Starting up my own auto detailing company!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
Guys around here charge upwards of 75 plus to wax stuff if that helps any but to be honest if i lived in n/c you'd have my truck alot

OP
OP
GlOcKnRaM

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
You think so? Im definitely making wax a separate fee as that's a whole other bit of labor. I just don't want to charge to much if im using their water/power supply. Once that changes Ill raise my prices!

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
another thing you could add to your list would be claybar.

OP
OP
GlOcKnRaM

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Very true...maybe buy some fukken wax in bulk and use that as my interior detailer!

Red 2012 Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The deal on Armor All drying out your interior was years ago. They added a "moisturizer" because they did used to have a problem actually cracking dashes. If you need a portable vac, dewalt makes a great 18v vac that can be used on 110v too. I have a big wet dry vac but won't get it out to do my truck because the dewalt does such a good job.

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
meh, my dewalt vacuum I use at work(sounds like the same one you have) is okay but not great. Good for light dirt but nothing engrained to any extent. Also, **** mice!

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ya man best of luck hope this goes welll for you maybe if it does you can get in good with some venders get good prices on wax and stuff. What do you use for interior i used to use armor all i like maguiers stuff better thats me though i like it to stay shiny.

Let us know how this goes man and like i said best of luck

( hes just doing this for mod money lol )

OP
OP
GlOcKnRaM

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Shhhh don't tell anyone why im doing this lol. Its mainly to give me something to do on my days off! I got the idea after washing my wifes bosses car. She has a Jeep Patriot, washed it one day for her..inside and out and gave me $100. Probably some of that as a tip/thank you lol. But if I can make $300 in a day, im all for that!

Recontango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I have thought of this in the past too, if I ever get laid off, this is something I would like to try.

I agree, charge more for the wax job.

Also, I would use a premium product care line. If you are using stuff that folks can't just go buy at their local parts store you can play that angle up. Of course folks on here are Fukken fans, great products. I also really like Chemical Guys and Adams. Will cost you some cash to get the product lineups, but I think you could make it pay bigger in the long run. If you end up with some high end clients, they won't want turtle wax anywhere near their rides, I know I wouldn't.

Good luck!

BIGBLACKHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not bad prices.. when I worked for my dad detailing we charged about $250 for a full detail on cars including interior.. you have some room for more profit.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a couple of suggestions, but once again it is IMHO---
1. Like someone already said, you need to upgrade your product line. If you use auto parts store or big box store products I think your profit margin is decreased as far as what you can charge. If you tell people you use "professional specaility detail products" and you show them your product line I think you can charge higher prices.(within reason)
2. You need to define "detail" Wash, clay bar, polish, seal then wax or just wax or just wash and wax or or or----what all does it include.
3. Do you know how to do paint correction?
4. Do you have a buffer or are you doing everything by hand?
There are a lot of small hidden expenses(mostly for materials) that you don't really think of. Good luck, I hope everything turns out well for your new venture. Word of mouth is the best advertising you can have, with a great looking finished product to back it up.
Jay

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good luck; it's a trip!
I ran a mobile detailing business until I had kids. It was fun, rewarding and profitable. I used Vistaprint for bus cards; do a GOOD job on those, and make sure your Bus. name is catchy but professional. And remember to be a businessman at all times! It's AMAZING what a single contact can turn into.
A guy I detailed his Explorer for right before his wedding hit it big, and recommended me to his exotic car club; Porches, Ferraris and Maseratis, oh my! LOL

BTW most people don't know well enough to not like Armour All, but you may want a couple boutique products in your arsenal which you can't buy off the shelf to impress higher-end clients(and a surcharge, of course). (I use Armour-All for my wheel well liners.)

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I got a little carry around shop vac for 30bucks at walmart. It runs off 120 but it's absolutely awesome. It stays in my truck as I'm getting more ocd over.

Also for cleaning engine I always cover the important stuff and spray simple green and let it sit then spray it off.

