Stupid Question #2.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tsbot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok really I can't keep track if this is really #2 :)

It's been beaten to death - but I did my own test and want your opinion. Keep in mind I have 35" tires (Toyo AT II) and a level kit.

The EVIC (which hasn't been flashed) read:

image_zpszfvwzcqg.jpg

And fuel gauge:

image_zpsi2cgenyd.jpg

I put 25.5 gallons in it. Do I have the 32 gallon tank in it? I find it hard to believe.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is hard to say for sure I have seen many members Drive their trucks until they said they are out of fuel completely but they still had four or five gallons left. There are some that seem to be a lot more accurate. The best way to tell is to go to the dealer and run your VIN number. They will be able to tell you if your truck has the 32 gallon fuel tank optiion.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I doubt there is 7 gallons and it reads that low, so it would be the 26 gallon tank, which means you almost ran outa gas.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I don't have an answer for you but there have been a lot of threads on this topic. I was think to myself last week that my 1500 work truck has a 26 gallon tank. I have let that ***** get WAY low on fuel, to a scary point, and when I fill up it has taken as much as 25.5 gallons on the pump meter. However, my 2500 with 31 gallon tank has only taken about 27 at most.

I was thinking the manufactures may use the same fuel gauge and sending unit in both the 26 and 31 gallon tanks. Now, if the depth of the tanks are just a bit different it will read exactly how much fuel is actually in the tanks on a 26 gallon differently compared to a 31 gallon tank.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Most I ever got in my 32 gallon tank was 27 or so, if I remember correctly.
Last fill up, got 25.59 gallons and evic said I had 10 miles left or so.

Seems the consensus is the In-Tank fuel pump likes to have a cushion of gas around, to prevent fuel pump failure issues.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I'd think you have the 26 gallon tank. Did someone tell you that you had the 32?

I have the 32 gallon. A couple weeks ago, I ran it down to 1/4 tank or a hair less. Filled it up, a little over 24 gallons went in. 24 gallons is 75% of 32, so mine appears to be pretty accurate for at least the first three fourths of a tank.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It will tell you on your build sheet. Here's what mine says:

NFXP 32 Gallon Fuel Tank

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have seen my mileage drop to "Low Range" and then typically from there I put in around 29-30 gallons.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You probably have the 26g tank. I have the 32g and drove it to the EVIC said I had 40km remaining and I was able to put 29.5g in the tank. With the distance you show remaining you should be able to get at least 27-28 gallons in it.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
im gonna guess you have the bigger tank. when i had my 1500 and the 26 gallon tank, i never came close to putting 26 gallons in it. i think the most i ever got in it was maybe 23 gallons when i first picked the truck up after buying it. the gas gauge didnt even budge when i turned the truck on it was so low.

my 2500 has the 31 gallon tank. same thing, first picked the truck up, gas gauge read basically fumes, only took 26 gallons to fill.

you put almost 26 gallons in your tank. your range says 38 miles to go. thats about 2 gallons of fuel or so before it reads 0. figure a 3 gallon reserve (you still have gas even when your get to zero, been there done that). 31 gallon tank.

but pull up your build sheet and that will have your answer.

OP
OP
T

Tsbot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man no clear answer really. I ran my vin at that ram link (which is pretty cool by the way), and it said '32 gallon fuel tank' - no specifics like sbarron has.

I put 25.4 gallons in to be exact.

chesafreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Crew
Engine
Man no clear answer really. I ran my vin at that ram link (which is pretty cool by the way), and it said '32 gallon fuel tank' - no specifics like sbarron has.

How do you not get any clearer than that? ha

Edit
Here is the build sheet page. The window sticker is just easier to read. https://ram.custhelp.com/app/ram/eqlisting_detail/
credit on the links goes to spp on ramforumz by the way

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

sounds pretty clear to me. your not getting 25.4 gallons into a 26 gallon tank and still have 38 miles to go until empty. its not possible. and your vin says 32 gallons...

OP
OP
T

Tsbot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sounds pretty clear to me. your not getting 25.4 gallons into a 26 gallon tank and still have 38 miles to go until empty. its not possible. and your vin says 32 gallons...

True. How off do you think EVIC is with the 35" tire? Between miles till empty and overall mpg?

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if its a regulation up north but here in the states its federally mandated that a vehicle is to have a certain % reserve in the tank when the light comes on to fill.. I think its usually around 4 gallons.

I know with my 07 cummins I never could fill 100% of the capacity of the tank until I added another vent to the tank. The slower a pumping station pumps the more fuel will get into the tank. As the fuel flows in fast the displacement of the air with the new fuel cant vent fast enough and will push back against the auto shut off on the nozzle and shut it off...

Even with that auto shut off I could actually get a few gallons over "capacity" with the 2nd vent. back then it was a common thing I read guys were doing that haul long distance to get that extra capacity and distance between fill ups.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
True. How off do you think EVIC is with the 35" tire? Between miles till empty and overall mpg?

I would say 1.5 MPG. I have noticed that my 34" have decreased my MPG by about 1 just in the size difference alone.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
im gonna guess you have the bigger tank. when i had my 1500 and the 26 gallon tank, i never came close to putting 26 gallons in it. i think the most i ever got in it was maybe 23 gallons when i first picked the truck up after buying it. the gas gauge didnt even budge when i turned the truck on it was so low.

my 2500 has the 31 gallon tank. same thing, first picked the truck up, gas gauge read basically fumes, only took 26 gallons to fill.

you put almost 26 gallons in your tank. your range says 38 miles to go. thats about 2 gallons of fuel or so before it reads 0. figure a 3 gallon reserve (you still have gas even when your get to zero, been there done that). 31 gallon tank.

but pull up your build sheet and that will have your answer.
This and only this... or look up your equipment listing on Dodge's website using your VIN.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk