Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You know what the best test machines on the planet are? Ticking hemi's, those results don't lie. Ticking hemi's know more then any Pr piece or any "oil guy" at BITOG, let your ticking hemi chose it's oil, and if someone says use the oil that leaves it ticking over the one that keeps it quiet because in their opinion it is much better, just boot dat az.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

If your considering one of these oils, Castrol Magnetic(5w/30 ?)might be a good choice for your HEMI due to it being "thicker" and might be able protect your engine much better in higher climate temperatures like you have in your region of the world, idk.

As @Burla and others noted in thier comment(s), any oil that can help to reduce your HEMI tick is the ticket. Imo, no one here in the RAMforum is going to know and be able to exactly to tell you to use a certain specific brand of oil weight/viscosity to resolve your issue ... that is on you and what is readily available in your area.

One thing that is for sure and certain, every HEMI doesn't react the same to any one type of oil and filter due to how they are used and the climates they operate in, if they did we would all know exactly what oil and filter to use and this thread would diminish, lol.

Maybe having an shorter oil change interval with whatever oil and filter keeps your HEMI healthy, idk.

My 2017 HEMI under 50,000miles hasn't developed the tick ... yet ... maybe, because I performed oci's(@3000 miles) from day one ... and possibly have so far, have gotten lucky changing from (PP 5W/20 winter months and 5w/30 summer months) on the first try with Red Line 5w/30. So far, all is good.

Anyhow, keep on keeping on and give whatever oil/filter combo a chance to "do it's thing" before moving onto another. To many oci's with different oils and you may never find what does the "fix".

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@JHoward Thanks for that. I was just sharing articles. Not really asking any questions or making queries. I already know the oil I want to use. I will use Mobil1 FS 0w40 for this oil change, and then when I am doing the next change, I will take a sample and do an analysis with Blackstone. After that, I will do a change for Redline 5w30. Then the next will be Magnatec SUV 5w30 C3

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
@JHoward Thanks for that. I was just sharing articles. Not really asking any questions or making queries. I already know the oil I want to use. I will use Mobil1 FS 0w40 for this oil change, and then when I am doing the next change, I will take a sample and do an analysis with Blackstone. After that, I will do a change for Redline 5w30. Then the next will be Magnatec SUV 5w30 C3
Post a picture of the FS 0w40 bottles you guys have and the back labels when you get them! Also do you guys have FS 5w30 mobil 1 where you live? That may be a better choice for your high temperature climate.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

Take my comment with a grain of salt ... sometimes I get carried away and yak too much. I'm putting myself in detention for a week.

Keep working for that oil strategy for your HEMI and once found, all will be good.

Hammer down and happy motoring!

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

My climate isn't as hot and dry as yours but it can see 46degC during summer. Winter minimums maybe 5degC but these are extremes (Lake Macquarie, NSW Australia). I've been using 5W-20 Redline during the winter months and switch to 5W-30 Redline for summer. Couldn't buy 10-48 Poyal Purple filters here and Summit won't ship them to Australia, so I'm using the Fram XG2 equivalent which Summit would send me. The larger filters don't fit a right hand drive Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi (no room).

I rarely get tick, the only time it does it is if I leave it parked on a downward slope (in front of the shed) and then put it away. It ticks on startup the next morning. So what I have to do is reverse it into the shed and then leave it running for a minute or two, run the throttle up a bit and let the idle stabilise. Then it's OK in the morning. I'm wondering if it's actually filter drain or at least oil drain back at that vehicle angle.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
My climate isn't as hot and dry as yours but it can see 46degC during summer. Winter minimums maybe 5degC but these are extremes (Lake Macquarie, NSW Australia). I've been using 5W-20 Redline during the winter months and switch to 5W-30 Redline for summer. Couldn't buy 10-48 Poyal Purple filters here and Summit won't ship them to Australia, so I'm using the Fram XG2 equivalent which Summit would send me. The larger filters don't fit a right hand drive Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi (no room).

