Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Anything you don't like about this pan? The only minor thing I see is I would like it better if it used an o-ring seal.

You can use teflon tape or liquid thread seal.

I plan on getting one when I change the trans fluid. Maybe someone will make a cheaper one by then. All I want is a drain plug.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
You can use teflon tape or liquid thread seal.

I plan on getting one when I change the trans fluid. Maybe someone will make a cheaper one by then. All I want is a drain plug.
Yeah, I mean a large, formed o-ring that goes around the perimeter of the pan, like many of the aftermarket differential covers use. There is no seal or gasket on the tranny pan from the factory. It just uses Mopar RTV sealant.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Three new 5w-20 test results for Havoline, Lucas, and Motul oils at PQIA.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Damn, I had higher hopes for Motul.....
Me too, but it's not one of their mainstream oils. Not sure what "Specific" entails. If I had to guess, I'd say it meets some sort of stringent Euro spec.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Anything you don't like about this pan? The only minor thing I see is I would like it better if it used an o-ring seal.

I don’t really like relying on just an O ring for something like this wether it’s your differential or transmission. If I had O-rings on it I would still use RTV.

There’s not a single thing I don’t like about it. I was worried how far down it would hang but it does not hang down low enough to worry about much hitting it. I have heard many logs clunking around under my truck and I’ve never had issues yet and this pan is very thick aluminum so there would be no issues with any logs you find. You could park your truck on it it’s so durable.

Last edited:

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I don’t really like relying on just an O ring for something like this weather it’s your differential or transmission. If I had a rings on it I would still use RTV.

There’s not a single thing I don’t like about it. I was worried how far down it would hang but it does not hang down low enough to worry about much hitting it. I have heard many logs clunking around under my truck and I’ve never had issues yet and this pan is very thick aluminum so there would be no issues with any logs you find. You could park your truck on it it’s so durable.
I'm an old aircraft hydraulics guy. O-rings alone are still used in static and dynamic systems/components ranging from 3000 to 4500 psi. When installed properly, there really isn't a better way to seal most any surface, and there is no sealant to scrape off when you change them. It wouldn't deter me from buying that pan, but o-rings are my preferred choice for sealing. Thanks for the info.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The water pump on the 6.7 Cummins had the 0 ring gasket, sure was nice when I had to change it out.

You already changed the water pump?!?!?

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40
2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 5W-30

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
You already changed the water pump?!?!?

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40
2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 5W-30

That was in my 07, think it had around 115k on it when it went out, shortly after at 120k the turbo went out and I sold it at 150k with the trans not doing well.
It was not the best truck I ever had, the steering gear box was shot as was the rest of the front end .
I was going to haft to sink a crap ton of money in it pretty soon so I traded it off for my current truck.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
From Amsoil:

May 1 is the first licensable date for API SN PLUS. The soon-to-take-effect specification was requested by the automobile industry to protect passenger vehicles from low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI). We anticipated this change, and the current Signature Series, XL and OE synthetic motor oil formulations all meet or exceed the specification. Look for updated product labels featuring the new API “donut” in the near future.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
JMO

Want to know what i think of the API donut....
:manos:
Just sayin... no fight here

BUT,

Amsoil is leading the way with the LSPI oils.

I think sooner or later Redline will release their formulation for LSPI in their “professional series” motor oil. But redline has different opinions on LSPI from what i understand the last time i talked to dave.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
From Amsoil:

May 1 is the first licensable date for API SN PLUS. The soon-to-take-effect specification was requested by the automobile industry to protect passenger vehicles from low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI). We anticipated this change, and the current Signature Series, XL and OE synthetic motor oil formulations all meet or exceed the specification. Look for updated product labels featuring the new API “donut” in the near future.
What does this mean for the hemi and Pentastar engine ?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ive been using red line 5w-30 for a while now. Not sure if it does anything different than other oils but I hear good things about it so I use it.
You are running the #1 oil Brand and weight for you 5.7L Hemi imo Sir !

The 5.7L Hemi is known to have lifter / cam issues on non high Molybdenum type oils ... The 5.7L also seems to like a bit higher ppms of phophorus and Zinc. All of which Redline 5W-30 has . Plus Redline is Easter base !

This oil and weight should serve you well!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
RLK: One thing for sure PUP has exceptional lower numbers compared to other oils.

That is one great looking UOA.
Even though it was only 2000 miles.

TBN was 5.6 this combo could easily withstand a 6K-8K mike OCI.
I agree 100% , I'd be running PUP without a doubt if it didn't create my one and only tick ....very faint , but I never had a tick on Redline , so I just went back to Redline oil and my tick went away in just a tank or two .
My last wear #s on Redline with about 7k on the oil was better than my 2k on PUP imo.
I'm not knocking the PENNZOIL ULTRA Platinum at all , as I believe it is a fantastic oil !![emoji1303][emoji1303]

Reactions: SyN

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone had a temp decrease using an increased capacity pan?

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk
I have the Mag-Hyteck 45RFE Pan on my 65RFE. xsmn ( stock exhaust ) adds about 1.75 qts .
My temp drop is only about 10°f .

Not much of a temp drop , but the drain plug does make it very easy to drain & refill .

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, I mean a large, formed o-ring that goes around the perimeter of the pan, like many of the aftermarket differential covers use. There is no seal or gasket on the tranny pan from the factory. It just uses Mopar RTV sealant.
Yep , I used the Mopar RTV ( GREAT STUFF IMO ) when I installed the Mag-Hyteck pan on my 1500s. 6 speed xsmn . I also used the cork gasket supplied by Mag-Hyteck.

No leaks using this method .
The Mopar RTV is similar to using Blue Hylomar imo ...

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
What does this mean for the hemi and Pentastar engine ?
Not much, for now. Basically, LSPI primarily affects GDI engines. Eventually, they say most, if not all engines will be Direct Injected. The technology does present a few issues, but they think the juice will be worth the squeeze once they get a few things ironed out. Oils don't cause the condition, but can have a big affect on controlling frequency and severity.

In simple terms, they raise the oil's flashpoint so that it will not ignite at combustion chamber temps without there being an actual spark present. Right now, microscopic oil droplets (non SN+) combine with residual fuel droplets after combustion and they can explode when the piston is on it's downstroke, causing very high pressures and possibly cracking a piston, harming valves, etc.