Still fighting with FCA about my 8 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheRealSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I still think trading it at the dealership that says the transmission is fine would be the only real justice. “Your service department just went through the truck and said it was perfect!” Dodge is notorious for bad vehicles and bad service. I wouldn’t be surprised to walk outside and find all that was left of my Ram was pile of metal shavings, the license plate and four mud grip tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I still think trading it at the dealership that says the transmission is fine would be the only real justice. “Your service department just went through the truck and said it was perfect!” Dodge is notorious for bad vehicles and bad service. I wouldn’t be surprised to walk outside and find all that was left of my Ram was pile of metal shavings, the license plate and four mud grip tires.

While Ive never had major issues, Ive always wanted to do this.

"What you mean there is a problem? Your service department said no CEL, no problem!" Sounds just like a used car lot TV commercial

OP
OP
P

Pettybilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Before I got in the freeway my temps was 188.
Less than 10 miles it's up to 228, and its 33 degrees outside.

20181127_064132.jpg

20181127_064114.jpg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the display gauge ever get up into the tiny red line for "H"? If so Id snap a pic of that too.

Regardless of numbers, if any of those gauges get into the red line area, would no dealer think that's an issue?

OP
OP
P

Pettybilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the display gauge ever get up into the tiny red line for "H"? If so Id snap a pic of that too.

Regardless of numbers, if any of those gauges get into the red line area, would no dealer think that's an issue?

The wife was driving when it hit 271, I had it set to show all gauges at the time and didn't think about switching to just the trans temp.
But 240-250 is the 3/4 mark on the gauge, so I'd say 271 was close to ******* it.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make it happen again, take a pic and then just play dumb

"what does it mean when the gauge is in the red?"

I find it ironic how small the red line is, it must take a lot of heat to get it that high.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

The dealership will take the trade and just send it to auction and kick that can down the road.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The dealership will take the trade and just send it to auction and kick that can down the road.

I think the idea was more to see if they knock the trade value down because of the transmission "issue" that doesnt exist according to the service department, but might exist when they are valuing the truck.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I think the idea was more to see if they knock the trade value down because of the transmission "issue" that doesnt exist according to the service department, but might exist when they are valuing the truck.

Understand. My point is they also can call his bluff and give him full value for his trade and send it to auction anyways to wash their hands of it and kick the can down the road.

It is not a given a dealership will take his trade and put it on their used car lot even though it is relatively new. Dealerships take in minty trades all the time and flip them to auction, not just the worn out jalopies.

His issue is not readily apparent or will show in the short time a vehicle is handled on the lot or at a auction yard so it can be passed off until the next buyer takes possession.

TheRealSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It has to be bad. That 180 to 190 temp I had yesterday was over about 40 minutes. The outside temperature dropped to high 40s and the transmission temp went a little lower than 180. I’m about to hook on to a trailer and haul it through town so I’ll be able to tell you how high the temp goes towing in stop and go city traffic.

TheRealSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My transmission stayed around 180 hauling a 16’ trailer around town this morning. It’s 55 degrees here today.

Salisbury steak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Contact Steve White Motors, Newton NC. Talk to Luke in service. Explain the symptoms of your problem, ask for a trans fluid flush and fill, then see what happens. Don't take the truck to a local shop. That could cause Ram to say the local shop caused a problem. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
P

Pettybilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make it happen again, take a pic and then just play dumb

"what does it mean when the gauge is in the red?"

I find it ironic how small the red line is, it must take a lot of heat to get it that high.

I'm not sure it will get that high now its winter.
It hit 271 back in the summer.
The further you drive at a steady speed at or above 70 the higher it gets.
Going to Charleston this weekend, I'll see what happens.
Surprised Ramcares hasn't chimed in.
They did on one of my other post.
#ramdontcare

GMcD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure it will get that high now its winter.
It hit 271 back in the summer.
The further you drive at a steady speed at or above 70 the higher it gets.
Going to Charleston this weekend, I'll see what happens.
Surprised Ramcares hasn't chimed in.
They did on one of my other post.
#ramdontcare

I live in Charleston, let us know how the trip goes!

OP
OP
P

Pettybilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Contact Steve White Motors, Newton NC. Talk to Luke in service. Explain the symptoms of your problem, ask for a trans fluid flush and fill, then see what happens. Don't take the truck to a local shop. That could cause Ram to say the local shop caused a problem. Keep us posted.

Called and talked to Luke today, he agrees something is definitely not right with my transmission.
He suspects the the first trans failure has damaged the cooling system.
And it probably wasn't flushed properly.
It will be next week before he can look at though.

He's a really cool guy, listens well, which is a welcome change.

OP
OP
P

Pettybilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took the truck out on the freeway trying to get it to redline the gauge
Was able to get it up to 251, then it started to rain which cooled it down a bit.

ILL BET IF THE TRANS WAS OUT OF WARRANTY, FCA WOULD SAY SOMETHING IS WRONG!
What do you think?

20181202_150015.jpg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was able to get it up to 251, then it started to rain which cooled it down a bit.

What do you think?

View attachment 148026
No CEL, no issue!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine

What do you think?

View attachment 148026
Absolutely they would say something is wrong. When your under warranty they treat you like crap. Every problem is considered normal. After your warranty expires they turn into your best friend, yes sir we can take good care for your truck, big smiles all around and dollar signs rolling around in their head.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
So fix the damned thing, quit your whinning.
Show the documented proof and try to get reimbursed.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
Here is a thought if you really do not want to dump it. Go to dealer who does not know you...Have transmission repaired. If under State minimum $$ on small claims court ceilings in your State, file the claim for repair in small claims court for what you spent to repair it plus court costs. If any head room is left on claim max for your State add loss of Truck while in shop and expenses. Watch how fast they contact you to settle it. Keep all documentation where you fought to get it repaired and was denied for your reason you fixed it upon your own call. Our state is 5000. max. All states are different.