Still stumped. Suggestions welcome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright guys, so I've kind of let this slide to the back burner and I feel like I shouldn't be. I am still getting some kind of noise coming from what I believe is the rear end of the truck. I wouldn't say it's grinding it would be more of whine but I'm not 100% sure I am still trying to get a decent video for everyone so I will work on that tonight.

As far a the symptoms, when I drop it into gear every once in awhile it will shift into gear pretty rough and you can def feel it. With a clunk almost which I have read is the u joints. Now when I'm driving down the road and have reached like 35 or 40 mph an I let of the gas and coast all I fine. But when I go to give it a little gas to stay at speed is when this grinding/whining noise appears. It also remains present at any speed above 45 or so even when I'm on the gas. I am going to try and pop off the rear diff case this weekend to see if all is well in there an the driveshaft has no play in it I just have no idea where to go from here so let me know what you guys think!

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Yep check the rear gears and also the u-joints

zack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5 packing the smarty
Engine
5.9 cummins ho
^^^yep what he said

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also I'm not too much of a newb when it comes to working on my truck but I by no means claim to know everything. How hard are both of those jobs because the parts are not terribly priced.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I hear more tire than anything else. Also check ur brakes to see if maybe the drums are binding or something.

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was worried about that when I listened to it after I piste it as well. :/ now if it was my brakes wouldnt they not function properly? Because they are working fine? Not saying I won't look into them as well Im just trying to think of everything here! Thanks for the suggestion though!!

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Its not exactly the operation. I know on some drum brakes that I have worked on the drum will *** against the housing on the axle and make a grinding scrape noise. I also had an old jeep grand cherokee that had something similar. Sounded like a grind or a rub in the rear end. Never did figure it out. Now on my girlfriends liberty the dust cover came loose and was making a grinding noise. Very slight but still there. Just some other things to check. Heck the wheel cylinder could be stuck out just far enough that the drum is barely touching. Could be anything if it is in fact coming from the rear.

But let us know what you find when you tear into it. Another thing you could do is put the rear up on blocks and put the truck in drive and let it idle to see where the noise is coming from. Done that many times. But always had someone int he cab just in case. Just some food for thought man.

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay that makes sense now hearing that. I think I will put it on blocks and start there an probably check out the gears too and I'll let you guys know how that goes.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yea doing that makes it easier to pin point. Good luck!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Finally getting to start taking a look at it tonight. Not gonna do too much because I have to be up early tomorrow morning but I have the back two wheels off the ground. Now I can turn the wheels freely and there I no noise from there would it be safe to say that I could potentially rule out the gears? Because as I turn them freely they just spin with no noises or anything

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay nevermind since I actually got to crawl under there since I had a buddy controlling the gas pedal the drivers side drum is rubbing against something horridthats for sure and I couldn't really tell with the drivers side. So needless to say that will probably be happening this weekend. Also when I put my ear up to the diff case I believe that may actually be where our noise is coming from :( probably going to pop the diff case off as well and take a look at everything in there.

With that though ididnt notice any sort of drain plug is there one of those or would I just pop the bottom half off and let it drain slowly?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Just loosen the lower bolts. Leave the top bolt on and drain away.

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Went ahead and busted open the diff today! Didn't look too bad in there actually but I did find something that may have caused the grinding sound to be as loud as it was. I also snapped a pic of the gears in there as well so y'all can take a look at them too. The noise is much quieter now I think the brakes are my next project to tackle to see if I can't get rid of it for good.
62df230d-c8e0-dccd.jpg

62df230d-c8f2-0828.jpg

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
That doesnt look good. lol glad ya found the noise. now what the hack is it?

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No not at all! Lol I don't have any idea what that piece of metal was because I even turned the flashlight on an looked at every thing I could possibly see in the diff and it didn't look like it even came from inside there. Everything actually looked better than I expected it to when I popped the cover off! Thank god for that magnet though because if it was just floating around in there and wedged inside a gear that woulda been bad news bears. I think what was happening was it was stuck to the magnet and the gear was rubbing against it which isn't the greatest thing to find but at least everything was as it should be.

I am going to tear into the brakes next weekend now Because I am willing to put some good money on it being in those drums somewhere.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yea no doubt. Looks like a collar of some sort. Wonder where it came from

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have no idea where it came from obviously from somewhere in there which obviously can't be good either but she is driving fine and the noise is much quieter so I'll be sure to snap some pics and get the brakes taken care of sometime soon and well go from there

Nikolai553

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Kinda strange for a random piece to float around in the gears lol

If that doesnt solve your whirring noise it could be your ball bearings wearing out. I had the same issue a SUV awhile ago.