mullinix87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the Y cut out and two pipes run back to a dual in/dual out Flowmaster super 10. This was done on my 16 lone star 1500.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Mullinix87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is the only one I have at the moment. Whenever it stops raining I'll get a better picture up there at the where the Y was.d07b1c838cce8cf6b9fbdb470dcc326b.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
how about a sound clip of that beast :naughty:

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
I want to do dual tails to side like that too. Nicely done bro

RandyGallup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine looks nothing like that. But even so, dual exhaust from factory is for appearance. That's not garbage, it's still functional. Though that's obviously problimatic and not intended.

That "garbage" works just fine with the dual exhaust on my truck