Switched ignition power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjb765

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This may be a dumb question, but I need to ask it. 2018 2500 Laramie--is there a good place to pick up switched ignition power under the left side of the dash? I know with CAN BUS tapping power wires can be tricky with resistance and amp draw. I have the aux switches, but they are in the eng compartment.

Thanks

Eng50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.6l
I used the switched 12v socket below the radio on the driver's side, that one is switched in my truck and the one on the pass side is constant..no issues so far with power draw errors etc..
2016 Tradesman 2500

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Eng50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.6l
I needed a switched source for tracking modem..

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Search for a thread for an adapter for the "power ports". Someone makes a nifty adapter that goes inline with either of the power ports and gives you a clean couple of wires out for whatever you want. Either of the power ports can be converted to switched or always on, depending on the position of the respective fuse in the TIPM. That adapter sounds perfect for what you are wanting to do.

OP
OP
mjb765

mjb765

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Search for a thread for an adapter for the "power ports". Someone makes a nifty adapter that goes inline with either of the power ports and gives you a clean couple of wires out for whatever you want. Either of the power ports can be converted to switched or always on, depending on the position of the respective fuse in the TIPM. That adapter sounds perfect for what you are wanting to do.

Just searched on that phrase and found 3 pages of posts with nothing about the adapter...….google was no help either. I found distribution blocks but I have a feeling that is not what you meant....

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I'll see if I can find it and drop a link in here for you. It's worth the search/wait because it makes pulling power from the ports so unbelievably easy.

Eng50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.6l
I'd be glad to remove my tap for this type of solution...please post if you find it..

Bill

Eng50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.6l
Ahh 30 bucks for a tap that I have .. thought it might be more innovative than that..and it's infotainment...not a significantly reputable company, they buy used radios and sell kits for really high prices. Just my .02

Eng50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.6l
Thank you k you for the effort of finding the link however..kudos to you for that, thank you!!

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Ah! There ya go... I found the link and came back to see it already posted! LOL I bought two of these, one for each outlet. That way I have a switched and unswitched lead for my add on stuff!

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Ahh 30 bucks for a tap that I have .. thought it might be more innovative than that..and it's infotainment...not a significantly reputable company, they buy used radios and sell kits for really high prices. Just my .02

And after shipping, it's almost $40. But it's there for those who don't want to cut/damage wires. I personally used a tap.

-K

Eng50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.6l
I strip and solder a lower guage wire in and heat shrink it so I know I can only pull so much current...but I like that someone has a " factory option"