Sub and Amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramitwithmydodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
Alright so one thing you want to make sure of it that the radio you purchased has a standalone sub preamp output. Most radio do nowadays with the thrive of everyone and their mom wanting to add subs to their vehicle. A good voltage of a preamp output in around 3v you should be fine with for just a sub. If you were going to look into doing a 4 channel as well I would highly suggest a 5v preamp voltage. More signal voltage going into the amp in always better (cleaner sound). Now most bottom end radios with a sub/rear output are going to be right around 1 or 2 volts. Will the subs work? Yes, just won't be as clean of a sound with a higher voltage head unit. Do not get a bazooka tube they are complete junk. I can't tell you how many of those I have installed for the "cheap" customer and they have been nothing but displeased with them, despite me telling them prior to install exactly what they were going to get. Kicker makes good subs, I have always dealt with them and they have yet to disappoint. JL makes great speakers as well I have nothing against them. To be honest I would have to say they really pay attention to their amps. Their amps are rock solid much like kicker's. I don't know how much you are willing to spend because there are higher price brackets that of course offer better better sound quality amps but that isn't another post. Let me know if you want to hear about them and I can go into detail on those brands as well.

Bottom line if you are just going to be doing a sub I would look for a mono block amplifier. They are more geared towards subs as far as low pass filters and adjustments on the side whereas most 2 channel amplifiers can be used to power a pair of door speakers or flip a switch and it cuts out the higher frequencies to be able to run subs.

Sent from my cellular device

NRA4ever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 700 watt sub driven by a JL Audio 500/1. It hits hard

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
as long as we are showing up to a year old post old, i may as well throw in that IMO Rockford Fosgate is the best you can buy. i run 2 12in fosgate p2's and a fosgate amp, and door speakers. best ive ever heard...

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
as long as we are showing up to a year old post old, i may as well throw in that IMO Rockford Fosgate is the best you can buy. i run 2 12in fosgate p2's and a fosgate amp, and door speakers. best ive ever heard...

Same set up short of the subs. I run 2 rockford 10s one is an r1 and one is a p2 my amp is the rf p200-2. Not a very powerful amp but it produces the sound I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Austin On The Coast

Austin On The Coast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8 5.9
I ended up Selling them to my friend to buy a lift kit, but I ended up with a cheap box that fit under my bench( didn't want a cheap one but ya) and 2 12" shallow depth powerbass subs, the box was a downfire. 2000 w powerbass amp, hit good but sounded ****** in the box because it ended up coming apart.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am too broke to afford a pre-made box, so I made two separate ones with some 1/2 " mdf I had laying around the house, and I've been pretty satisfied with the results. Minimal leakage and a clean sound; no rattle!