Stereo replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atxmike53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Crutchfield tells me there is no replacement head unit for my 2019 with 8.4 inch and no Alpine. I searched on the datalink maestro site and they did not show a module for the truck either!

One Mile Up

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
@atxmike53 -- it appears to when I plugged in your truck make / model / year :think:

Edit: I highlighted the "Classic" didn't mean to... whoopsie! It appears that there is compatibility with the 2019 1500 (NON classic version) -- but it will NOT retain back-up camera... which is weird. :sad72:
1684792305740.png

OP
OP
BigHossRides

BigHossRides

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l v6
I am having the random switching inputs and everything on my 2018 8.4 system now also. What did you do to fix the issue and did it work?
I haven't done anything yet but I'm thinking of just changing the head unit. I've heard that is a good way fix the problem. I've had some folks on hear send me info about a software update, but when I went to the site it said the best way for that is to go to the dealership and have them check for updates and to have them install it. I'm thinking that will be more expensive then just replacing the unit.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Just go to the CRUTCHFIELD website
enter your vehicles data
search through the radios that are listed
when you find one that you like, make sure that will retain the Steering Wheel Controls

Unless you or a friend, can work with fiberglass or Custom Sheet Metal, i would put that 10" fancy Ram radio out of your thoughts

One Mile Up

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Unless you or a friend, can work with fiberglass or Custom Sheet Metal, i would put that 10" fancy Ram radio out of your thoughts
My installer said mine bolted in… no custom modifications needed as far as sheet metal or fiberglass. He did say he used the new center dash plastic “plate” tho (that came with the kit)… the one that goes around the stereo and HVAC controls.

Mbirley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I'm having intermiten problems with my 8.4 not wanting to power up when I start the truck, if it does this then when I get going down the road all of sudden the radio comes. So when it won't come when engine is started I don't have back up camera, or phone call capability til it decides to come on.
Thinking of replacing it with aftermarket 10.4 in tablet style,any one ever put one in and if so how is it doing?
Had a dealer friend tell me to replace it years ago because he said factory radios are crap.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Does this work with Navigation? Do you need a harness adapter ?
The Apple Car Play / Android Auto works far better than the factory NAV that requires updates. Using Google maps is fantastic, or Waze, too.

So, no worries on not having any NAV with an upgraded head unit, just make sure it has Apple Car Play / Android Auto and you're good to go.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Crutchfield tells me there is no replacement head unit for my 2019 with 8.4 inch and no Alpine. I searched on the datalink maestro site and they did not show a module for the truck either!
I've got a Kenwood DMX975RX installed in my 19' (purchased from Crutchfield) and it works flawlessly.

