Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr. Crowley

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 2500 4x4 Crew Cab
Engine
5.7Hemi
I picked other.

I've used Mobil 1 synthetic for years, but I'm planning on trying out Redline on the Ram next time.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Amen! ^^^

Just got this in for my second Redline oil change. :naughty:

Attachments

• IMG_20141224_162341.jpg
    IMG_20141224_162341.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 79

Egress

Reaction score
Ram Year
03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT
Engine
Stock 235hp 4.7L/287 V-8
Quick question. Since I started driving some 20 years ago, I've always been told that once you make the transition into synth that you shouldn’t ever go back to conventional.

Is there any truth to this? I’m not really smart enough to care for all the science/math behind it but I'd like to finally know the real answer since I know oil has come a long way.

Thanks in advance

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You can go back and forth as much as you want, but why do it? Synthetic is better for your truck/car.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You can go back and forth as much as you want, but why do it? Synthetic is better for your truck/car.

I think the argument is most people dont take full advantage of the capabiltes of syn oil and that they would be just as well protected as with conventional.

While this may be true i personally feel that i want to have all the advantages on my side.
We all have trucks because we like them and want them. Makes sense to take great care of them.

On the other hand that all just emotional feeling crap. I could run pennzoil yellow bottle all day long and my truck probably would not see the difference.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
PYB leads all conventional oils in the IVA wear test that measures engine oil's ability to inhibit wear, they claim this and there is a lot of online literature on it. Valvoline (no moly) has higher wear the CE that has Moly and Mobil one failed this test, lol- read here The teal one is Mobil 1 but they removed the name, maybe afraid to be sued. I have no idea why this happened, M1 is good oil and the UOA's out there have been generally good. So when I say synthetics are almost always better, I am talking about Ester based formulations, not the mish mash of group 3's or 2's. I am very curious why Penzoil pumped up the moly level in their yellow bottle and didn't in their top tier oils. However, clearly high moly yellow bottle is the best conventional oil around, even has better wear tests then M1. I am curious if it is really group 2 oil, they say it is but I'm not 100% on this. Penzoil is just really good oil, it clearly is setting the standard out there while everyone else is getting worse or being complacent.

artwor55.gif

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just put castrol edge 0w20 in mine with a fram ultra small filter. I did notice 7 qts didnt fill it to the f mark just like inthe other thread.

Big Blue Hemi

Keep on keeping on
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
So, am I to understand that PYB is superior to Pennzoil Ultra?

My current choice is Pennzoil Ultra Oil w/RP or Wix filter (depending on availability).

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Burla would be better able to answer that but what I can tell you is pyb has a lot more moly in it than platinum or ultra and my hemi is loving pyb. It ticked like crazy on platinum...

CapeRR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine likes the PYB too. Been running nice and smooth since I switched from Castrol Edge Syntec. I didn't have a 1000kms on the Castrol and had to dump it. Way too mechanically noisy for my peace of mind.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

My current choice is Pennzoil Ultra Oil w/RP or Wix filter (depending on availability).

No, Ultra is gas to liquid, much cleaner then conventional or IMO even other group 3 oils. I'm not 100 on this but I believe they take gas and then make oil, and then hydrocrack it. Ultra is as good as it gets, but it has been a while since this stuff came out and I don't keep up on it. The one thing yellow bottle has is high moly, but who knows that may be coming to Ultra some day as well. I would stick with Ultra, if I ever go away from what I use I would be using Ultra, as I've said a million times. The other stat on Ultra is hyper cleaning that is more fact then hype according to the many posts on it.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck came with PYB in it, and its what I keep using. Truck is running quiet and smooth at 16K miles, so I haven't had any reason to look any further.

PYB has a strong Moly content, and great cleansing also. I don't live in that extreme of an environment, or let my oil stay in the truck more than 5K miles, so I don't feel I would get all the benefits I would be paying for with synthetics.

Not sure if it's true, but someone that works in the oil manufacturing business told me recently that Penzoil drastically increased the Moly additive in PYB specifically to satisfy the Chrysler specs and win contract for factory fill from Mobil.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure if it's true, but someone that works in the oil manufacturing business told me recently that Penzoil drastically increased the Moly additive in PYB specifically to satisfy the Chrysler specs and win contract for factory fill from Mobil.

This would make sense. After doing a bunch of research on motor oil about a month ago, I found PYB has one of the highest moly counts. Only exceptions I found were Redline and the other top tier oils. Most are around 50-80ppm and a few got up to the 150ppm range while PYB has 270ppm. Even Pennzoil's own Platinum and Ultra don't have that much moly. Its literally the only oil with that much moly that is readily available which is odd.

What other reason would Pennzoil have to put that much moly in what is essentially their cheapest oil, but not in their synthetics?

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it is true, it's interesting that Chrysler knows their engines need it to calm the valve train.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Maybe them sumbchs been reading my posts. :word:

Someone else is getting paid for my good idea, I hate it when that happens. Try running esters in your oil too Chrysler, then your stuff will really last.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
eh, It will take complete engine failure to get me off the m1 bandwagon.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Shell has done great things with Pennzoil. They were the one of the worst when Shell bought them now they seem to be making some of the best oil. No coincidence since so many swear by Rotella.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You know that M1 doesn't meet the current Chrysler spec, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pld

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You know that M1 doesn't meet the current Chrysler spec, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What doesn't Mobil1 contain for Chrysler specs;this was the factory fill for all the Dodge Viper's.