snow tires - Nokian R3 SUV or unstudded LT3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tobyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 Diesel
Hi All,

It's snow tire time here, my first time buying for a truck but I've had great luck with Nokians on cars and SUVs in the past.

I'm looking at either the R3 SUV (in 275/60-20) or the unstudded LT3 (in 275/65-20). Right now I'm running 295/60-20 all seasons and like the added height, but the width (and tread) is not good for snow.

I can't seem to find any direct comparison info between the R3 and the LT3 and my tire shop is just reading back the description to me. Also, Nokian seems to be MIA on the customer service front -- their 800 number goes nowhere and emails to them aren't answered.

I won't be towing anything with these on, just hauling me and maybe a few passengers around the Rockies. The LT3 is interesting in that it's got some more sidewall height but the ad copy seems to talk more about it being more for trucky stuff whereas in winter my Ram is more of a glorified passenger vehicle. I want whichever has the best traction.

Anyone have knowledge of the differences?

Cheers,
Toby.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I have run the LT3 studded in 245/75R17 on my 2015 RAM, I haven't gotten the snows for my 2019 yet.
On other vehicles I've run the Nordmans, SUV 7's, my wifes Jeep Compass is riding on a set of 9's
for it's second winter, all of mine are studded.
I think even the Nordman and definitly the 8's and 9's gripped a bit better then the LT's did, not by a lot
but better.

OP
OP
T

tobyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 Diesel
all of mine are studded.
We just don't have snow on the ground here enough to justify studs, even though they'd be amazing when we're up in the mountains.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca