Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Thank you gentlemen,is there a specific weight that is better than another ?

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
PAO vs Group 3
Based on the white paper published by Machinery Lubrication, recently posted, seems like the automotive industry is concentrating on group 3 & not group 4.
Comparing viscosity index (VI), Amsoil SS which is group 4 PAO vs PP group 3 GTL & QSUD group 3 in 5w20 grade.
Higher VI is better.
Amsoil SS: 152
PP: 158
QSUD: 168
Amsoil XL: 151
Amsoil OE: 150

Note, data extracted directly from oil suppliers published data

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am new at this
never changed oil before
Saw a video of the oil change places ripping off people so i am going out and getting the stuff I need to do it myself. I am not trusting my new truck to those clowns

What brand & weight is best for a 5.7 liter Hemi engine, with CAI, low resistance exhaust and Hemifever tuned ? Also is there a specific filter that preforms better than any other ? or is a filter a filter ?

Thanks for any help,it is appreciated
Welcome to the forum Sir ! Read lots , post lots and help others when you can !

Your question sir , is a LOADED one
Good luck !

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
Always purchase own oil, filter, have RAM dealership do the OC , where there is a record of the mileage on Carfax for your warranty protection.
Do not let dealer use bulk oil, since it could be old and out dated from ware house storage time
Also provide a throw away funnel for cross contamination , instead of using dealer funnel contaminated from some other oil.
Dealer will only install 5w20 ,but do not specify any particular brand or conventional or synthetic.
Like Shell products because the oil blend date is date stamped. Always check the date stamp.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
stick with one of the bransd that are in the "poll" at the top of this page with the addition of a few other that are well respected...

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum ( or just the "Ultra")
Red Line

this thread is FULL of info to lead you in the right direction. start reading. I was in the same spot as you and I am just taking the safe route and sticking with the "PUP" recommended by the manufacturer for now. it can be had on Amazon for a very reasonable price.

If your worried about a possible future warranty issue don't use what the highest number of people here polled are using, the mobile1 because it does not meet nor does it have Chryslers required MS6395 rating, neither does Redline if you want to be positively safe use Pennzoil in any type, yellow bottle, gold syn blend, platinum or ultra full syn oils . this is the preferred ram oil and carries all the required ratings,

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
PAO vs Group 3
Based on the white paper published by Machinery Lubrication, recently posted, seems like the automotive industry is concentrating on group 3 & not group 4.
Comparing viscosity index (VI), Amsoil SS which is group 4 PAO vs PP group 3 GTL & QSUD group 3 in 5w20 grade.
Higher VI is better.
Amsoil SS: 152
PP: 158
QSUD: 168
Amsoil XL: 151
Amsoil OE: 150

Note, data extracted directly from oil suppliers published data

But even with a slightly lower VI isn't the group 4 better than a group 3 with a little higher VI?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
stick with one of the bransd that are in the "poll" at the top of this page with the addition of a few other that are well respected...

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum ( or just the "Ultra")
Red Line

this thread is FULL of info to lead you in the right direction. start reading. I was in the same spot as you and I am just taking the safe route and sticking with the "PUP" recommended by the manufacturer for now. it can be had on Amazon for a very reasonable price.

If your worried about a possible future warranty issue don't use what the highest number of people here polled are using, the mobile1 because it does not meet nor does it have Chryslers required MS6395 rating, neither does Redline if you want to be positively safe use Pennzoil in any type, yellow bottle, gold syn blend, platinum or ultra full syn oils . this is the preferred ram oil and carries all the required ratings,

bird is the word

twodips

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Pennsoil Syn 10/30 for desert heat works well.

Reactions: SyN

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Pennsoil Syn 10/30 for desert heat works well.

It might work great and you may never have a issue but its not a viscosity that is listed as can be used, so if you had a oil related failure you could find yourself footing the bill. Manual is clear, 5.7 hemi 5-20 also says 5-30 can be used, no others are listed.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just don't know how Dodge could deny a warranty if they don't test the oil and prove that it caused a failure. I keep service logs for myself. Why would those not be acceptable? I think any decent lawyer snd a call to that states AG would remedy that problem.

twodips

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
HEMI 5.7
It might work great and you may never have a issue but its not a viscosity that is listed as can be used, so if you had a oil related failure you could find yourself footing the bill. Manual is clear, 5.7 hemi 5-20 also says 5-30 can be used, no others are listed.

My bad typing, it is 5/30 I'm using. Apologies!:confused:

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
Rodram
Based on the "Machinery Lubrication" paper
Group 3 is knocking on the door of group 4 base.
How many group 4 blenders can you count in the USA.
Seems like the entire industry is going group 3 & group 4 is being phased out.
Pour point temperature is also a good measure of base superiority in addition to VI.

