Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 995 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently just moved to Colorado and I haven't seen any 89 octane like back in Michigan. Question is, I know 87 is acceptable, but should I consider 91 if 89 isn't available?
If you’re at a higher altitude then 87 is considered closer to mid grade than regular. You should be fine with a top tier 87.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep, and I also found the 5/30 today. Advance auto price on 5 qt jug is $39.99 and I believe $10.99 per qt. I tried ordering it online to see if I could get the 20% discount and it said this item not eligable for discount. Oh, oh, I almost forgot, it has a picture of a 2019 Ram on the label.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

LOL its got a pic of a Ram without the "RAM" on the grill

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Yep, and I also found the 5/30 today. Advance auto price on 5 qt jug is $39.99 and I believe $10.99 per qt. I tried ordering it online to see if I could get the 20% discount and it said this item not eligable for discount. Oh, oh, I almost forgot, it has a picture of a 2019 Ram on the label.

Is that the T6?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Conventional versus Synthetic, high calcium oils versus low calcium oils, high additive oils versus low additive oils, high viscosity oils versus low viscosity oils, are some of the many things that would effect an oil change interval? How would the EVIC know what oil you used? And that is what we trust to set an OCI? I hope not.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Conventional versus Synthetic, high calcium oils versus low calcium oils, high additive oils versus low additive oils, high viscosity oils versus low viscosity oils, are some of the many things that would effect an oil change interval? How would the EVIC know what oil you used? And that is what we trust to set an OCI? I hope not.

And this is exactly why I pretty much ignore it.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is what I use it for as well , just a mileage since last oci , as the OLM has zero knowledge of the type and quality of oil being used .

I bet if you reset the OLM back to Zero at 50% oil life and did not change the oil it would still give you 10,000 more miles to go on the same oil [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
ASTM's petroleum standards

ASTM's petroleum standards are instrumental in the evaluation and assessment of the physical, mechanical, rheological, thermal, and chemical properties of crude oils, lubricating grease, automobile and aviation gasoline, hydrocarbons, and other naturally occurring energy resources used for various industrial applications. These fuels are tested for their composition, purity, density, miscibility and compatibility with other fluids and materials, toxicity, and thermal stability among others. These petroleum standards allow petroleum refineries, automotive and aviation companies, and other geological and chemical processing plants to appropriately examine and process these fuel oils ensure their quality towards safe and efficient use.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well well well, apparently FCA has decided that if you turn off mds you are no longer capable of eco mode. Apparently due to one of the never ending recalls/flashes/updates my eco light now doesn't come on if I turn off my mds, allow mds to work and eco light works. Turning off mds now has an additional benefit, gets rid of the annoying light.

GottaBeKD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And this is exactly why I pretty much ignore it.
My wife's benz I would tell it what oil spec I put in. No such thing in the RAM...

Not like I actually listen to either. 6k mile oil changes are standard on my vehicles

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

GottaBeKD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well well well, apparently FCA has decided that if you turn off mds you are no longer capable of eco mode. Apparently due to one of the never ending recalls/flashes/updates my eco light now doesn't come on if I turn off my mds, allow mds to work and eco light works. Turning off mds now has an additional benefit, gets rid of the annoying light.

Mine's been like that since the day I got it... i just assumed they were all that way

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This is what I use it for as well , just a mileage since last oci , as the OLM has zero knowledge of the type and quality of oil being used .

I bet if you reset the OLM back to Zero at 50% oil life and did not change the oil it would still give you 10,000 more miles to go on the same oil [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

100% likely. The OLM calibration on the SRT vehicles is way better as far as being close to what I would gauge as accurate. If I take it easy it's just a count down to 6k or so, but hard driving similar to what you might see at a track day and it starts dropping that percentage like a rock. Too bad they didn't feel the need to do the same with the trucks when they spec a way worse oil for the OCI duration. Engine load is engine load wither towing/hauling or tearing up asphalt. PUP 0W40 going 6k miles is rather believable... PYB 5W20 going 10K in a truck is a joke.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine's been like that since the day I got it... i just assumed they were all that way

My eco light used to come on anytime I was just maintaining speed or on the back side of the throttle.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The difference between API cert process and ATSM process.

For the atsm it is a one time charge under a grand for the entire company and for API it is 4500 per cert.

There is a reason why they don't simply don't heat an oil to 230f and toss it on a modified one arm bandit one time and brag about how they are the only resource needed in testing engine oils, ***** x2. In the past, imo it didn't really even matter much with the dumb inefficient engine of yesterday. But with the complex and complicated modern engines, it is necessary to put real work in research if you want that engine to last long. The triangle is a simplistic approach, you can research all of the atcm's for an even better standard of testing oils. The triangle is just testing the base oil, where as the atsm's test many other things too many to list. There is a reason why literally every oil uses the atsm's but many specs even by conglomerates like m1 aren't being carried. I would suggest it isn't so much the API fee, but some of the process's being demanded by the auto manufacturers. IMO auto manufacturers are going well past certifying oil organizations standards because they are being asked by our gov't to squeeze every ounce of fuel economy out of their vehicles, so there requirements are more stringent then an atsm.

An example would be our spec, FCA required the oil to be field tested for two years. So companies that already know their quality would handle the test w/o issue, they don't want to spend the money for something they already know. So they say, recommended for the spec as opposed to paying for the field trial and the api fee. I secretly think those oil manufacturers would love for a auto manufacturer to blame their oil for a failure, lol. Sue their ass off!

All of this auto manufacturer extremism is because they are forced into using 20 weight oil and soon to be 16 weight oils, so you can't blame them. But to blame engine oil producers for not wanting to put up with massive headaches of an ever evolving process to get their simple oils certified is being pretty simple minded imo.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
TraverseUOA_40K.jpg

Just thought I'd look to see if valvoline conventional also has no moly, this was one of a couple I ran, all similar. Interesting though the sparecest oil he ran had the best results. However, if you look at the hours or miles on unit you understand why. It was kinda weird his last wear metals where trending high again. I guess it could be many reasons.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Group 2 plus PAO or Group 3?

Shaeffers Supreme 7000 5w30

Shaeffers 9000 5w30.

They advertise PAO as what they use in their blend, but not in the "full synthetic" formula, which I can only guess is group 3. Seams like they are the same price within a dollar or so, in fact qrt of 9000 is less then 9 bucks amazon, different weight. So what would you choose, a blend that has pao, or an oil that is 100% group 3?