Stop driving the 2003 Dodge truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is for the ones who haven't gotten the recall yet because people are dumb and/or lazy LMAO.
Yeah, there was a 17 year old girl killed by her Honda Civic airbag shrapnel, a number of years ago. The family sued Takata, Honda, Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny,,,, et. al.

Turned out that the family had ignored 4 recall notices!

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello Everyone,

Should anyone have any issues with getting their vehicle service for a recall, or have any questions, please reach out to our team in a PM. We're always here to assist. Thank you

William
Ram Cares

olddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Yeah, there was a 17 year old girl killed by her Honda Civic airbag shrapnel, a number of years ago. The family sued Takata, Honda, Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny,,,, et. al.

Turned out that the family had ignored 4 recall notices!
That's a narrow perspective. How many times was the Honda at the dealership for other maintenance and the dealer did not check for and perform the recall? Was the recall notice sent, but not received? Was the recall notice in the language of the owners? Manufacturers are very quiet about how many times they woulda coulda shoulda accomplished an airbag recall, and why parts are not prepositioned at dealerships. Simple logistics and task management not implemented. Seems like they don't really want to repair these recalled airbags.
It's not what they say, it's what they actually do.
I have read about the death in a 2003 Ram, and FCA spins how many notices sent. Mail sent does not equal mail received. How many times was this Ram at the dealer?
FCA is mute on that point.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's a narrow perspective. How many times was the Honda at the dealership for other maintenance and the dealer did not check for and perform the recall? Was the recall notice sent, but not received? Was the recall notice in the language of the owners? Manufacturers are very quiet about how many times they woulda coulda shoulda accomplished an airbag recall, and why parts are not prepositioned at dealerships. Simple logistics and task management not implemented. Seems like they don't really want to repair these recalled airbags.
It's not what they say, it's what they actually do.
I have read about the death in a 2003 Ram, and FCA spins how many notices sent. Mail sent does not equal mail received. How many times was this Ram at the dealer?
FCA is mute on that point.
Man! You're right! I guess the level of liability in such a case is subjective. Funny, though; The IRS sends ALL correspondence by USPS. And it's tough noogies if you don't receive said mail. And, after so many mailed warnings (IRS), they just garner your bank account! Life just ain't fair! ;)

olddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Man! You're right! I guess the level of liability in such a case is subjective. Funny, though; The IRS sends ALL correspondence by USPS. And it's tough noogies if you don't receive said mail. And, after so many mailed warnings (IRS), they just garner your bank account! Life just ain't fair! ;)
I was thinking of the reverse. You pay your credit card bill by check, and they notify you at a later date that your account has been turned over to a collection agency. You call them and utter those famous words "but I mailed payment to you!". Sux to be you (or any of us if it happens to us).
So FCA claims to have sent letters. In any of our lives and careers we sometimes have to do more than run a notice through the Pitney Bowes machine. Five years past due is a long time on a government mandate that FCA agreed to by signature. You and I couldn't get away with this, and wouldn't rely on the mail box to be the limit of our efforts. If we did we would have had a come to Jesus career decision meeting.
I agree, life (and the IRS) is not fair! :)

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was thinking of the reverse. You pay your credit card bill by check, and they notify you at a later date that your account has been turned over to a collection agency. You call them and utter those famous words "but I mailed payment to you!". Sux to be you (or any of us if it happens to us).
So FCA claims to have sent letters. In any of our lives and careers we sometimes have to do more than run a notice through the Pitney Bowes machine. Five years past due is a long time on a government mandate that FCA agreed to by signature. You and I couldn't get away with this, and wouldn't rely on the mail box to be the limit of our efforts. If we did we would have had a come to Jesus career decision meeting.
I agree, life (and the IRS) is not fair! :)
Well, the "they ignored 4 notices" did not work as a defense. Honda settled with the family much money. This story happened in The Houston metroplex (locally). I followed it because it's what I do. Regardless, the loss of an innocent 17 year old person on the cusp of their productive life is/was tragic.

During that time, I went over to my local Honda dealer to pick up parts for an Odyssey Van which I was repairing. They had hundreds of airbags in boxes stacked up all up and down the walls of the parts department out into the customer waiting area. The parts guy told me that they had to hire several dedicated technicians JUST to replace defective air bags!

olddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Well, the "they ignored 4 notices" did not work as a defense. Honda settled with the family much money. This story happened in The Houston metroplex (locally). I followed it because it's what I do. Regardless, the loss of an innocent 17 year old person on the cusp of their productive life is/was tragic.

During that time, I went over to my local Honda dealer to pick up parts for an Odyssey Van which I was repairing. They had hundreds of airbags in boxes stacked up all up and down the walls of the parts department out into the customer waiting area. The parts guy told me that they had to hire several dedicated technicians JUST to replace defective air bags!
I am also saddened by the loss of that young life, it truly is tragic.
At least Honda is stocking the airbags, I cannot fathom FCA's failure to do the same.

I repaired a Honda for a woman I was dating, their parts were much more expensive than aftermarket. Hope they gave you a break.

