Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If i EVER .......EVER........go back to using an unlocked PCM and tuner. I would raise my 700-750 idle RPMs to about 800-850.

Idle time is 100% bad for any engine. Regardless of the RPMs.....(assuming normal idle RPM ranges)

But the higher you can safely make them the more oil pressure/flow you get.

&

Ill share my tuner experience once i get my money back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never been one to warm up at the engine . I start it, buckle the seatbelt, and release the E brake and leave. I do drive easy for a bit. Very little time is spent at idle.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have never been one to warm up at the engine . I start it, buckle the seatbelt, and release the E brake and leave. I do drive easy for a bit. Very little time is spent at idle.
I agree

I have been doing this more and more. In the summer i just wait for the high idle to go down. In the winter it sits for no more than 3 min.

Both cases, i drive the first few miles like a cup of coffee is sitting on the dashboard

And I “E-Break” every time i park to.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Hemi Honey is the best, sweet and smooth. Can't make any comments about unicorn ****, you'll have to ask someone in a different profession.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Ron has a whole MESS of unicorn **** ALL OVER his work bench. Like, i mean he has a HUGE load if that unicorn **** just laying on his workbench

Huge load of it.

Yup

It’s EVERYWHERE!!

Ask him.

He showed me pictures[emoji6]

Well this quickly got out of hand. Haha

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree

I have been doing this more and more. In the summer i just wait for the high idle to go down. In the winter it sits for no more than 3 min.

Both cases, i drive the first few miles like a cup of coffee is sitting on the dashboard

And I “E-Break” every time i park to.

I do all of this exactly, what i do like is the Ram seem to not stay at high idle very long. My wifes accord, i havent timed it but jeez its forever, i hate it.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 14 ( build date of September 2013) idles at 550-600 rpm ( hot )

I've never been one to idle much either ...I crank , let high idle calm down & drive it easy for the first several miles as well . I'd say I spend less than 1.5 minutes at idle on the average .
My oil pressure at high idle is 59 psig , I typically wait untill it is 55 before I shift to drive which only takes about 90 seconds and my idle at that point is about 700 on a cold start .
My hot idle once I'm at work ( right at a 20 mile drive ) is about 550-600 rpm with oil temp at 195- 200° and 44 psig .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
5a36432ac1748427b1c1fcdd785d52a3.jpg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If pressure is what we're looking at, when my engine is cold (think winter) even with it idling for 10 minutes or so it will still run at 50-something psi.

So if we're concerned the pressure is too low at idle, I think the issue is when the engine is HOT and idling, not cold. Even during the winter, once the oil is hot, Ill get low to mid 30 psi at idle in drive. That's with 5W-20...I havent had 5W-30 in it during the winter.

I keep trying to pull the trigger on RL but the high 100 degree viscosity number scares me.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Too early to draw conclusions, but at @ 550 miles into my Redline experiment my 6.4 has never been quieter. Cold starts have been clatter-free, and my hot tick is just about gone. I have to stand by the fender and listen a bit to pick it up now. So far, so good.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You have been around long enough to know that should get better overtime. How many miles on the truck? You have only a few oci's in memory serves me, you should be gold.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If pressure is what we're looking at, when my engine is cold (think winter) even with it idling for 10 minutes or so it will still run at 50-something psi.

So if we're concerned the pressure is too low at idle, I think the issue is when the engine is HOT and idling, not cold. Even during the winter, once the oil is hot, Ill get low to mid 30 psi at idle in drive. That's with 5W-20...I havent had 5W-30 in it during the winter.

I keep trying to pull the trigger on RL but the high 100 degree viscosity number scares me.

If and I say if you felt like mixing, I would mix 5w20 and 5w30 if it all possible, as in if you weren't in snow state where temps get below -20F. The one good thing if you tried redline and it didn't stop that noise you have, likely you have done everything you can oil wize other then trying something radical like an oil thickner. 5w20 ended my hemi tick, it wasn't for three years after that I moved over to 5w30 mainly waiting for the guys in this thread to be the guinea pigs:)

I must admit I bought into FCA's ******** about the mds more then they did. Now nearly 1/2 for forum is running 30 weight according to the poll. So I was like you, more cautious about it. At this point, if I was gonna try redline for the first time, I would run 5w30 with a RP filter, this combo has given the best shot across the board. Other members have had 5w30 redline kill their tick but 5w20 redline not kill their tick, and 5w30 really kept my hemi smooth, I regret trying 10w30. Have you tried any additives? Lubeguard biotech?

across the board psi went up 1 to 2 with redline 5w30 over random 5w20, I have never remember even hearing a 3 psi jump, so pressures aren't an issue.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
As for hot and cold, when oils are cold they protect well obviously huge film strength, but when they are warm is when oils additives or base oils can have a play in lubrication. Vii's need heat to do their magic, the issue with those being in a ticking condition they will shear away with use I'm curious Chris if your issue sounds the same with a fresh oil change as it does well into your interval?

OMW2SKI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2018 Big Horn. Did my first oil change at 2,500 miles. Used Mobil 1 5W-20 and Mobil 1 filter. Engine is quiet and no tick. However, I noticed that Mobil 1 does not have the MS-6395 certification. I bought the Lifetime Maxcare plan so am worried about using Mobil 1...

Second oil change done at 6,000 miles. I used PUP 5W-20. I bought some Lucas oil stabilizer but decided against using it - again, due to Lifetime Maxcare plan. Engine is a little noisier than before. Seems to tick just a bit. Maybe it's in my head, but it seems like the oil temps are up a few points and pressure is down just a bit. Argh.

Does anyone here think running the Mobil 1 (w/o MS-6395 designation) will cause issues with my Lifetime Maxcare plan? I've been a Mobil 1 fan for years. Also, what about the Lucas?

Can anyone confirm if RP and Redline have the MS-6395 designation?

Have another change planned at 10K miles. Not sure what to use next. Probably not PUP. After 10K, will swtich to 5K OCI's.