SOS Stopping Ghost Touching

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alex125

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Firstly, hello everyone, I'm glad to be here....okay maybe not in this situation directly, but alive. Anyways, so I have the most common 8.4 Uconnect delamination that I am getting fixed at the dealership on Friday. Unfortunately it's going to be $500 but I find that pretty cheap compared to what it would be. Back to the question at hand, I have done a pretty good job at avoiding driving the truck due to driving my beater, because the truck is literally awful to drive with it constantly trying to blast heat in my face in already 90 degree weather. Plus everything else, it literally changed the language to Spanish the one time and eventually changed it back. Here's the thing, I really need to drive the truck tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone has any way to temporarily stop the ghost touching until I get it replaced? Will the truck still work normally if I pull the radio fuse and run it? Any help would be appreciated.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Your radio is not just a radio, it is a Infotainment System
half radio, have computer

I don't know if pulling the fuse will affect just the radio part

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine just started the ghost touches two weeks ago, but it doesn't happen all the time. Yesterday, I figured out that there are three or four spots the touches happen. If yours isn't happening all the time, when your screen is behaving, find a screen that doesn't have a "button" where the touches are occurring and leave it there. Luckily for me, one of those screens is the SXM screen, but if a favorite song comes up and I press the alert, it goes crazy. Oddly enough, the touches aren't happening on the delaminated part.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Firstly, hello everyone, I'm glad to be here....okay maybe not in this situation directly, but alive. Anyways, so I have the most common 8.4 Uconnect delamination that I am getting fixed at the dealership on Friday. Unfortunately it's going to be $500 but I find that pretty cheap compared to what it would be. Back to the question at hand, I have done a pretty good job at avoiding driving the truck due to driving my beater, because the truck is literally awful to drive with it constantly trying to blast heat in my face in already 90 degree weather. Plus everything else, it literally changed the language to Spanish the one time and eventually changed it back. Here's the thing, I really need to drive the truck tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone has any way to temporarily stop the ghost touching until I get it replaced? Will the truck still work normally if I pull the radio fuse and run it? Any help would be appreciated.
You can fix it yourself for less (about half that) but that is not a bad price for the dealer to do it. You can pull the fuse and suffer no ill effect other than options that are only available to you via the radio will be unavailable and when the radio gets power again it will take several power cycles/hours for all of the features to appear and/or work properly.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Mine just started the ghost touches two weeks ago, but it doesn't happen all the time. Yesterday, I figured out that there are three or four spots the touches happen. If yours isn't happening all the time, when your screen is behaving, find a screen that doesn't have a "button" where the touches are occurring and leave it there. Luckily for me, one of those screens is the SXM screen, but if a favorite song comes up and I press the alert, it goes crazy. Oddly enough, the touches aren't happening on the delaminated part.
If you catch it early enough, you may be able to stop it permanently by adding an active cooling system to the radio. I used PC fans and replaced the thermal material internal to the radio...

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I bought a full screen replacement off Amazon for $300. I was very pleased with the results, the unit was a HD screen and it produces way better picture quality than the oem on my 18. It also made it through this brutal 110 degree Texas summer. I did the digitizer replacement but that was a fail, for $50 I thought it was worth the try but the ghost clicking came back within 2 months. Theres good videos on YouTube on how to do either it’s not very hard and it will save you a bunch of money.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I bought a full screen replacement off Amazon for $300. I was very pleased with the results, the unit was a HD screen and it produces way better picture quality than the oem on my 18. It also made it through this brutal 110 degree Texas summer. I did the digitizer replacement but that was a fail, for $50 I thought it was worth the try but the ghost clicking came back within 2 months. Theres good videos on YouTube on how to do either it’s not very hard and it will save you a bunch of money.
Did you take any pictures of the back of the Amazon screen? I was wondering if they were a different manufacturer/part number.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can fix it yourself for half that if you consider yourself halfway handy. Its pretty simple. Took me 20 minutes. But i understand some dont want to take their dash apart.

Here is the thread on it.Page 8, post #72 is where i started talking about mine and what i did. I bought a new screen on eBay. You dont need a whole new radio.
BTW, cant you just turn it off so it wont do all that stuff? I'd think you can.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/uconnect-screen-delamination-issues.194511/page-9#post-2828131

Last edited:

Cash22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you catch it early enough, you may be able to stop it permanently by adding an active cooling system to the radio. I used PC fans and replaced the thermal material internal to the radio...
What are ghost touches?

