Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Two Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM RCSB Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any thoughts on oil additives (moly additives, Slick 50 etc) and using a quality group 3 synthetic oil (Valvoline SynPower?)

Thanks

Heavy Duty Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my 2012 a year old and decided to start having the dealer change the oil. To my surprise, they said Dodge does NOT recommend using synthetic oil on these trucks. It really shocked me but I am going with it for now. They are doing Pennzoil with filter for about $16 per change. Anyone else heard that from the dealer? I had a 2004 1500 with the 5.7 hemi and used mobil 1 in it with no problems for 8 years and about 130k miles on it.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
They recommend Pennzoil/Shell oil that is who contract is through right now. They don't recommend against it by any means they just don't require it like many high performance and foreign brands do.

I love Valvoline Synpower for the fact it is available almost everywhere does really well on tests I have seen and they now have a 0w-20 in 5 qt jug.

$miley

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
A dealers job is to sell you what they have and from who they have the contract with, not to sell you what you want. Also not that any oil won't work but they have a lot less chance of fixing or selling you a new truck if you use the best products for maintaince. I also live in detroit and have many friends that work for Chrysler, Mopar, and MSX and they most certainly do not recommend to not use syn oil in the motor. The trans however is another story.

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Very true half a million mile trucks do not move units well :)

$miley

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Any thoughts on oil additives (moly additives, Slick 50 etc) and using a quality group 3 synthetic oil (Valvoline SynPower?)

Thanks

I would agree if there was a moly additive that was organic moly that was soluble with oil like what they use in engine oils. However, to my knowledge there isn't one, Mos2 is powdered moly in suspension. Also, if that additive existed, you still can't make a group 3 have the film strength of a group 5 at operating temps. If you went group 3 which is a perfectly acceptable choice for oil, I personally would go with Penzoil platinum or similar that already had soluble moly in the formulation. Most additives are worthless and many are out right dangerous for your truck, like a name brand that dilutes your additive package and does nothing but thicken your oil. IMO the best play if pick a good oil and monitor it's life cycle and don't bother switching unless a condition in the truck forces you to consider something else. Stay away from the Scamsoils out there and put an oil that you can trust.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
A dealers job is to sell you what they have and from who they have the contract with, not to sell you what you want. Also not that any oil won't work but they have a lot less chance of fixing or selling you a new truck if you use the best products for maintaince. I also live in detroit and have many friends that work for Chrysler, Mopar, and MSX and they most certainly do not recommend to not use syn oil in the motor. The trans however is another story.

so they WOULD recommend such use?!....seems to be a double negative here , which would eh, nevermind.....I'm getting a headache, friggin' oil threads!!!!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Anyone can recommend anything, it doesn't mean they can deny warranty coverage. Bottom line is it is your truck, not the dealers. If you want your engine to look as clean as it was when it was made, there are clear oil choices out there that do not have the impurities that the oils that come from the ground do, and nobody has ever denied a warranty claim from anyone using them.

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
On the other hand when unworried for a dealer there was a liberty in service with a blown motor from a clogged oil pick up and the warranty claim was denied at first until they saw the service record with dealer oil changes ever 3000. Super rare case I'm sure

bskl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
Thanx Burla!

Thank u Burla for sharing information! Learned so much about oil because of u. I've switched all fluids in my automobiles & motorcycles to redline. Wish I would have known this oil info before. Thank you!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How's it working? Notice any differences? Running it in your Hemi?

bskl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
How's it working? Notice any differences? Running it in your Hemi?

I don't have the hemi tick, knock on wood! Havn't run it yet cause I have Mobil 1 left tht I need to use up. But I got 6 cases of redline from amazon & eBay waitin. I might just mix some redline in to get more moly in (she's my friend). I didn't just get engine oil, got me some redline tranny & gear oil for my car & ram. Hemi tranny takes @17 qt plus got maghytec deep pan add extra 3-4 qt. I hope this will prevent tranny problems in future. Also got me some 10w-40 for dirtbikes & streetbike.

I just like to run the best oil (group 5) in my vehicles. I just want to thank u for sharing oil info, cause u dnt have to. I thought the best oil I could get was full synthetic Mobil1 extended performance 15,000 miles. I changed my mobil1 at 5000 miles & it always comes out black, so idk about 15,000 miles. I fell for the marketing bs & now I know it's group 3 thanx to u! I appreciate ur unbiased/non ego driven info u share with the forum.

I would like to help if I can. Think I read somewhere ur looking for a quality oil filter. I wanted to suggest to u get a magnetic oil drain plug from Goldplug.com. This site is cool cause u can get magnetic drain plug for multiple automobiles & motorcycles. In addition to my drain plug, I have these strong magnets 95 pound strength I place under oil pan near drain plug, tranny pan, rear axle. Anywhere metal on metal contact. Remember to take off magnets before fluid changes & wipe drain plug clean. I dnt like the magnets tht go over oil filters. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with K&N CAI and Diablosport Trinity Tuner
Hemi tranny takes @17 qt plus got maghytec deep pan add extra 3-4 qt.

