Squeaking Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheJLowe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hey All,

I had some squeaking brakes on my 2016 Ram 1500 so I figured I go ahead and upgrade my brake pads and rotors with R1 Concept Rotors and EBC Green Stuff 7000 brake pads since it *** almost time anyways. I installed them about a couple months ago and have put well over 6000 miles on them but still getting the occasional squeak when initially braking only sometimes.

I took my truck to a couple Brake Masters before installing the new parts and they said everything looked good. Brake stopping power and performance is fine, actually really good now but still have the squeak.Anyone have any advice or ideas what could still be causing the squeak?

Last edited:

Mike Murphy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Deleted
Engine
Deleted
Hello, brake pads and rotors do not squeak. The noise is a stick/slip vibration that travels through the rotor and pads to the caliper slides/hardware. The part the pads ride on is thin metal and when it vibrates is creates a noise that is known as brake squeal. An easy fix is to remove the brake pads, clean the slides and lubricate them with the appropriate caliper hardware lube. Then reassemble. A heads up and warning.... if you use the wrong grease or get any on the brake rotor/brake pad, your brakes can lock up on their own and may not release.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I installed them about a couple months ago and have put well over 60000 miles on them but still getting the occasional squeak when initially braking only sometimes.

Hot damn bro! 60k in a couple months? You put some miles on that baby! Could it be that they are simply worn down and the wear indicator just telling you it's time for another set? Seems that generally the better brake pads (performance-wise) wear a little quicker as opposed to the "long lasting" pads that do go for more miles, but don't have the superior stopping power.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
i was told Petroleum based grease will deteriorate the rubber slide sleeves on the calipers and to use synthetic grease. Just make sure you clean the pad sliding surface very good as well. Pretty sure there made of brass or something soft.

Edit: Mike beat me to the punch but in essence it's all about the correct lubricant and clean surface for moving parts

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheJLowe

TheJLowe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks guys and sorry for the typo in my post! I meant 6,000, not 60,000..too many zeros! I used some anti seize on the sides when I put the new hardware on. I will definitely check it out again to go through cleaning/lubrication and see what I find.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you put some silicone on the back or each brake pad or brake pad grease as they call it?

OP
OP
TheJLowe

TheJLowe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Sounds like that's where I went wrong. I used Anti Seize if I remember correctly on the back side of the pads and clips..

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Sounds like that's where I went wrong. I used Anti Seize if I remember correctly on the back side of the pads and clips..

Anti seize has solids in it. Like copper maybe graphite and a few others. Dosent make for the best lubricant. Its main purpose is to keep dissimilar metals from sticking to each other after being immobile for extended periods of time. If used on a surface that's constantly in motion, it's like a fine grit sand paper

Last edited:

Travis Wepfer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good to know. I have perfectly good new pads and rotors and have a horrible squeak at certain applied pressures. I took them off and lubricated moving parts and it didn't fix anything so I guess I will take them off again, hit them with brake cleaner and fresh grease. Hope you got yours to quit, because mine are about to put me in the nut house.

Robert Hunt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had the noise problem as well and took it to two different places that I trust said pads and rotors are good but maybe bad brake fluid? I’ve used spray on brake cleaner and seems to work.