Something in engine bay making pretty loud whining noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shiftkit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought at first it might have been that the power steering fluid was low but it's got plenty in there. Think it's the alternator? I have an extended warranty on the truck that will cost me a $100 deductible and this is our only vehicle so I don't really want to bring it in, but I have a feeling something expensive's about to need replacing.

video:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1XgVs7snVD8c01bG3

Thanks for reading.

OP
OP
S

Shiftkit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Every time i try to edit it says I'm putting spam in there but all I'm trying to add is it's a 2012 ram 1500 express with a 5.7 hemi, if that's of any use to anyone.

sorry for the notification sound in the middle

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I thought at first it might have been that the power steering fluid was low but it's got plenty in there. Think it's the alternator? I have an extended warranty on the truck that will cost me a $100 deductible and this is our only vehicle so I don't really want to bring it in, but I have a feeling something expensive's about to need replacing.

video:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1XgVs7snVD8c01bG3

Thanks for reading.
Does the noise change when you turn the wheels? If not I say alternator.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Shiftkit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nah it doesn't, but now I'm thinking idler pulley, this guy's truck sounds just like mine.

Hell for 20 bucks I'll start there

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a pretty easy way to find out instead of chucking parts at it.

Take the belt off and turn everything by hand. You can feel and hear a bad bearing.

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My vote is idler pulley. I've heard them whine like that until eventually the bearing fails and turns your serpentine belt into a nice bowl of spaghetti

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
My vote is idler pulley. I've heard them whine like that until eventually the bearing fails and turns your serpentine belt into a nice bowl of spaghetti
Agree. Common for the 5.7 tensoner to wear out. Hard working stress part. I always replace the rest of the pulleys at the same time. Did my 03 2 years ago. Found that the Gates pulleys were the best made.