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
Nutshell
Petroleum quality institute of America is always testing oil for the consumer.
PQIA updates their website showing which motor oils are no good and could damage your engine.
The timing chain fracture on the earlier 2011-2013, 5.7 challenger was a mechanical failure ,not related to oil grade or quality.
There was a case not to long ago on this forum where a 5.7 failed from sludge build up from not operating the vehicle long enough to boil out the moisture from over night dew traped in the oil reservoir on a regular basis. This driving condition would be considered severe service were the oil should be changed on 3k intervals.

Last edited:

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Guys on BITOG were talking about Amsoil. Thought this was a great post about botique oils.

See below. Thought this was a good point on the subject. Feel free to comment.

The strategic problem that the specialty blenders have is that the "specialty blends" no longer offer better performance than the commercial products they're supposed to be better than.

In engine oils, the specialty products are as good as the latest spec consumer products on the parameters that matter, surpassing the consumer blends only on parameters that don't make much difference in an engine. Gear oils are the same. Modern OEM gear oils today have better base stocks and additive packages than the specialty blends that were designed to compete with the old technology OEM products from two decades ago.

The specialty products that were vastly better than the 1990's OEM oils are no match for the 2016 factory products. The specialty blending community isn't fighting for market share any more - it's fighting to remain relevant.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Guys on BITOG were talking about Amsoil. Thought this was a great post about botique oils.

See below. Thought this was a good point on the subject. Feel free to comment.

The strategic problem that the specialty blenders have is that the "specialty blends" no longer offer better performance than the commercial products they're supposed to be better than.

In engine oils, the specialty products are as good as the latest spec consumer products on the parameters that matter, surpassing the consumer blends only on parameters that don't make much difference in an engine. Gear oils are the same. Modern OEM gear oils today have better base stocks and additive packages than the specialty blends that were designed to compete with the old technology OEM products from two decades ago.

The specialty products that were vastly better than the 1990's OEM oils are no match for the 2016 factory products. The specialty blending community isn't fighting for market share any more - it's fighting to remain relevant.

I have to say that is a very good post and pretty spot on with the current oil market and the boutique brands like Amsoil, Redline and Royal Purple.

They are more selling a perception and feeling rather than an appreciable result of superior permance. Exceeding the limits of a specification does not always equate to "better". Nor is there a sliding 1:1 scale of better quality in relation to the premium price command by many of these boutique oils.

Staying relevant is good observation that I am certain the fan boys of a particular brand will have problems with to justify the higher cost they pay.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have to say that is a very good post and pretty spot on with the current oil market and the boutique brands like Amsoil, Redline and Royal Purple.

They are more selling a perception and feeling rather than an appreciable result of superior permance. Exceeding the limits of a specification does not always equate to "better". Nor is there a sliding 1:1 scale of better quality in relation to the premium price command by many of these boutique oils.

Staying relevant is good observation that I am certain the fan boys of a particular brand will have problems with to justify the higher cost they pay.

There was a point when these oils were the extended OCI oils. Now you see off the shelf extended drain oils as well. No doubt, Amsoil, Redline and RP are great products. In today's market, the shelf at Walmart offers a pretty damn good selection at a price point you can't beat.

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
RL 5w30 is available at most WM outlets.
There should be a regulation to have all engine oil suppliers to furnish the twenty four ASTM test procedure results required to obtain the API certification and donut symbol, especially the all important sequence IV, 100 hour wear test procedure on an a actual test engine requiring a tear down.
The four ball test results published by Amway oil gives some measure of wear, but this test procedure is actually designed more for gear oil rather than engine oil.
Tire manufactures are required to imbossed the thread wear rating, wet traction rating & temperature rating on the tire. Europe also requires a rolling resistance rating imbossed on the tire, USA is working on this requirement.
However, use Amsoil products in power sports vehicles, vintage vehicles, lawn mower & generators because the SJ rating is available in synthetic.
Use Shell SN rated products in 5.7 RAM.

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
RL 5w30 is available at most WM outlets.
There should be a regulation to have all engine oil suppliers to furnish the twenty four ASTM test procedure results required to obtain the API certification and donut symbol, especially the all important sequence IV, 100 hour wear test procedure on an a actual test engine requiring a tear down.
The four ball test results published by Amway oil gives some measure of wear, but this test procedure is actually designed more for gear oil rather than engine oil.
Tire manufactures are required to imbossed the thread wear rating, wet traction rating & temperature rating on the tire. Europe also requires a rolling resistance rating imbossed on the tire, USA is working on this requirement.
However, use Amsoil products in power sports vehicles, vintage vehicles, lawn mower & generators because the SJ rating is available in synthetic.
Use Shell SN rated products in 5.7 RAM.

I agree. it would clarify a lot of things.