Been thinking of doing this also as I usually end up doing all of my families for free anyway.

CumminsCrazed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins 24v
I have a couple of suggestions, but once again it is IMHO---
1. Like someone already said, you need to upgrade your product line. If you use auto parts store or big box store products I think your profit margin is decreased as far as what you can charge. If you tell people you use "professional specaility detail products" and you show them your product line I think you can charge higher prices.(within reason)
2. You need to define "detail" Wash, clay bar, polish, seal then wax or just wax or just wash and wax or or or----what all does it include.
3. Do you know how to do paint correction?
4. Do you have a buffer or are you doing everything by hand?
There are a lot of small hidden expenses(mostly for materials) that you don't really think of. Good luck, I hope everything turns out well for your new venture. Word of mouth is the best advertising you can have, with a great looking finished product to back it up.
Jay

I second what Pull Ya says.....ive been running a side detailing business since about 2009 or 2010.

Your prices are WAY to cheap - My wash alone - no wax and a simple interior cleaning is 40.00

My biggest package including paint correction, wax, seal, shampoo, deodorizer, engine etc is 200 for small cars - price goes up 25% for trucks and SUVs

You need to be using a better product than Armor All. Not saying their bad, but for a similar price you can buy stuff that far exceeds their quality. I use Meguiars EXCLUSIVELY and i use products in every line they offer, OTC, Pro and Detailer lines. Their products are inexpensive, CAN be bought in stores if your in a pinch (auto parts mainly for Pro and Detailer)

You need to broaden your explanation for what exactly you do in each package. You need to explain your method if a customer asks and give potential customers a better idea of what you will be doing if they come to you for services to their vehicle

also as Pull Ya said - learn and know paint correction. Offer it and adjust pricing accordingly.

I could go on all night about this but i dont want to spend my evening typing haha

if ya got any questions PM me. BTW - Heres my logo so ya got an idea

detailing_logocrop.jpg

OP
OP
GlOcKnRaM

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Thanks guys for all the tips and pointers! I had my first customer today, aka my Dads truck lol. I have 4 more cars lined up for next week! So far its starting off good! I did raise my prices, as I guess I set myself a little low. New prices are on the first page!! I took before/after pics of the interior but I didnt take any before pics of the exterior, just after. My parents are going to a camping show this weekend with friends. So they are going to pass out my business cards and spread my business by word of mouth! I have 2 suv's lined up next week, and 2 trucks! So here's some more pics of my work...

Before
DSCN1077_zps2fea7986.jpg

DSCN1078_zps91d30c70.jpg

After
DSCN1079_zps202d3d80.jpg

DSCN1081_zps85c97a9f.jpg

DSCN1080_zps40bc79a0.jpg

DSCN1089_zps70b2f3e5.jpg

DSCN1087_zps66d2e7cb.jpg

DSCN1088_zps4b5692c8.jpg

Roll_HEMI_Tide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've considered doing this myself, because I actually like putting time into detailing a vehicle and making it shine like it did when it first showed up at the dealership.

But...I can't exactly afford (or qualify) to rent out a building to operate out of. I've thought of a "mobile" detail service, but I don't really know how that would work, considering I'd be using customer's water and whatnot.

OP
OP
GlOcKnRaM

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Well for now im using customers water/power supply and thats why my prices are a little cheap. However when I invest in my own pressure washer, water tank and generator my prices will go up and my business will grow..I hope!

Roll_HEMI_Tide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well for now im using customers water/power supply and thats why my prices are a little cheap. However when I invest in my own pressure washer, water tank and generator my prices will go up and my business will grow..I hope!

You may be on to something, my friend. I know my city doesn't have a mobile wash service. There's only one hand wash place and they charge a small fortune, upwards of $150 for compact cars.

Then there's the self-service and drive-thru washes. I know there are tons of people like me who would rather let their vehicle be dirty than let some heavy washing equipment bounce off their ride.

I really need to check into this.