Mbirley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I’ve had the same problems with RA4 unit. I ended up sending it to Infotainment for repair. I paid about $300 to fix it. They ended up replacing the main board and gps board which fixed the problems. Just be advised that i had to ship it back to repair the GPS that still wasn’t working and the said was fine. They covered the cost of shipping 3 day FEDEX the second time around.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am having the random switching inputs and everything on my 2018 8.4 system now also. What did you do to fix the issue and did it work?
Matt, the random switching of radio stations, inputs and loss of some functionality is typically a bad touchscreen. I see you have a 2018. The 2018 MY was/is notorious for the defective 8.4 radio touchscreen. I know because my 2018 had the same problem, welcome to the club! On the 2018 and a few very late build 2017’s the glue that holds the glass to the digitizer was defective. The touchscreen was made by LG and they admitted they used defective glue. To confirm you have a ***** screen and it is your problem look at your radio screen from a side angle in bright indirect light. Does it look like bubbles under the glass? Does it appear that the upper portion of the screen has a void or bubble under the glass? It looks like the upper portion is melting behind the glass. If you see this then it’s causing the phantom inputs. It will only get worse and even though Ram knows about the problem AND LG admits to using faulty glue there is no recall. I’ll assume you are out of warranty also. You have several options if you want to keep with the factory radio. You can contact Ram cares and ask them to open a case for you requesting a goodwill replacement or repair. I’ve read here some owners have success that route. You can also contact U Connect and struggle through getting a supervisor to approve a replacement since they are the ones that control the software on these radios. You can also ask your local dealer for support. My dealer knew about the problem and replaced my unit with a remanufactured unit for $100 and that included a one year warranty. The remanufactured units have an updated screen from LG with appropriate glue. You can purchase a new unit from Ram and they are about $1200. You can purchase a remanufactured unit from a third party but that is still an expensive option. You can also purchase the new updated screen and replace it yourself. It’s a pretty easy replacement and there are several YouTube vids showing how it’s done. The new screens go for $350-400 on eBay. If you go that route make sure it’s the upgraded model and the part number ends in (2) or (3). The numbers 2 or 3 will actually be in parentheses like I typed above. Beware of sellers who don’t show the part number as they try to pass off the original crummy screens as suitable replacements. You can also try to repair your existing unit. It involves removing the glass from the digitizer and cleaning up the gooey mess, then re-gluing the glass to the digitizer with new glue. Lots of room for errors and breakage re-gluing the screen but others have done it and there are YouTube vids of it being done. One last thing. If you happen to have a screen protector on your radio screen that you put on, remove it and see if that fixes the problem. Some aftermarket screen protectors create phantom inputs also. Good luck!

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got a Kenwood DMX975RX installed in my 19' (purchased from Crutchfield) and it works flawlessly.

How do you like kenwoods? I’ve always had pioneers in vehicles. But I’ve read a lot lately about pioneers bricking because of internal SD card. As it is my factory radio likes to restart on its own.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
How do you like kenwoods? I’ve always had pioneers in vehicles. But I’ve read a lot lately about pioneers bricking because of internal SD card. As it is my factory radio likes to restart on its own.
It's a fantastic piece of equipment. It went through a cold winter here with zero issues. The functionality is spot on, and its features for fine tuning your audio tastes is great, too.

It also has a great feature I just found out about, it reads and resets CEL's. It has some really neat vehicle performance features as well. I highly recommend Kenwood.

Yes, this particular unit is on the expensive side, but the way I looked at it was to think long term and as an investment in my driving experiences, and for reliability, too.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a fantastic piece of equipment. It went through a cold winter here with zero issues. The functionality is spot on, and its features for fine tuning your audio tastes is great, too.

It also has a great feature I just found out about, it reads and resets CEL's. It has some really neat vehicle performance features as well. I highly recommend Kenwood.

Yes, this particular unit is on the expensive side, but the way I looked at it was to think long term and as an investment in my driving experiences, and for reliability, too.
So you have owned pioneer in past and prefer this? I had an avhp that I wired myself back in the day. The SD card bricking I’m not ok with read enough where I feel I shouldn’t go pioneer so maybe it’s time to try something else. I also have an iPhone so CarPlay would be fine right no need for a dedicated nav? Also would want to have it bypassed like I did my old pioneer.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I've had Pioneer, back in the day.

I did my research on this forum and other places and the Kenwood resonated as a reliable and quality product.

The Apple CarPlay / Android Auto feature is great, and is also another reason I went with this model of Kenwood unit as I don't need a NAV head unit that needs updating and a slightly higher cost, too. I use Google Maps & Waze and it's great all the time.

Just get the appropriate CanBus integrating items required for our vehicles to work with 'non proprietary' head units and you'll be fine.

divemaster5734

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I followed that link and it showed a 6.75" screen.
I have a 2014 Laramie Longhorn with 8" screen.
Is there an option you used to upgrade to a 10"?

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Yes..went to a smaller screen, but a much more advanced head unit.

They have a larger 10" floating screen... but it's too much screen for me...

I recommend Kenwood... whatever size you choose... consider their Excelon Reference series... a bit more... but worth every single penny!

The display on this one is perfect...and highly detailed... losing a little size for a much better head unit is a small sacrifice

Last edited: