Some Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
So, I took an hour long trip to hang with the fam. Most of its highway. My front end just feels like its really unstable. Its not bad off the highway but on the highway its noticeable. Its kind of just like a vibration in the steering wheel and I can feel a vibration under the drivers side floorboard. Also, when I go over bumps it really feels unstable. I know its different front ends but my brothers chevy just absorbs all the bumps. I know my dodge has a solid axle but I just dont see how it can feel unsafe on the highway.

So should I get A/T tires to help with it. Ive replace all the front end components, upgraded steering stabilizer, steering box stabilizer, and since gotten an alignment about 4 months ago. Also, my steering is a little off again. Idk how but it is. Throw some ideas at me. I just wanna see if there is a way to make the front end more stable.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
You said you did the whole front end is there any way you could last the things you've done? Might be something you forgot about that may be contributing (pitman arm, sway bar endlinks, ball joints not greased). Also check to make sure your shock bolts are tight that can cause a lot of funkiness

OP
OP
bassslayer25

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
You said you did the whole front end is there any way you could last the things you've done? Might be something you forgot about that may be contributing (pitman arm, sway bar endlinks, ball joints not greased). Also check to make sure your shock bolts are tight that can cause a lot of funkiness

Me and my cousin replaced ball joints, U-joints, track bar, and sway bar end links. We left the pitman arm. I havent greased the ball joints since we replaced them so ill probably do that here soon. I havent checked the shock bolts either.

How is your ride? Is it rough when you go over bumps or does if feel unstable or anything like that. My brothers silverado feels smooth and safe. I know it has a-arms but I would assume that my ride shouldnt feel this rough. But like I said its usually only concerning on the highway.

Crocdocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
Me and my cousin replaced ball joints, U-joints, track bar, and sway bar end links. We left the pitman arm. I havent greased the ball joints since we replaced them so ill probably do that here soon. I havent checked the shock bolts either.

How is your ride? Is it rough when you go over bumps or does if feel unstable or anything like that. My brothers silverado feels smooth and safe. I know it has a-arms but I would assume that my ride shouldnt feel this rough. But like I said its usually only concerning on the highway.
I have a 2000 1500 with 1 ton suspension with bad balljoints and wheel bearings... Well not anymore but even when it did it felt safe on the highway over bumps it always tracked straight... Maybe it's just your front left tire is out of balance, maybe a wheel weight came off. Could just be somthin simple

OP
OP
bassslayer25

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Something that may be causing it is my caliper on the passenger side is not tight against the rotor. So there is a little wiggle room on the passenger side. Idk, im just curious to see if everyones ride is kinda rough. I go to the lake to much in the summer to have a unsafe ride. Pulling a pair of seadoos doesn't help either lol

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
my guess would be shock bolts, maybe a warped rotor, busted cord in tire? a lot it could be

mda8569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Try tightening your body mounts. I have/had similar issues with my truck. I know that when I tightened the body mounts it stiffened the truck a bit. Doesnt get blown around as much and feels more solid. On the list of upgrades are replacing those soon. Another thing I tried that helped with stability was tightening the trackbar....again. I actually left the cotter pin off because the hole wouldnt line up after I took a mf,n big ass breaker bar to it, lol.

OP
OP
bassslayer25

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
I could try the body mounts. It also could be because of my coil spacers that came with my lift. It may not be as good as actually replacing the coil springs themselves.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I could try the body mounts. It also could be because of my coil spacers that came with my lift. It may not be as good as actually replacing the coil springs themselves.

Thats one part of it, next is the trackbar, mine always felt like **** with the stock bar, better was the Sj bar, even better is the 1.750 Dom with rod ends. There is also a lot of flex in the steering linkage, bars are too thin and they flex under load.

OP
OP
bassslayer25

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Thats one part of it, next is the trackbar, mine always felt like **** with the stock bar, better was the Sj bar, even better is the 1.750 Dom with rod ends. There is also a lot of flex in the steering linkage, bars are too thin and they flex under load.

Do they make thicker steering linkage? Also, your going to have to tell me what Sj bar and 1.750 Dom with rod ends are because im not sure what those are lol

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Do they make thicker steering linkage? Also, your going to have to tell me what Sj bar and 1.750 Dom with rod ends are because im not sure what those are lol

We'll the 2nd gen 2500 linkage is thicker but not by much, it helps some. Skyjacker track bar kit DTBA27 good kit for 5" and up only. The other one is homemade from 1.3/4 inch diameter, 1/2 thick wall steel tubing (very stiff) and the rod ends make for a solid tight end no play at all in it. I use this bar with the Sj bracket on the frame.

OP
OP
bassslayer25

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
So do you have any play or vibration at high speeds? Especially going over bumps?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
No none at all and I don't use a swaybar to boot. Still have the junk Y style steering but all 2500 parts. I can let go of the wheel at 60 mph and it tracks just fine even going over bumps. Long arms help but thats not what you need with your lift. Btw your truck will never ride like a independent truck does ever lol or steer like one.

OP
OP
bassslayer25

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
No none at all and I don't use a swaybar to boot. Still have the junk Y style steering but all 2500 parts. I can let go of the wheel at 60 mph and it tracks just fine even going over bumps. Long arms help but thats not what you need with your lift. Btw your truck will never ride like a independent truck does ever lol or steer like one.

Thats disappointing lol

If I let go of the wheel at 60 over bumps id be in a ditch right now lol I have a good amount of play even with new front end parts and an alignment.

Another weird problem I faced driving this afternoon is that when im going 70ish with my foot on the gas and then I have to let off the gas completely I feel a pretty noticeable vibration in the pedal and on the floor board. Any idea what that would be? In the motor or tranny or driveline?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Driveline time to pull the rear diff cover and have a look see. Check tranny mount and cross-joints. Then move your way forward to the motor.

How much lift do you have?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Not much lift. You could try adding a drop pitman arm or look at getting a redhead or borgeson steering box.

OP
OP
bassslayer25

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
The drop pitman arm is for the stability correct?

When I look at the driveline what should I look for? Ive never had to check my driveline before.