Stock Thermostat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
What's the point of removing the engine fan? Just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Removing the fan removes some resistance from the front of the motor which increases power. Its only about an 8-10hp gain, but its free. Just use your tuner to adjust the AC fan temps, and you are good to go.

phantomknight321

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's the point of removing the engine fan? Just curious

The way I understand it, the fan increases load on the motor since it is directly turned by it. By switching to electric, you increase your power by decreasing the load since you are eliminating that extra work the motor has to do turning it

Its a rough explanation, sorry if its confusing. I know that this is a popular thing to do with almost any vehicle with a fan turned by the belts, my friend did it on his 240sx for the same reasons I mentioned above

*edit* looks like I got beat to it but oh well haha

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
Its only about an 8-10hp gain

Is this still true on newer vehicles. I know it was true on older cars that had a steel 7-9
blade , that weighed 8 lbs but these new vehicles the fan only weights about a pound. I know it still takes HP to pull the air but the blade weight has to have reduced the amount of HP it takes to turn it. 8-10HP seems like a lot that's almost more than they claimed in the old days.
Not being a smarts just curious.

OP
OP
nickpohlaandp

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an aviation background so I'll explain it this way. If you are spinning a propeller with pitch "x" with a 350 HP engine and the max RPM you can turn it is 2300, that is because the air that the propeller is pulling is creating enough force on the blade to prevent it from going any faster. In recent years there have been great advances with composite technology, drastically reducing the weight of propellers, but no matter the composition (wood, metal, or composite) that 350 HP engine will only be able to reach 2300 RPM with a prop with pitch "x".

It takes power to turn a propeller (or fan). In this instance the gain is not so much from reducing rotating mass as it is from reducing drag. Drag is the enemy in speed and power, and it's not just related to aerodynamics.

If you want to get real crazy with it you can go down to every last detail such as dialing in your piston rings when building an engine by measuring and tweaking the static, breakout, and dynamic forces of turning the crankshaft after assembling the bottom end.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In this instance the gain is not so much from reducing rotating mass as it is from reducing drag. Drag is the enemy in speed and power, and it's not just related to aerodynamics.

This is a good way to think of it. Besides it's a free mod haha.

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I could be wrong and I'll need more time to be sure. But I think I lost mileage with my 180 Tstat. I did install a Vararam at the same time too, and it is hemifever tuned. I feel like I lost at least 1 mpg. I'm getting mid 15s when before I was getting mid 16s. I'll need more time and to make sure I'm easy on the gas for an entire tank to be 100% sure. I've considered going back to stock.

Oil temps reach 210 at the max . And are around 190-195when I'm easy on the engine. I think oil temps may take longer to get up to temp too. Before my oil was often 220 and my a engine temps 205-210

Never Summer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was always under the impression that oil should be Atleast 212 degrees. The boiling point of water.

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is ideal. It gets any water out of the oil system and prevents sludge buildup.

If this is the case then I might go back to stock thermostat sooner than later. I honestly didn't notice any gain after I installed it. Especially since I often take shorter trips where my oil won't always get as hot as fast because of the 180T stat.

Or maybe there are some adjustments I can ask Sean to make on the tune to make everything a little hotter? Is this a possibility?

Last edited:

Granite-1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not sure so this is just a random question, does changing the thermostat have much effect on oil temp? I thought it was just the coolant temp that would change

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I have run a 170-180* thermostat on all 4 of my Hemi Ram trucks and my wife's Hemi Grand Cherokee, and I have never had an issue because of the cooler temps. There is no point in running a cooler tstat with stock tuning, but with custom tuning, a cooler tstat is always recommended.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I'm not sure so this is just a random question, does changing the thermostat have much effect on oil temp? I thought it was just the coolant temp that would change

A cooler tstat will also lower your oil temp and transmission temp a little.

OP
OP
nickpohlaandp

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

A 180 T-stat will cool the oil a bit, but you can still get your oil over 212 degrees by letting the engine long enough to heat up well, maybe run the engine a little hard. You don't need it over 212 long to get all of the water vapor out of your oil, and it's not like you've got a quart of water in your oil (If you do, you have bigger problems). Where you usually see engines with sludge buildup issues is people who drive their cars for 5 minutes at a time and never let the thing heat cycle.