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I didnt even know this was an issue for these trucks.....All in all...I'm sure its not funny for you guys suffering through it and I apologize my Ram brothers....but its pretty funny sitting on the sideline.

Ch

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
What are ghost touches?
Touch responses on the screen without anyone touching the screen. It will do things like prevent an actual touch if it thinks their is already a touch on the screen, or more frustratingly change stations or switch between inputs on it's own.

tul9033

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you provide a link to the screen?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Sorry I didn’t get back to you faster.

17-21 Replacement 8.4" Uconnect 4C UAQ LCD Monitor Touch-Screen Radio Navigation New OEM Replacement Fit for Dodge RAM Jeep Chrysler 2017&up https://a.co/d/93ohRWE

I am very happy with it.
Just FYI, this isn't an upgraded screen. This is an SL01 or SL02 part number with the factory anti-glare removed. These part numbers are still susceptible to delamination and can be had for $200 from other sellers. The latest part is LA084X01 (SL03) which is the latest revision that was made to address delamination.

EDIT: Ebay is selling the SL01/SL02 part for as little as $160 now, some with 3 year warranties.

Last edited:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Just FYI, this isn't an upgraded screen. This is an SL01 or SL02 part number with the factory anti-glare removed. These part numbers are still susceptible to delamination and can be had for $200 from other sellers. The latest part is LA084X01 (SL03) which is the latest revision that was made to address delamination.

EDIT: Ebay is selling the SL01/SL02 part for as little as $160 now, some with 3 year warranties.

It may have the same issues in the future but I can tell you the quality/definition of the screen is way better than oem 4th gen. This screen has the clarity of my 19 2500. It also made it thorough this Texas summer that’s been weeks of 108-110 temps.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It may have the same issues in the future but I can tell you the quality/definition of the screen is way better than oem 4th gen. This screen has the clarity of my 19 2500. It also made it thorough this Texas summer that’s been weeks of 108-110 temps.
It's the same part number from LG as what ships factory installed, it just looks/is sharper because the factory anti-glare cover isn't applied. The matte covering makes the screen resolution appear lower. It's great it's holding up, I just wanted you to be aware of what you purchased. I'm using an SL02 myself and I've kept it from delaminating by upgrading the passive cooling in the radio, adding a heat shield and adding CPU fans to the back of the radio.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's the same part number from LG as what ships factory installed, it just looks/is sharper because the factory anti-glare cover isn't applied. The matte covering makes the screen resolution appear lower. It's great it's holding up, I just wanted you to be aware of what you purchased. I'm using an SL02 myself and I've kept it from delaminating by upgrading the passive cooling in the radio, adding a heat shield and adding CPU fans to the back of the radio.
Im not sure the CPU fans will do much. The fans will only run when the car is on. Plus the fans are in the back, the screen is up front. But they are cheap and worth a try I suppose.

Mine is parked outside in Vegas summers. Even if i get a car port to shade it that I been looking into, it will still be hot.

If the SL-02 delaminates again, I'll get a SL-03 which hopefully will be cheaper in 4 years. I've only had it in there a few months

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Im not sure the CPU fans will do much. The fans will only run when the car is on. Plus the fans are in the back, the screen is up front. But they are cheap and worth a try I suppose.

Mine is parked outside in Vegas summers. Even if i get a car port to shade it that I been looking into, it will still be hot.

If the SL-02 delaminates again, I'll get a SL-03 which hopefully will be cheaper in 4 years. I've only had it in there a few months
On mine, the ghost touches are present on the SL02, I can tell if I blew the fan fuse because the screen will become less responsive and have minor ghost touches when they are not running. I believe from experimentation and anecdotes on this forum that the screen delamination is actually caused by the radio's running too hot and in certain geographical areas coupled with high outside air temperature causes the LOCA to slowly flow to the bottom of the screen. I haven't done a proper read with a measuring device, but the finger reading shows the back of the radio is much cooler. This radio was originally owned by another forum member who was going to toss it in the trash several years ago.

All this to say, I think I'm approaching the 3 year mark with this radio which had a prior screen delamination, replaced with an SL02, and it's still in service without issue with the additional cooling mods (which cost around $30 total). I also feel like the radio is snappier and more responsive than before but again that's just a "feel" thing...