SRT Oil Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Got it. Right now have 2 tier 1 choices RP and Amsoil. This may give me a third. But your right. How many choices do we need. Like your posts, just wanted your take.

There is a fourth choice. Fram ultra. Great specs and we'll liked by the folk on bitog. I have seen a fram cut open over there and it did hold up well. I haven't used one though.

Dark Knight 500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Would these fit without issue in a Ram 1500 with the electronic steering rack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Got it. Right now have 2 tier 1 choices RP and Amsoil. This may give me a third. But your right. How many choices do we need. Like your posts, just wanted your take.

Wix XP as well, looks like solid construction. I believe we might need another option, I "think" wix xp is not a champion labs product, and they are in bankruptcy. So it might be a thing someday where we are looking elsewhere, but I assume if champ labs shut down RP and Amsoil would figure it out with another supplier.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The only thing I see is the carton and it doesn't show wire mesh backing. To be spun microglass it needs mesh backed media. Maybe it is there, but it doesn't state that it is there. I would use one and cut it open and see for myself, also by cutting it open you can see if the media is still pliable. A 6 month run would be good. What do these cost?

quoting myself here, srt filters are likely combo filters, and the combo filters like m1 do not need wire mesh. I posted a review of their filter in oil filter thread, you can find that thread of you look hard.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m glad I found this thread and and am interested in that SRT filter as well if it’s good enough and if it’s ok for my Hemi. I called my dealer about it but he wasn’t much help because that filter isn’t in the application book for my truck so he didn’t know if the size was still the same, if the flow rates were the same, or if the pressures were the same so he kinda recommended against it.

He did say the regular black mopar filter was fine for fully synthetic oil so I dunno, I may just stay with it since I’m gonna be under warranty for the whole time I own this truck.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
You can run the SRT filter on the 5.7 without issue. I run them on my 6.4 Ram and 392 Charger because they only cost a few bucks more for a superior filter. Having said that, if it was more expensive than it was, I wouldn’t bother running it on my Ram and would probably only run it on the Charger if I was tracking it.

There's a Q&A floating around the internet with some SRT engineers talking about the filter...

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it’s a synthetic filter, I’d probly be all over it but the only thing that concerns me from what the guys at both the service and parts counter told me was that these motors are sensitive to a specific oil pressure and they weren’t sure if all of that was the same as the black mopar filter that my truck calls for, even tho that’s the filter that calls for a higher-end Chrysler 300, Charger or Challenger.

I don’t know, there might not be anything at all wrong with using this filter but I’m just kinda nervous that it might make more oil pressure and that I thought I read in this thread that the bypass valve in it takes more pressure to activate since it’s a performance filter. I may be too overly worried but I just don’t know enough about this filter and if it works the same as the black one that my truck calls for. Maybe if I wasn’t under the pressure of warranty it wouldn’t matter but I just hate to give maxcare a reason to be jugheads if something bad were to happen. And even though I have pretty good faith in the Wix XP filter I’ve been using, I’m kinda not even wanting to continue using it because of the plain and simple fact irregardless of how good of a filter it probly is, it isn’t a manufacturer filter.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Says here that it’s for race and track use. I know what that means but what does that mean as far as technical specs? abf9036f17ce9e4cc64a7f60e1f7eb9f.jpg

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
It has a thicker can, better filter media, and can handle the higher flow of the high volume pumps. No downside.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It has a thicker can, better filter media, and can handle the higher flow of the high volume pumps. No downside.

And I agree with you. I myself don’t see anything wrong with that but if manufacturer warranty and even maxcare were just that picky enough and that anxious to find whatever reason they can to deny a claim, would it still be worth it?

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Here's the thing, Mopar makes it, but they don't make WIX.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
And I agree with you. I myself don’t see anything wrong with that but if manufacturer warranty and even maxcare were just that picky enough and that anxious to find whatever reason they can to deny a claim, would it still be worth it?

You can do what my friend at work does; keeps a stock factory oil filter, with a pair of plastic gloves, paper towels and a big plastic bag. If he has an issue on the side of the road he'll just swap them out before taking it to the dealership, or if he has warranty work to be done he has a few factory oil filters in his garage and swaps it out before taking it in. Keeps all the recipes in line with his oil recipes so there is no question if asked to provide recipes by the dealership.
I think this is a good idea and only costs a few extra bucks.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's the thing, Mopar makes it, but they don't make WIX.

But here’s also the thing; yes, that’s also a Mopar filter, but it’s not the filter that application calls for. Would that be enough for them to be ********* if something were to happen? Your guess is as good as mine.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can do what my friend at work does; keeps a stock factory oil filter, with a pair of plastic gloves, paper towels and a big plastic bag. If he has an issue on the side of the road he'll just swap them out before taking it to the dealership, or if he has warranty work to be done he has a few factory oil filters in his garage and swaps it out before taking it in. Keeps all the recipes in line with his oil recipes so there is no question if asked to provide recipes by the dealership.
I think this is a good idea and only costs a few extra bucks.

Or you could just use the factory filter....[emoji41]

I’m not saying that’s not a good idea, I’m just simply saying that one would have to ask themselves if using a non-OEM filter is worth all that just to use whatever filter they wanted and still be in compliance with warranty to help keep themselves from helping to possibly screw themselves out of a claim.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Simple.....use the filter you want......put correct filter on if there is a reason to take to dealer for warranty issues.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Simple.....use the filter you want......put correct filter on if there is a reason to take to dealer for warranty issues.

Believe me, I waste money just as much as much as some people but spinning off a perfectly good, more expensive oil filter just to not raise eyebrows at the dealership just doesn’t seem to make sense to me.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run the SRT filter on my 11 5.7 4x4 crewcab. 7500 mile oic, oil pressure 53 at speed, engine quiet no concerns.

So, why do you run that filter, or not just something better from the aftermarket? In other words, what sold you on it? Being that you have an 8 year old truck, it’s doubtful you have a warranty to consider.