Spray Paint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PinkCamoDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v8 5.9
Okay so don't laugh....(I know, I say that alot haha)

Has anyone else here used spray paint to paint any part of their truck? I used spray paint to paint my rims black, and they came out great, and are holding up very well, even though I live on a gravel road. I also painted my grill black. It too is holding up well. Doesn't look ****** either! I was sitting here pondering painting my front bumper black too. The folks who had it before me never bothered to wash bug guts off, so when you get up close, the bumper has paint damage from ancient bug gut damage. :disgust:

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I think bed liner might be a better, more durable option, but from what I hear, sport bumpers are very expensive, so be sure its what you want before you pull the trigger

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I have painted things on my truck and I am not that good of a painter so it shows but its holding up. The bumper is different since its not metal, it tricky painting plastics

OP
OP
PinkCamoDodge

PinkCamoDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v8 5.9
I have always made sure to sand the surface down and then use primer first. SO FAR so good. If I do decide to do the bumper I'll post some pics....

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I painted my grill frame with plasti-dip then went over it with crylon spray paint. I say go for it and post up some pic's.

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Its a very big surface so it will be hard to get a an even coat to make it look good...but its doable. Just take your time, long even strokes, and you should be good

OP
OP
PinkCamoDodge

PinkCamoDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v8 5.9
Its a very big surface so it will be hard to get a an even coat to make it look good...but its doable. Just take your time, long even strokes, and you should be good

Very true! I will be very very careful. I want it to look as good as my grill does.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Before you touch that bumper...

Your bumper is made of urethane...I believe that was discussed. But because it is urethane it takes specific additives/paint to do a good job.

I would advise against painting it with spray cans, unless the paint is labeled for urethane bumpers. Here's why...the paint simply won't ahere.

Oh it'll stick when you spray it...but after a few days, it'll start flaking or peeling.

Now if you have the proper paint, and follow the prep procedure it's fine.

I would suggest reading a bit more on prepping and painting urethane parts and where to buy the proper products.

OP
OP
PinkCamoDodge

PinkCamoDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v8 5.9
Before you touch that bumper...

Your bumper is made of urethane...I believe that was discussed. But because it is urethane it takes specific additives/paint to do a good job.

I would advise against painting it with spray cans, unless the paint is labeled for urethane bumpers. Here's why...the paint simply won't ahere.

Oh it'll stick when you spray it...but after a few days, it'll start flaking or peeling.

Now if you have the proper paint, and follow the prep procedure it's fine.

I would suggest reading a bit more on prepping and painting urethane parts and where to buy the proper products.

I did not know that......thank you!!! Unil I can look into that, I will hold off. Learn something new everyday! I assumed it was similar to my grill, which so far, has held up well.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Yup painted my bumpers with spray paint. Turned out very good. Just need to add a coat or two more of clear and you'd never know

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i painted mine to. i had to fix a dent in it. then i scuffed the hole thing with a red scotch pad and primed still holding up fine after like 4 months. no peeling or flaking. youll be fine since your not going down to the base plastic. your just scuffing up the top layer so the next on will stick.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Yup painted my bumpers with spray paint. Turned out very good. Just need to add a coat or two more of clear and you'd never know

PLease remember that the lower bumper on a 2012 is chrome and the upper is plastic. It is not urethane. Your urethane bumper has the color molded into it.

What brand did you use?

Here's a couple of tech articles on painting Urethane...

How To Prep & Paint Urethane Bumper Covers - Hot Rod Magazine

This would work better than regular spray bombs...

VHT Hood, Bumper & Trim paint

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
My bumpers were chrome. Didn't need to paint the upper piece. I used duplicolor perfect match universal black.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I painted the front bumper pad of my gen2 with Duplicolor Perfect Match spray paint and Duplicolor primer....

Before:

bW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMFNTTUVEL1NTUFgwMDEwLmpwZw.jpg

After:

bW1jMi9EQ0lNLzEwMFNTTUVEL1NTUFgwMDA2LmpwZw-1.jpg

bW1jMi9EQ0lNLzEwMFNTTUVEL1NTUFgwMDA3LmpwZw-2.jpg

a Close up of the bumper pad:

bW1jMi9EQ0lNLzEwMFNTTUVEL1NTUFgwMDA1LmpwZw.jpg

PhnxRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I have painted pretty much everything on my truck with spray paint and its all holding up fine with no chipping or flaking. I painted my rims, front bumper, rear bumper, plastic trim, side mirrors, side steps, antenna, and grill. Then on the interior I spray painted the whole dash and all the door panels. The best paint to use in my opinion is Rustoleum brand paint. On my rims I used Rustoleum high performance wheel paint and on all the plastic and chrome on the bumpers on the exterior I used Rustoleum paint for plastic. Then on part of my bumper and grill I color matched it with Duplicolor perfect match. Then for prep work use like a 120 grit sand paper on the plastic because if you rub it to hard the plastic begins to become really rough and peel up and then on the chrome if you have any I used 80 grit sand paper and scuffed it till all the shine was gone. Then use a primer on the plastic I believe I used Rustoleum self etching primer. Then on the chrome I used Duplicolor adhesion promoter. Then just paint it up after that. I did anywhere from 3 to 5 coats depending on what I was doing. Thats how I did all my exterior. Its been about 5 months now since I have done it and it is all still holding up great. But in my opinion I think Rustoleum is a better paint brand than Duplicolor. Biggest reason besides Rustoleum prevents rust as well is because how the cans spray. Rustoleum you can spray from any angle and it will still be a steady stream while Duplicolor if you tilt the can wrong it is not a steady stream and towards the end of the can the paint will barely come out even though you can feel a lot in the can. Just my 2 cents. Here is the link that of my thread on here with pics of my truck before and after.

http://www.ramforum.com/f56/project-finally-done-14882/