Mike Murphy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Deleted
Engine
Deleted
This is for the ones who haven't gotten the recall yet because people are dumb and/or lazy LMAO.

The title of this is misleading and definitely isn't sticky worthy. This recall was first issued in 2015 and all these ******* have had plenty of time to get the recall done. Whether or not an individual notice was received or not, there was a HUGE media campaign at the time and there is an easy way to check what recalls are outstanding or completed to your VIN.
Not dumb, lazy, or ******** as you mentioned in your post. I refuse to take my truck in by choice.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am also saddened by the loss of that young life, it truly is tragic.
At least Honda is stocking the airbags, I cannot fathom FCA's failure to do the same.

I repaired a Honda for a woman I was dating, their parts were much more expensive than aftermarket. Hope they gave you a break.
Although Honda parts can be astronomical in price, they are always functional for a very long time after the installation. To quote the woman whose 1998 Accord I still service: "I don't have time for a break down, especially in this Houston heat!".

I can still get MANY parts on this 25 year old car which have been "discontinued" by all of the big 3. Hondas are made like watches, and they require a level of diligence in their own league to repair.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not dumb, lazy, or ******** as you mentioned in your post. I refuse to take my truck in by choice.
Could arguably be two of the three lol, but regardless that choice is still on you. Just like anyone else who hasn't gotten the recall performed.

FabricGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello,

Did the dealer provide you a repair order on this recall after they performed the repair? They would need to submit the repair claim in order for the recall to be cleared.

William
Ram Cares
huh, wouldn't a dealership be required to perform that submittal in order for said dealership to be paid?

Please tell me that they only need to submit that info just the one time...

I am scheduled with my local dealership for the 6th of September. Interesting that the schedule was so far out. They better put his to bed in a single FULL DAY APPOINTMENT... Can I get a loaner vehicle for the day?

Am I not supposed to drive this? Can I get a loaner vehicle for the month?

FabricGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Local Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram CDJR is over a month out for an appointment, I hope they will use that time to source the appropriate parts so it only takes the one day they are quoting.

Hey, they expect me to put my life on the line and drive this death trap up to the dealership?
Shouldn't they send a tow truck? I am not supposed to drive it...

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
geez I had a recall on my 12 for the bracket on the shifter. I never received a letter. I happen to be on the dodge site checking recalls on my wifes 21 Grand Cherokee. Switched to mine it was an open recall. Contacted the dealership. Waited all day for him to locate the part. He finally did. He said he would call when it came in. 3 weeks passed. Nothing. So I called. It had been there for over a week... 3 days for a 4 hour job.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
A similar thing happened with my 2016 recently

I put my name on a list for a certain recalled part.
I went in for an oil change, i asked the head service writer if they were going to install the recalled part.
He told me right to my face that the part was on back order, so it was not available.
A service greeter told me that did not sound right.
She walked into the Parts Dept. & returned shortly, it seems that the Parts Dept. had a few of the parts in stock.

The head service adviser, had not even checked on the part.

Well, i turned into a impolite customer.
All of the customers waiting in line were made aware of a upset customer.

That Service Adviser signed me out when the work was done, he did sort of apologize

FabricGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A similar thing happened with my 2016 recently

I put my name on a list for a certain recalled part.
I went in for an oil change, i asked the head service writer if they were going to install the recalled part.
He told me right to my face that the part was on back order, so it was not available.
A service greeter told me that did not sound right.
She walked into the Parts Dept. & returned shortly, it seems that the Parts Dept. had a few of the parts in stock.

The head service adviser, had not even checked on the part.

Well, i turned into a impolite customer.
All of the customers waiting in line were made aware of a upset customer.

That Service Adviser signed me out when the work was done, he did sort of apologize
Give em h e l l o

In the following Priority Groups, the area of high absolute humidity (“HAH”) is defined by each
vehicle manufacturer individually, but in all instances includes vehicles originally sold or ever
registered in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Puerto Rico,
American Samoa, Guam, Saipan, and the U.S. ****** Islands.
Lol wtf bbq??? and the US Virginia islands

When working offshore, the guy's who had flights home couldn't manage their flight arrangements on Sir Richard Branson's airline because it had that dirty dirty word in the web site address. What is this world coming too... between this and all those illegal LED headlights

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
A§§
1693091773041.png

Vírgín Islands

There are ways around the † software word ban

Last edited:

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Local Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram CDJR is over a month out for an appointment, I hope they will use that time to source the appropriate parts so it only takes the one day they are quoting.

Hey, they expect me to put my life on the line and drive this death trap up to the dealership?
Shouldn't they send a tow truck? I am not supposed to drive it...

Hello,

We wanted to check in to see if you have taken your vehicle into the dealer? Should you have any questions or need any additional assistance, please send our team a PM. Thank you

William
Ram Cares

FabricGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, my local Wallace CJDR dealership completed the airbag recall in only one trip, though they couldn't seem to complete the work in an 8 hour workday, had to get the truck the next day.

Previously my BIL had it in to Tallahassee dealership for the passenger airbag three times and it still showed as outstanding...