Spoon bars clunking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, not sure if ya heard, but Magnuson/Eaton makes a TVS2650 now. The Whipple units are no longer efficient since the TVS2650 release.

We had a Hellcat here at work, installed the TVS2650, Tune, and made 871 RWHP. We then de-tuned to about 840, took it to the track and ran a 9.93 1/4 mile on the first pass, heat soaked from the staging lanes. We did have it running MS109 race fuel for safety reasons. But it was stock motor, stock fuel pump, Stock exhaust manifolds with cats, and only a Magnuson TVS2650 kit.

Hellcat-2T.jpg

The GM 6.2Di engine with a TVS2300 and fuel upgrade is 600 HP. No need to change anything other than maybe the exhaust.

when you say "We had a Hellcat here at work", where is that exactly?:naughty:

Last edited:

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep. The issue when lowering is the arms are no longer parrallel, and actually work against correct handling. Its not generally noticeable until high speeds or high speed off camber situations. Its due to the instant center being way off after lowering.

Changing lanes at 90+ and you hit an uneven road gets my truck unsettled right quick, and you have to back off the throttle to settle her down. Thats not optimal, and I have been chasing the problem with different spring rates, different drops, spohn control Arms, new custom control arms, driveline angles, shocks etc...

If these brackets work, it will save me a few grand, as the only other option is to have an entire new rear link system made from scratch.

When I was looking at trucks, I thought the rear link RAM setup was the best, vs leaf springs. Knowing what I know now, I should have bought a directed injected 2015 GMC Single Cab Shortbed with a 6.2L. It would have been in the weeds and 600rwhp by now, not to mention the wheel options are unlimited... But the GM interiors suck donkey balls, and the Hemi is a damn good motor.

My problems were 3 when making this same decision:

1. I liked the looks of the new RAM better (inside and out)
2. No 6.2L (that I knew of) offered in a RCSB
3. $$ to what you get = RAM is a better deal period (ala' Express/5.7/8spd)

I do have a "fair" amount of LS/GM based truck experience, for many years I owned a 650rwhp LQ4/TVS2300/4L80 combo and for the longest time was diehard chevy/GM........in many ways, I still am..........but in all honesty, the last GM truck I really liked looks wise was the GMT800 platform stuff............now I will say I do love my 2016 DI 5.3l/6spd Suburban pretty darn well.......:favorites13:

Last edited:

SKWURLZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My problems were 3 when making this same decision:

1. I liked the looks of the new RAM better (inside and out)
3. $$ to what you get = RAM is a better deal period (ala' Express/5.7/8spd)

I do have a "fair" amount of LS/GM based truck experience, for many years I owned a 650rwhp LQ4/TVS2300/4L80 combo and for the longest time was diehard chevy/GM........in many ways, I still am..........but in all honesty, the last GM truck I really liked looks wise was the GMT800 platform stuff............now I will say I do love my 2016 DI 5.3l/6spd Suburban pretty darn well.......:favorites13:

1. I liked the looks of the new RAM better (inside and out) Agreed
(It can be Special Optioned by a competent dealer, you have to go through the commercial division, and add a bed)
3. $$ to what you get = RAM is a better deal period (ala' Express/5.7/8spd) Agreed. The Special Order SCSB 6.2 Sierra was going to run $43K, ended up getting a Brand new 2014 R/T, in March of 2015, for $29K... +tax title license... I did buy the bumper to bumper no expiration date, unlimited mileage warranty for $3k. figured it was worth it.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah, not sure if ya heard, but Magnuson/Eaton makes a TVS2650 now. The Whipple units are no longer efficient since the TVS2650 release. [/IMG]

The GM 6.2Di engine with a TVS2300 and fuel upgrade is 600 HP. No need to change anything other than maybe the exhaust.

Uh, no. The Whipples are more efficient than the TVS. Always have been, always will be. The TVS may be more efficient than a conventional Roots blower, but it's still a Roots and the Twin Screw design is just better.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Back on the thread subject, I reinstalled my OEM bars this weekend and it's soooooo much better than the constant clunking...

SKWURLZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Uh, no. The Whipples are more efficient than the TVS. Always have been, always will be. The TVS may be more efficient than a conventional Roots blower, but it's still a Roots and the Twin Screw design is just better.

Eaton designed the TVS2650 to best the Whipple 2.9L, and they did. The 2650 has a higher max RPM, and the Whipple only has an slight efficency advantage above 16psi.

