(stupid) Two question about suspension...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
Yo dudes.
It was made painfully (literally) clear to me yesterday that I need to do some front end work and shock upgrades. Most of the poly in the front is cracked or gone, end links are shot, on and on blah blah blah. And the Rancho 9000XL shocks that were on the truck when I got it are, uhhh, well they dont do diddly squat.

So two (possibly stupid) questions about suspension;

1 when I actually do rebuild/replace all the little stuff, is there something I can do to make them stronger/last longer? I'd rather spend a little more and worry a little less.

2 what are my options for giving myself better (NOT more, just smoother) travel? I don't ever expect for it to be as smooth over everything as a prerunner, I wouldnt have boight a SFA truck if were that worried about it. But getting jarred around at 10mph on poorly maintained logging roads when I want to be doing 25-30mph just flat out annoys me. I get a decent deal on Fox stuff through work (bike shop but they extend a discount on all products) and I know and trust their bike suspension.

2.5 I thought I knew the difference between struts, leaf sprung, bypass and coilover, but as I read more into this stuff I am beginning to question my knowledge... are our trucks strut or coilover or wtf?? (I know they arent leaf sprung front :flipthebird: )

Any input would be wicked good... thanks!

mitchbowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 2500 5-speed, soon to be leveled on 33's
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Coil springs up front. fox shocks are definitely a good choice, that would probably make a load of difference in how it goes over everything. Just make sure to get shocks that account for your lift or you'll be back to square one lol