Where did you get the deep dish pan? I am wanting to get one for my 2012 ram hemi, but not having such luck.
Also good idea with the magnets. Although I would hope there wouldn't be that many metal shavings.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Your welcome man, next time you'll be helping me out with some good info to use on my Ram as well I'm sure.

bskl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
Where did you get the deep dish pan? I am wanting to get one for my 2012 ram hemi, but not having such luck.
Also good idea with the magnets. Although I would hope there wouldn't be that many metal shavings.

I got my tranny pan from eBay for $285 free shipping & no tax to Cali.

FYI, there is always metal shavings on magnetic drain plug. The particles are so tiny, after running new oil all the tiny particles collect together. Highly suggest u get one.

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't have the hemi tick, knock on wood! Havn't run it yet cause I have Mobil 1 left tht I need to use up. But I got 6 cases of redline from amazon & eBay waitin. I might just mix some redline in to get more moly in (she's my friend). I didn't just get engine oil, got me some redline tranny & gear oil for my car & ram. Hemi tranny takes @17 qt plus got maghytec deep pan add extra 3-4 qt. I hope this will prevent tranny problems in future. Also got me some 10w-40 for dirtbikes & streetbike.

I just like to run the best oil (group 5) in my vehicles. I just want to thank u for sharing oil info, cause u dnt have to. I thought the best oil I could get was full synthetic Mobil1 extended performance 15,000 miles. I changed my mobil1 at 5000 miles & it always comes out black, so idk about 15,000 miles. I fell for the marketing bs & now I know it's group 3 thanx to u! I appreciate ur unbiased/non ego driven info u share with the forum.

I would like to help if I can. Think I read somewhere ur looking for a quality oil filter. I wanted to suggest to u get a magnetic oil drain plug from Goldplug.com. This site is cool cause u can get magnetic drain plug for multiple automobiles & motorcycles. In addition to my drain plug, I have these strong magnets 95 pound strength I place under oil pan near drain plug, tranny pan, rear axle. Anywhere metal on metal contact. Remember to take off magnets before fluid changes & wipe drain plug clean. I dnt like the magnets tht go over oil filters. Hope this helps.

I'm interested to here how the trans performs with redline. Also you will really notice the difference in the bikes. I ran M1 in my snowmobile and the Honda full syn in my atv and just switched them both to redline and the difference is unreal. In the sled I took out brand new oil less than 5 miles on it and the motor is so much smoother now I can't believe it. And I can't believe how smooth the quad shifts (honda rancher with push button shift).

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Does anyone know if there is a way to push all of the oil out of lines through the pan with a drain plug? Maybe some kind of pump or something? Will be looking into a magnet as well, thanks bskl76 :) I haven't worried about the transmission fluid yet as the truck has less then 10k on it, but that is coming soon too. I would love to have the tranny drain like they did in the old days, just like engine oil. I hate these modern tranny's when it comes to changing the oil. Maybe with a big *** pan like what bskl76 is running, it would be less important to get to the fluid in the lines? If you have a pan with 17 qrts, whatever is left in the lines would dilute much less then the stock pans. Maybe once the pan is down it is a perfect opportunity to upgrade the valve body as well.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7

I just like to run the best oil (group 5) in my vehicles. I just want to thank u for sharing oil info, cause u dnt have to. I thought the best oil I could get was full synthetic Mobil1 extended performance 15,000 miles. I changed my mobil1 at 5000 miles & it always comes out black, so idk about 15,000 miles. I fell for the marketing bs & now I know it's group 3 thanx to u! I appreciate ur unbiased/non ego driven info u share with the forum..
My oil gets changed at 5 k intervals.....but it is never black,....little darker sure, but never black........mobil 1 .:mexsmoke:

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Does anyone know if there is a way to push all of the oil out of lines through the pan with a drain plug? Maybe some kind of pump or something? Will be looking into a magnet as well, thanks bskl76 :) I haven't worried about the transmission fluid yet as the truck has less then 10k on it, but that is coming soon too. I would love to have the tranny drain like they did in the old days, just like engine oil. I hate these modern tranny's when it comes to changing the oil. Maybe with a big *** pan like what bskl76 is running, it would be less important to get to the fluid in the lines? If you have a pan with 17 qrts, whatever is left in the lines would dilute much less then the stock pans. Maybe once the pan is down it is a perfect opportunity to upgrade the valve body as well.

You can use a tranny flush machine. .......hooks to the return line to the tranny and run the motor.......thats the only way I know. (assuming we are talking about the tranny)