Differences between the Eaton TVS2300 vs TVS2650:
170 degree twist (vs. 160 degree)
Better sealing with optimized Length-over-Depth ratio
Increased durability with bigger bearings and thicker timing gears
Pressure relief ports in bearing plate for reduced input power
4% more efficient
15% larger (2300cc vs. 2650 cc)
18% less input power required
25% more air flow at 18,000 RPM and 14 psi boost (2.0 Pressure Ratio)
72% isentropic efficiency vs. 68%

Model: W175AX
Displacement: 2.9 Liter/rev
Max Continous RPM: 18,000
Max Peak RPM: 18,000
Max CFM: 1720
Max M^3/HR: 2922
Max PSI: 30
Peak VE: 99
Peak AE: 78

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Eaton designed the TVS2650 to best the Whipple 2.9L, and they did. The 2650 has a higher max RPM, and the Whipple only has an slight efficency advantage above 16psi.

Differences between the Eaton TVS2300 vs TVS2650:
170 degree twist (vs. 160 degree)
Better sealing with optimized Length-over-Depth ratio
Increased durability with bigger bearings and thicker timing gears
Pressure relief ports in bearing plate for reduced input power
4% more efficient
15% larger (2300cc vs. 2650 cc)
18% less input power required
25% more air flow at 18,000 RPM and 14 psi boost (2.0 Pressure Ratio)
72% isentropic efficiency vs. 68%

Model: W175AX
Displacement: 2.9 Liter/rev
Max Continous RPM: 18,000
Max Peak RPM: 18,000
Max CFM: 1720
Max M^3/HR: 2922
Max PSI: 30
Peak VE: 99
Peak AE: 78

A lot of info missing there to make an argument that one is better than the other.

It's a subject I'd be happy to have a conversation over, just maybe in another thread?

Last edited:

SKWURLZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
A lot of info missing there to make an argument that one is better than the other.

It's a subject I'd be happy to have a conversation over, just maybe in another thread?

I'd love to. Currently working on the compressor maps for both the TVS2650, and the Whipple W175X.
Shows that at the same pressure ratios, the 2650 is on average 5% more efficient, has a higher max RPM.

SKWURLZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Back on topic.

Anyone tried these new link relocation brackets yet?

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd love to. Currently working on the compressor maps for both the TVS2650, and the Whipple W175X.
Shows that at the same pressure ratios, the 2650 is on average 5% more efficient, has a higher max RPM.

Over the years I've heard of reliability issues with the screw type superchargers when conducting OEM style dependability tests......do you happen to know what was done to the screw to make it more reliable "or" was a lower set of requirements accepted it what is/was probably considered limited quantities?

Apologize for the "off topic" stuff but this is goooood $h!t mang!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
As Kurtis says,we'll have 4 sets,but probably not till the New Year.Ryan is supposed to be shipping them out today,but being Christmas and i'm in Canada,i don't really expect to see them all that soon. 2 sets should go on trucks fairly quickly after that,but I think our pavement will be to cold to actually judge how they work in regards to how good the tires will hook and whether they help combat wheelhop issues. Looking forward to trying them out though that's for sure:naughty:

SKWURLZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Over the years I've heard of reliability issues with the screw type superchargers when conducting OEM style dependability tests......do you happen to know what was done to the screw to make it more reliable "or" was a lower set of requirements accepted it what is/was probably considered limited quantities?

Apologize for the "off topic" stuff but this is goooood $h!t mang!

Screws still suck for reliability. You want the Eaton TVS Hybrid Roots style supercharger. OEM test parameters, and reliability is proven. TVS1900 will support approx 800HP, TVS2300 approx 950HP, and the TVS2650 over 1200hp.
All while being more efficient then their closest Twin Screw equivalent.
I'm making 511rwhp on my Magnuson TVS1900 equipped 2014 Ram R/T at only 8psi, and there still a lot more room in it.

When it comes to supercharging, bigger is usually not better, its just what customers wrongly believe, so that is what the market dictates.

SKWURLZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Ok, so why don't you send a set down here to SoCal, where the air is perfect for some drag strip passes, and some dyno pulls. I have acces to a dyno, some radials, and a race track.... just saying.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ok, so why don't you send a set down here to SoCal, where the air is perfect for some drag strip passes, and some dyno pulls. I have acces to a dyno, some radials, and a race track.... just saying.

LOL i'm almost tempted to drive down and try them out. What's the DA like down there in the winter,lol. I'm getting mighty tired of snow and slippery streets already:roflsquared:

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Back on topic.

Anyone tried these new link relocation brackets yet?
Not that i know of but i was just looking for the link tonight to look at ordering set and cost, or just designing my own and having a local 4x fab shop (Ruff Stuff)lazer them out for me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk