Speaker Config on '15 1500 Crew

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
How have Ram owners been installing component sets? A bracket in the existing 3.5" spot for the tweeters and another in the door for the woofer? Or installing the tweeters in the A arm?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
How have Ram owners been installing component sets? A bracket in the existing 3.5" spot for the tweeters and another in the door for the woofer? Or installing the tweeters in the A arm?

For midbass in the doors, you'd make or buy a 6x9 adapter plate. essentially a 6x9" plate with a 6.5" hole...pretty easy to make, easier to buy.
For tweeters, my tweeters mounting base was wide enough to simply screw into the factory holes left behind by the factory 3.5" speaker. If that doesn't work, a thin adapter plate or similar can be used just as well. I know most guys are able to mount a tweeter into that factory dash location with MINIMAL effort....
tweeters in the sail panels are a whole different deal....but usually sound better since the tweeters will be more on-axis, and does not have the reflective properties of firing a tweeter towards an angled piece of glass (windshield)
you have options...best of luck!

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
For midbass in the doors, you'd make or buy a 6x9 adapter plate. essentially a 6x9" plate with a 6.5" hole...pretty easy to make, easier to buy.
For tweeters, my tweeters mounting base was wide enough to simply screw into the factory holes left behind by the factory 3.5" speaker. If that doesn't work, a thin adapter plate or similar can be used just as well. I know most guys are able to mount a tweeter into that factory dash location with MINIMAL effort....
tweeters in the sail panels are a whole different deal....but usually sound better since the tweeters will be more on-axis, and does not have the reflective properties of firing a tweeter towards an angled piece of glass (windshield)
Doesn't the voice prompts for the truck come out of the driver 3.5"?

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Doesn't the voice prompts for the truck come out of the driver 3.5"?

**** I don't know...I hold my phone to my ear when I take a call which is rare when Iam driving

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
**** I don't know...I hold my phone to my ear when I take a call which is rare when Iam driving

Well I mean the voice navigation and whatnot. If it is, then it would take away a lot of the depth and volume to that voice, no?

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
What do you think about the Kicker 6x9 component set? Would that be any better or worse? I won't have to get a bracket and won't the 6x9 have some more midbass than the 6.5 since it's a larger woofer?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In theory, yes. However it really depends what set you are comparing it to. Most high quality 6.5s will out perform any Kicker 6x9 component.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
In theory, yes. However it really depends what set you are comparing it to. Most high quality 6.5s will out perform any Kicker 6x9 component.
What are some quality component sets nowadays?

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
What's your budget?
I'd say 200ish, but if someone tells me the best set is 250 then I'm not gonna turn it down (as an example). I guess there's not really a budget, just a hopeful number lol

chrism1367

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How hard is it to put 6.5 components in the front doors, then route the tweeters up into the dash where the factory 3.5s were? Also if anyone has done it how does it sound? My plan is to put components in the front and dash, then put 6x9s in the rear, I won't have an amp, and I'm putting in an aftermarket stereo, Kenwood double din. You guys think it would sound decent with a setup like that?

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
How hard is it to put 6.5 components in the front doors, then route the tweeters up into the dash where the factory 3.5s were? Also if anyone has done it how does it sound? My plan is to put components in the front and dash, then put 6x9s in the rear, I won't have an amp, and I'm putting in an aftermarket stereo, Kenwood double din. You guys think it would sound decent with a setup like that?
A. Please start your own post, as I'd like to keep the discussion relevant to my particular issues and
B. The answer to your question is already in this thread.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anything decent?

At around $250 there is a good amount of options. I am not a fan of Kicker speakers personally. I do not have a personal recommendation at this price point. Most of what I deal with is under $150 or above $500. It may be a good idea to head over to DIYMA and check out whats hot. They usually find great component sets for cheap, then of course the price goes up for the next year model.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with the next model above these but this three way component set should sound great. I have the tweeter in the sail panel and the midrange in the factory dash position. The 6.5" midbass will go in the door.

https://www.amazon.com/ESK-163L-5-Hertz-Component-Speaker-System/dp/B00EDTENQ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486705725&sr=8-1&keywords=Hertz+audio+3-way
Edited with corrected link.

This all runs off of a single passive crossover so you would only need two amp channels for the front. I'd recommend around 100-150 watts per side.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Just thinking but as a temporary fix, but if I split up the 3.5 in the dash and the 6x9 in the door, I can run the 6x9s in all the doors to a 4 channel amp and that just leaves the dash speakers unpowered. Can I connect the dash speakers to the front lead from the factory deck while still also having it connected to the line out converter?

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Forgive my drawing... but this is what I'm asking. At least until I can replace the front 6x9s with a component set and pull the 3.5's

fdf9cba28c3269e03b5a244ad6bca3b4.png

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
That would work fine.
And that won't mess with the impedance of the dash speakers? I assume not since the converter is just a signal out, but no harm in asking :)