Swapping in a hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

purcell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Hey guys,
I have read alot of misinformation about swapping these motors. I blew a hole in my block and have sorced a few motors, i will be picking one up this weekend.

My truck is a 2007 1500 with a 5.7.

Swap options
-2006 5.7 out of a 1500, bare motor $1200. This is my ideal motor to pick up. My question is do i need to swap over all my sensors onto this motor? And will the 06 motor work with my 07 computer and wiring???

-2005 5.7 out of a 1500, complete motor $1000. I understand this does not have mds. Which i am fine with as i plan to eventually buy a programmer to turn it off anyway. My question is, will my wiring and computer work on this motor? what about my sensors? Lastely, if i swap this in, and leave the mds wires unplugged, will it run ok? Or does it have to be disable to run right?

Please help asap, as i need to make a decision by thursday!

Thanks, guys :favorites13:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Look into your states laws before you buy either, some states don't allow you to put an older engine i to a newer vehicle while some only require you to have the emissions system of the newer configuration

OP
OP
P

purcell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
yeah i checked that. As long as it is an 0bd2 i am good. So should not be an issue. Im in ontario, canada.

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
How much performance are you looking to get from the new motor? Just the tuner or looking for alot more than that. If going for alot more I would go with the 05 engine as those are supposed to be the best and easiets to tune and get good power numbers out of.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey guys,
I have read alot of misinformation about swapping these motors. I blew a hole in my block and have sorced a few motors, i will be picking one up this weekend.

My truck is a 2007 1500 with a 5.7.

Swap options
-2006 5.7 out of a 1500, bare motor $1200. This is my ideal motor to pick up. My question is do i need to swap over all my sensors onto this motor? And will the 06 motor work with my 07 computer and wiring???

-2005 5.7 out of a 1500, complete motor $1000. I understand this does not have mds. Which i am fine with as i plan to eventually buy a programmer to turn it off anyway. My question is, will my wiring and computer work on this motor? what about my sensors? Lastely, if i swap this in, and leave the mds wires unplugged, will it run ok? Or does it have to be disable to run right?

Please help asap, as i need to make a decision by thursday!

Thanks, guys :favorites13:

06 engine will be plug and play, just use your 07 sensors.

How much performance are you looking to get from the new motor? Just the tuner or looking for alot more than that. If going for alot more I would go with the 05 engine as those are supposed to be the best and easiets to tune and get good power numbers out of.

Same performance stock for stock, just 06+ 1500 has MDS. The 05 engine itself will have the same performance, just no MDS. He will be using his stock harness/PCM etc that's still in the truck, not converting his 07 to an 05.

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
Oh true. I guess it's the 05 PCM that is the best

OP
OP
P

purcell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
yeah, looks like i found an 08 from a 1500 only 20 mins from me. So that's the motor i will be using. Thanks alot for the help.

I am not looking for performance at all really other than turning off mds. I will be trading in the truck for a CTD hopefully by spring, just need to get it running good again.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
yeah, looks like i found an 08 from a 1500 only 20 mins from me. So that's the motor i will be using. Thanks alot for the help.

I am not looking for performance at all really other than turning off mds. I will be trading in the truck for a CTD hopefully by spring, just need to get it running good again.

Good you found one, better to have one with MDS that you can turn off, this way you can reenable it when you go to trade it. You most likely wouldn't be able to trade it without being able to restore that functionality.

OP
OP
P

purcell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
how would they ever know? Just curious?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
how would they ever know? Just curious?

Seriously? If you put a non-MDS engine into an MDS truck? Umm...lessee...the check engine light for starters, then perhaps the fact that on a test drive the MDS won't kick in?