Stahlbus Oil Drain Valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Has anyone installed a Stahlbus Oil Drain Valve on their RAM ?? If so, can you advise if you have had any con's to installing one ..
I bought a new 2020 Ram last year and I will be doing my first oil change soon ... I also purchased a Stahlbus drain valve for it, but I am having second thoughts as to whether or not I should use it ...
Any pros or cons would be welcomed ... Thanks

th?id=OIP.jpg
The cons that I found with Stahlbus is they are not American made and don't have the triple protection offered by Valvomax.

Valvomax is made in Houston, Texas and we have them on all of our Rams. They drain a lot faster than Fumoto (which was the valve back in the day but Valvomax has made them obsolete) and just seem more solid/dependable. No leaks or issues with ours at all.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That looks similar to the Fram Sure Drain I had years ago. I really liked it, but make sure not to over-tighten.

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I bought Fumoto for the wife’s SUV and my Ram. Just pulled the wife’s off after the first oil change because it took way too long to drain. I actually ended up removing it while it was still draining. The one for my Ram never would thread in despite triple checking part number and thread. Both are paper weights in the garage now. Just faster to do it the traditional way for my vehicles.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I'd worry about some chit-brained neighbor kid crawling under my truck and saying, "Hey, what's this little thing do?"....

Terry1958

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone installed a Stahlbus Oil Drain Valve on their RAM ?? If so, can you advise if you have had any con's to installing one ..
I bought a new 2020 Ram last year and I will be doing my first oil change soon ... I also purchased a Stahlbus drain valve for it, but I am having second thoughts as to whether or not I should use it ...
Any pros or cons would be welcomed ... Thanks

View attachment 458808
Not the Stahlbus, but have the Valvomax on every vehicle I have (4). So I obviously love it. Easier, quicker and with the drain hose no wind blown oil.

Last edited:

Terry1958

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it really that difficult to put a wrench on the factory drain plug for oil changes? No it's not and it takes maybe 5 seconds to remove.
What's the big deal?
Why spend $45 bucks for an unnecessary gadget?
Maybe because it is worth it to some people (me). Necessary? no, but if it works and people like using it, and don't mind spending $45, why not?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Is it really that difficult to put a wrench on the factory drain plug for oil changes? No it's not and it takes maybe 5 seconds to remove.
What's the big deal?
Why spend $45 bucks for an unnecessary gadget?
The big deal is not having to fight the wind when draining. I also relocated the filter so changing oil is easy.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
The big deal is not having to fight the wind when draining. I also relocated the filter so changing oil is easy.
Also it is great for doing remote oil changes when not at your home. I have done at least 7 oil changes in the back corner of a Walmart parking lot on a motorhome while on the road for extended periods of time. Never spilled a drop using a short tube into an empty 5 quart oil jug. The valve also allows you to stop the flow to position a second jug after the first one gets nearly full. That got me spoiled and I decided to place a valve on the RAM. A lot of long distance travel gets done in the RAM and so far I have done three remote changes on it as well.
It might not be for everyone but it works nicely for me and never a drop on the ground.

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with Fumoto. Been using them for 20 years. I don't miss hot oil running down my arm, dropping plug in pan, splashing oil on the floor. As far as slower, it's ok I spend at least an hour under my vehicle anyway. Look at brake hoses, oil leaks, boots, trans. I rather find problems on my garage floor instead of the side of the road. Nick

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve got a Fumoto valve on both my ‘18 Ram and the wife’s ‘15 Wrangler. Both work perfectly and both have the nipple on them. I also attach the hose for oil changes on those windy days because you would be surprised how breezy it can get under those vehicles with all the additional ground clearance. Avoids a mess and the wife yelling at me for messing up the driveway. I don’t however have one on my ‘87 Foxbody. And that’s where it could really be useful as she has two drain plugs for both sumps on the pan. But that car is way low to the ground. I wouldn’t feel comfortable in that scenario as those valves do hang down a bit.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I've been using Fumato valves, with hose nipple, on all my trucks since 2005. They make it so easy. They have a very positive open or closed detent and lock up very well, or you can put the locking tab on them if you're ****. I've never had a leak or a problem as they are a quality product.

They also make it easy to get a sample for lab testing. Yes, oil drains slower, but I use that time to make my equipment and safety checks.

I also have one on my Eco's rear fuel filter for easy water checks and draining when changing the filter.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I was about half way through my last oil change when the wind started gusting back and forth. In just a few seconds I had oil on both front tires and every everywhere in between. I was ... not happy.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I was about half way through my last oil change when the wind started gusting back and forth. In just a few seconds I had oil on both front tires and every everywhere in between. I was ... not happy.
I used to prop up big pieces of cardboard with trash cans to block the wind. Now with my fumoto valve I put a piece of hose on the nipple right into a jug or drain pan.

Hoochiemama38DD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well folks, I do mine in a 14" Celing Garage that I can park 2 RV's in if I want to. My husband loves working in there with no wind to deal with but this plug seems a great way to handle the oil change process. Now another matter that stupid engineer that put the oil filter right behind the front drive shaft and Electronic actuator really is annoying. Checking out Relocating the filter housing with a kit. Any recommendations?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well folks, I do mine in a 14" Celing Garage that I can park 2 RV's in if I want to. My husband loves working in there with no wind to deal with but this plug seems a great way to handle the oil change process. Now another matter that stupid engineer that put the oil filter right behind the front drive shaft and Electronic actuator really is annoying. Checking out Relocating the filter housing with a kit. Any recommendations?

I started with the single kit,then upgraded to the dual kit.There's other kits available Improved Racing is one outfit to look at

Attachments

• DSCN4954.JPG
    DSCN4954.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN3985.JPG
    DSCN3985.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 5