Still fighting with FCA about my 8 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why don't you buy yourself a heater assembly and install it.Only 3 bolts and a couple lines hold it on the side of the transmission.They aren't that expensive. When I did my tranny,there was another guy doing his convertor swap at the same time ,and he bought a new heater assembly for around $80.00 USD,through a relative that was a parts manager at a local dealership,so even with-out the good guy price,they're probably still around a 100 bucks USD.I flushed the **** out of my heater assembly with the gold plated ZF fluid and spent more on fluid then he did on the heater,but he was a couple days behind me ,so I didn't find this out till after I had my new 8sp back in place.You might want to flush the cooler and lines to,or even invest in a new A/C condenser/tranny cooler.Keep all your bills,and submit them to FCA,you never know,they might reimburse you if that fixes your issues
What issues?

No CEL no issues! :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

Pettybilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why don't you buy yourself a heater assembly and install it.Only 3 bolts and a couple lines hold it on the side of the transmission.They aren't that expensive. When I did my tranny,there was another guy doing his convertor swap at the same time ,and he bought a new heater assembly for around $80.00 USD,through a relative that was a parts manager at a local dealership,so even with-out the good guy price,they're probably still around a 100 bucks USD.I flushed the **** out of my heater assembly with the gold plated ZF fluid and spent more on fluid then he did on the heater,but he was a couple days behind me ,so I didn't find this out till after I had my new 8sp back in place.You might want to flush the cooler and lines to,or even invest in a new A/C condenser/tranny cooler.Keep all your bills,and submit them to FCA,you never know,they might reimburse you if that fixes your issues

If the truck was out of warranty i would, however i refuse to touch it whiles its under warranty. FCA could then make the argument that it was something i did. Besides, the TMU may very well be the problem, yet the trans has seen 240 plus several times, it whines in 6th gear, and at times down shifts fell like you have been rear ended it hits so hard.
My trans is on the way out, the question is will it make it through warranty, or if i make enough noise on these forums to get FCA to do the right thing?
FCA knows there is a problem, yet refuses to do anything about it.

Thats the real problem.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has RAMcares been involved?

OP
OP
P

Pettybilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has RAMcares been involved?

Yes, I had a case manager.
The problem is the case manager relies on the dealer for information.
So they was zero help cause the dealer is telling them nothing is wrong.

The case manager didn't do anything for me. Hell I even had on dealer ,Stateline in Fortmill that said he didn't even want to get involved and basically told me to go somewhere else.

steven_sbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Contact Steve White Motors, Newton NC. Talk to Luke in service. Explain the symptoms of your problem, ask for a trans fluid flush and fill, then see what happens. Don't take the truck to a local shop. That could cause Ram to say the local shop caused a problem. Keep us posted.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have such little faith in dealer service, one option is find a good transmission shop thats familiar with the 8hp70, explain what is going on and have them replace the heater unit and check the cooler. .. If you really want to keep the truck that is.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Contact Steve White Motors, Newton NC. Talk to Luke in service. Explain the symptoms of your problem, ask for a trans fluid flush and fill, then see what happens. Don't take the truck to a local shop. That could cause Ram to say the local shop caused a problem. Keep us posted.
This almost feels like what FCA wants.

Make it your fault for wanting to take better care of your truck than they will.

OP
OP
P

Pettybilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have such little faith in dealer service, one option is find a good transmission shop thats familiar with the 8hp70, explain what is going on and have them replace the heater unit and check the cooler. .. If you really want to keep the truck that is.

I have zero faith in my local dealers. And less in FCA customer service.
I dont really want to keep the truck, im considering a 2500 diesel. What im trying to avoid is trading the truck in and losing money on the trade. My plan was to keep the truck 3 to 4 yrs, im only one year in now. I also dont want the truck end up screwing someone else because of FCA's failure to resolve this issue.

I want the truck fixed so i can enjoy it for the next few years.

Thanks, i'll give them a call in the morning.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I'll Try to keep this short and to the point.

Does anyone know any dealers that actually care to do the right thing in the Charlotte area?
I've been told by Keffer, and Classic that there's nothing wrong with my truck.
I even had the service manager from Classic do a ridealong and he seen with his own eyes my trans temp get up to 240, heard the whining noise it makes and still says that's normal.
Showed him the picture below of the trans temp at 271, he's response was , " well there no CEL, if something was wrong there would be a CEL"
Does anyone know when a high temp CEL would be set? I mean if 271 wont do it what will?

Well yesterday coming back from the mountains, temp was up around 240, went to pass a car and the trans attempted to shift into 5th. However it was like it was in neutral, it then shifted to 6th,then back to 5th, made a loud bang, so loud it woke a sleeping teenager in the back seat.
I could get it to bang in 5th every time afterwards, just not nearly like the first time.

This dam truck is going leave me stranded or worse my wife and kids.
FCA refuses to acknowledge there is something wrong.
This is trans # 2 and it's worse than the first one.
I had a case manager and as nice as she was, she didn't do anything for me. They rely on the dealers, and they suck.

Any advice in dealing with FCA, or if you know someone who works at Auburn Hills who has a pulse who can help me out would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 147195

View attachment 147196
Another dealership horrible service experience. This has gotten so bad over this last year; I've seen more guys including me that have been ****** around by the dealership.
271 degrees tranny temperatures are NOT normal, they know it, we know it, even a blind monkey knows it. But that's not the objective; the mission, the goal is to deny as many warranty claims as possible, and Get That Truck past it's warranty period. This is a designed system from FCA and the dealership is doing the dirty work.

