Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The guys at Bob's said look closer at PAO to see if it is a factor at killing hemi tick. It turns out the PAO may have things esters or moly doesn't have, branch chains. Whether those branches remain in tact after going through combustion is anybody's guess. We know the branch chains in Vii's do not survive combustion, but if PAO's do then that "could" explain why Redline is so good at combating hemi tick. Esters with their polarity, moly with it's plate, high zinc with it's renewable film, and PAO with it's branched chains. Look at the product line summary line how you can order PAO is many visc at 100, link pdf.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I understand your point. Its just seems strange that somebody wouldn’t want to share that they use it. They dont even need to say the percentage. Just saying “Mobil 1 Annual Protection with PAO” is a big deal and puts a lot of pressure other brands/ competitors.

If they use it and dont want to tell anyone its because they could THEN remove it from the base stock formula and not have to tell anyone...

Thats the only reasone i wont believe it until its factual.

No argument here. JMO. And i still think AP & EP are excellent off the shelf oils.
Oh I totally agree. For me and probably everyone on here, listing they use PAOs is a major selling point. The only reason I could see them not advertising they use PAOs is because the average person doesn't have a clue what that means or how good it is. All they see is Annual Protection/Extended Performance, how much it costs, and grab an oil based on that. They probably never even read the fine print about following your owner's manual recommended oci while under warranty.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm just wandering if it's that they don't want to start an advertising war. Used to be Amsoil advertised PAO and then they stopped, then all of a sudden Redline isn't ester based, it's PAO/ ester. As soon as someone comes out and starts advertising PAO then someone will say we've got more so we're better. It's just like the titanium deal, never heard about it at all, then Castrol started advertising it, then Kendall is basically advertising wrap you're ass in titanium. Meanwhile PUP never says anything about titanium but there's always just a smidge in the UOA's. By percentage of vehicles on the road I'd say most people choose their oil by that's what I've always used to don't have a clue it's just what they put in when I got my oil changed. I'd say that people like us that actually might care what's in the oil are few and far between. Just take a look at the participants in this thread, what, maybe a couple of hands full, even if you count the people that voted on the pole you still don't have a big percentage. I think most people don't worry about their oil untill it has caused a problem, then it's the oils problem, not theirs because they didn't research what they were using.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Redline still advertises themselves as ester based only, I guess they don't really consider the PAO that much of a performance "additive" when comparing it to the esters. For them the PAO is something they mix with the true performance additive esters in order to achieve balance. Amsoil stopped advertising group 4 because they aren't group 4. Do they maybe have pao is some cases, maybe. If maybe is good enough for you and you like that business model, then there is a company for you. In most cars it is perfectly acceptable, but you can't gimmick the ticks, the ticks will search out gimmicks and/or ground oils. If not for hemi tick, the oil world would know nothing of the true difference in the performance of base oils. In fact, the "oil world" still doesn't accept this, but we all know better. Time and time again you have a hemi ticking on a shelf oil and then comes along the ester based heavy additive redline and the tick is gone. too many times to count.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Redline has ALWAYS been PAO/ester blend but focuses on ester because it suits their “high proformance” and racing background better.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fresh oil change with 4qts 10w30 and 3qts 5w30 sure has the truck whiper quiet. :Big Laugh:

Next time I change it the dam filter is getting relocated.
I've never had an issue with the filter , and I've never spilled a drop .
This is what I do .
1rst I drive up on ramps , I approch it from the front , lay a few shop rags under it , break the tq with my hands then put a qt container from Lowe's paint shop under it and spin it loose ...when oil starts to come out I stop spinning it off and let the oil drain , when it's done I spin it off and it falls into the container .

Hope this helps ! [emoji16][emoji106]

Not sure why my photos STARTED posting sideways ?
3b371084423e7ce218d269475fc5f30a.jpg
60732a0ab8ced49db36ff59fa747a3d1.jpg
6df366f54dd2c2105c67065023159005.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I cant fit that container under my filter and above the electric power steering, I can hardly get a small funnel under it.
If you can more power to you. lol I guess I dont have that skill set.

