Starting in the cold...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jdom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've owned my new truck for about 6 months now and I have been impressed so far but this morning it was -2°f... after warming up from -7°f and I forgot to plug it in. Thought I would do a video as I was going to start it up anyways so why not...

I am very impressed with how well this diesel starts in the normal cold. My tractor doesn't start this good!!

This is my first diesel truck, is it bad to start them up in this type of really cold weather with out heating them with the block heater?

Last edited:

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Gotta love the no nonsense sound of a Cummins.

OP
OP
J

Jdom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My coworker has a new duramax and you cant even hear it running... My truck is all stock but I really like how the cummins sounds too.

I've owned 22 vehicles and this truck is by far my favorite! Now I get why everyone drives them to go get groceries :)

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Using antigel and cetane booster?

OP
OP
J

Jdom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
no, not normally. The fuel around here says on the pumps "good to -20".... for #2 and #1 is even lower. Should i not trust them?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
It sure would not hurt, I would run Diesel Klein im the white bottle in the winter and the gray bottle in summer.

I never plugged my Cummins in and it allways fired up with no problems.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Jdom, I would and did on my previous Cummins. Its cheap at wall Mart.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Truck Cover for the Win, just say'n. If you don't have anti gel in the lines at such a time when you need them, it is too late.

OP
OP
J

Jdom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I thought I read somewhere that you should be careful when using additives with winterized diesel because they can cause issues with the additives that are already in the fuel. Has anyone had this problem before? I mean... its on the internet so it has to be true right? ;)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you have winterized diesel, you should be ok in the first place.

Is it marked at the pump, or you just use d1?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jdom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Truck Cover for the Win, just say'n. If you don't have anti gel in the lines at such a time when you need them, it is too late.

like a garage? lol wish my truck fit in my garage :(

my garage barely fits my tractor... or my wife's Subaru. Why would anyone waste the money building such small building, especially in the frozen north :confused:

OP
OP
J

Jdom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you have winterized diesel, you should be ok in the first place.

Is it marked at the pump, or you just use d1?

Most #2 pumps dont have anything other than the #2 diesel signs on them so you have to ask, starting in October or Ill just get #2 if I fuel up at the truck stop because they go through the fuel so fast, but if I go to any not so busy smaller stations, I usually spend the cash for the #1 or 50/50 because who knows if its old summer fuel or fresh winter fuel. But there are so many diesel pickups running around up here, I'm sure the smaller guys even run through the fuel fast enough.

Last edited:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You can add most diesel additives without causing problems as long as they're marked safe for ultra low sulphur. If it's winter diesel though it will already be fine. Summer diesel will gel without it though so if you're not sure I'd add it to be safe.