I know your looking for advice but FCA is holding all the cards, and they do whatever they want. I would try a different dealership, but honestly is the juice worth the squeeze?

If they refuse to fix it, dump it.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Petty, I hear you on not wanting to shaft anyone. I'm the same way. IMO, you're not shafting anyone by trading it in other than FCA and the lousy dealer.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is terrible ! Most dealers service departments SUCK !
Fortunately I've found a good one in Johnson City, Tn.

271° f on your xsmn temp is not normal under the situation you described ; however , the fluid can take that heat and the 240° temps you've described .

This does need to be fixed , like you I'd be after a new xsmn & theromo valve this time around and a like vehicle to drive while they have it in for service .

Good luck Sir and keep us posted !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not saying you should go this extreme , but years ago when I lived in Atlanta there was a guy having some sort of New Truck issue ( Ford ) that his selling dealer had been jerking him around for months .... this fella had it towed to his dealer on a flatbed and had a local news team with him ( Cameras , Talent , Van outside with the giant antennas the whole shebang) as he went to speak to the service writer ....long story short the dealers GM made a deal with the news affiliate to not air the footage and sent this fella home in a Brand New Truck [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

I only know of this because I knew a service tech there and for what it's worth most times the service techs hands are tied in these situations , even if they have a solid diagnosis of the issue [emoji36][emoji36]

OP
OP
P

Pettybilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not saying you should go this extreme , but years ago when I lived in Atlanta there was a guy having some sort of New Truck issue ( Ford ) that his selling dealer had been jerking him around for months .... this fella had it towed to his dealer on a flatbed and had a local news team with him ( Cameras , Talent , Van outside with the giant antennas the whole shebang) as he went to speak to the service writer ....long story short the dealers GM made a deal with the news affiliate to not air the footage and sent this fella home in a Brand New Truck [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

I only know of this because I knew a service tech there and for what it's worth most times the service techs hands are tied in these situations , even if they have a solid diagnosis of the issue [emoji36][emoji36]

Good idea, I just email my local news station.
I'll let you know how it goes

TheRealSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m with the other guy. I’d take it back to the same dealership that says it has no issues and trade it in for a new one. If the transmission burns up your going to lose about $5k on it anyway. Once I considered trading in a Chevy because the warranty was almost out. I decided to keep it and buy a new bass boat instead of trading in the truck. The transmission went out at about 38000 miles and I had to come up with $5k to replace the transmission.

TheRealSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Every transmission I’ve ever had to replace supposedly “overheated and burned up” for no apparent reason. Dealership service departments never seem to be able to identify any kind of malfunction on any vehicle that is still under warranty so unless it falls of your truck I don’t think they will fix that transmission.
You could take your truck to a transmission shop and have it serviced or a diagnostic done on it. A visit to the transmission shop seems to be the best way to make sure a good transmission goes bad!
If it’s possible I’d trade that truck in ASAP. Dealerships are stuck with plenty 2017 - 2019 trucks that they can’t sale. I’m sure you can find a good deal and avoid paying for a new transmission.

TheRealSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I watched my transmission temperature this afternoon and it did not go over 190. I’d say something is bad wrong with your truck if it’s going up to 270.

OP
OP
P

Pettybilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I watched my transmission temperature this afternoon and it did not go over 190. I’d say something is bad wrong with your truck if it’s going up to 270.

Mine runs 190 around town, get on the freeway cruising @70 it will run 240. At that temp it whines in 6th and makes some serious banging and clunking when it downshifts. It ran 271 with the wife coming from Charleston. It was August, probably close to 100 outside, so that might had something to do with it.
Either way something is definitely wrong. And now the trans is toast in my opinion.

TheRealSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My Ram has a 5.7 with 8 speed. It was only 50 here today. I was in stop and go traffic in town. I ran 70 to 80 on the interstate and 60 on a back road. It seemed like the operating temp was 180 to 190 and whatever cooling system it has kicks in around 185.
If the transmission overheated the fluid will have a different smell to it and look darker. A bad transfer case or a bad torque converter can make a banging noise. Transmissions usually loose all or some gears when they go out. I’ve never had a transmission do what yours did.
I doubt they will ever make that transmission good unless it fails completely. Only other option I can think of is paying a transmission shop to look at it and talking to a lawyer. I don’t think I’d tie up my money repairing or replacing a transmission that should be under warranty. Personally, I’d have such a fit in that dealership that they would work a deal to replace the truck, the transmission or have the cops haul me away kicking and screaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m with the other guy. I’d take it back to the same dealership that says it has no issues and trade it in for a new one. If the transmission burns up your going to lose about $5k on it anyway. Once I considered trading in a Chevy because the warranty was almost out. I decided to keep it and buy a new bass boat instead of trading in the truck. The transmission went out at about 38000 miles and I had to come up with $5k to replace the transmission.

This is a great idea. That way, if they do any sort of pre-trade inspection, and find something with the trans you have them dead to rights and get it fixed under warranty. Either way, dump that thing quick before you’re out of warranty (by time or mileage).