I will relocate it to in front on the cross member so it will be easy to get to.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I cant fit that container under my filter and above the electric power steering, I can hardly get a small funnel under it.
If you can more power to you. lol I guess I dont have that skill set.

I will relocate it to in front on the cross member so it will be easy to get to.
I working on trimming a funnel, if and when I get it perfected I'll post a picture. Right now it's just a work in progress.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you noticed that just about all the advertising has stopped that compares brand a to brand b to brand X. Now their just comparing themselves to industry standards. Even Amsoil's comparison test is 6 years old so basically useless.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My last coolant post on here I promise, just figured you guys would like to see this. The 1st sample is my truck with fresh Mopar OAT coolant and the 2nd sample is from my wife's Jeep GC with 16000 miles on it. Like @R.L.K. showed, it definitely changes color to pink/orange with use23c539512de36d3529dc64670efdc6e2.jpg4e5cb57cd42321a711ef51c87858b93c.jpg

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Hampster: to your knowledge is that the factory fill coolant?

From what I’m seeing: from 2007.5 through 2012 the factory fill was H0AT.
I’m not for sure what it was before that.

My one time guess would be HOAT!

The 2002 manual lists HOAT coolant only within the 4.7L - 5.9L.
If I remember correctly the Hemi was not in production (Ram Truck) until 2003?

2006 is showing the Mopar 5 year/100K mile coolant (HOAT)

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Here's what my coolant looks like. Any input?
ad45379f1f51358a61bed6c7b418631f.jpg
1692958a301cadf310918ec130049193.jpg

Sent from my magic 5-inch

Next time you get the chance replace the zip tie with the proper hose clamp.

JMO

Not REALLY a big deal but a zip tie is not right.

Is your coolant a little “muddy”. Does it Look like there is a brown scale/film on the inside?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Which means there has to be some yellow somewhere in that strong purple base. If you have any left over, take one ounce of the deep purple color and add enough water to dilute it down, I bet you it isn't what you consider to be purple. Watch I'm wrong again, but I would like to see that. Glad you guys found the answer for Corey, I certainly wasn't any help. I think they just added a ton of blue to an orange base to come up with that purple. Great for identifying when new, crappy for when in use. They need a better blue that doesn't go away with heat, the orange and green and pink survives use, but for some reason the blue doesn't.

Let the Broward County Sheriffs look at the sample next time, they certainly know the color yellow better then me. Broward Cowards.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe it builds up aluminum oxide which is white from all the aluminum parts in the engine. Could be why it turns pinkish...

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Next time you get the chance replace the zip tie with the proper hose clamp.

JMO

Not REALLY a big deal but a zip tie is not right.

Is your coolant a little “muddy”. Does it Look like there is a brown scale/film on the inside?

I don’t think the factory setup has a clamp of any kind there so the zip tie is additional haha

Reactions: U&A

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I know most of you already know all about this but some might not.
This is why You want to take care of and hold on to Your engines w/Port Fuel Injection!

You dont want the nightmare that could be with the DI engines.
Unfortunately this design is the future.

https://www.bgprod.com/blog/what-is...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Take care of your Hemis!!!!!

I have been using BG44 for about two years now along with Schaeffers Neutra.
I will continue using both in the wife’s new edge with the 2.0L EB.

Last edited:

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My local Wally world is resetting there oil shelves. They took all the Mobil1 and put it on the other side of the aisle, like making room for more oil on the other side. Could it be PUP??????? We can only hope.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Hampster: to your knowledge is that the factory fill coolant?

From what I’m seeing: from 2007.5 through 2012 the factory fill was H0AT.
I’m not for sure what it was before that.

My one time guess would be HOAT!

The 2002 manual lists HOAT coolant only within the 4.7L - 5.9L.
If I remember correctly the Hemi was not in production (Ram Truck) until 2003?

2006 is showing the Mopar 5 year/100K mile coolant (HOAT)
Idk, my dad put some green stuff in it, but the rad also went bad and had to be replaced. Probsibly factory fill.

Sent from my magic 5-inch

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517