I rarely get tick, the only time it does it is if I leave it parked on a downward slope (in front of the shed) and then put it away. It ticks on startup the next morning. So what I have to do is reverse it into the shed and then leave it running for a minute or two, run the throttle up a bit and let the idle stabilise. Then it's OK in the morning. I'm wondering if it's actually filter drain or at least oil drain back at that vehicle angle.

Imo, your much better with using the FRAM XG2 than the smaller RP 10-48.

There is more filter media with the larger oil filter. I don't really know why they went to the smaller filter sometime around 2013 ... most folks reason that it has to do with the addition of the electric power steering rack and there isn't enough room for the larger filter.(MOPAR 899)

The larger Royal Purple 20-820 and equivalent(s) fit just fine on my 2017. Seek out the oil filter thread ...

Usually, before I shut my HEMI down for the day, I give it a little short/quick rev up to about 2000 rpm's ... it helps my HEMI by keeping the dry startup clatter from happening abit less ...

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

Well, I didn't take in the right hand drive and being in Australia, so I understand why the larger filters won't fit. Maybe going to an oil filter relocation would be a good thing, then you could use the larger filters?

I've thought about using RL 5w/20 for winter, but that's only for about 4 months where I reside where it gets on average around 30° in the early morning and evenings and switching for just a few months isn't worth the extra $$$ being spent on already expensive oil. So, I have been using RL5w/30 through all seasons with good results.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

That is really interesting, try this a couple times with the 5w30 redline and see if you still have to do this. As in don't adjust, just try what makes it tick with 5w20 and see if it still happens. The drain back valves don't work, oil is hot when you turn off your truck and there is zero chance that valve holds back thin oil under gravity. However, most hemi's when they park are level and due to filter location it holds oil at least in the filter. My guess your situation oil is not only not being held in lines, but actually draining from the filter as well. I really am curious if the 5w30 will help you here, if it will have more oil or film stay on the metal when you turn it off hot. I think common oil knowledge will say it isnt gonna happen, but if nothing else we have proven common oil knowledge have some holes in it :)

If you ever do a relocate filter, you might want to tip the unit to match the parking angle if this is a permanant situation. But then it will be an issue when level, but I would want the first cold start protected more as opposed to when you drive to the store. Hella interesting case, just maybe 5w30 redline will work. I would never suggest the 10-48, but like I said interesting case, maybe this would work, dunno. The issue with the 10-48 is warm oil idle psi, but at the moment this isnt the issue. Then what if 10-48 works on start up and the 10-48 also keeps warm idle tick away. The fact is, it is good you are taking steps and trying stuff, these engines let you know when they arent happy, and with cam/lifter issues being so prevalent, it sounds like maybe you are close to the sweet spot. Just maybe 5w30 solves everything, if so stay with bigger filter imo.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmm.. Interesting.
What is the average temparture in your city during Summer. If it is anything like what we have here in Dubai, then maybe you should move to a thicker oil like Mobil 1 FS 0W40 before it gets any worse.
Nice to see you on here, being that your from UAE. I am actually working in Saudi Arabia right now. Truck is back in Houston.

With that being said, Houston does get very hot, but nothing like this portion of the middle east.

The tick that I experience happens both in hot and cold climates that I have ran my truck in. When its cold, its less noticeable. I have thought about going to 5w30 instead of the 5w20 but I've read running anything other than the recommended weight can cause MDS issues.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice to see you on here, being that your from UAE. I am actually working in Saudi Arabia right now. Truck is back in Houston.

With that being said, Houston does get very hot, but nothing like this portion of the middle east.

The tick that I experience happens both in hot and cold climates that I have ran my truck in. When its cold, its less noticeable. I have thought about going to 5w30 instead of the 5w20 but I've read running anything other than the recommended weight can cause MDS issues.
My brother's 2004 Durango had a HEMI with MDS. His maintenance manual called for 5w30. That is what he used the whole time he had the vehicle and the engine was great. Never had a tick, ever. He sold it later because he wanted a sedan. So I don't see it being a problem using 5w30.
My 2014 Ram currently has MDS and it is running Redline 5w30 with no issues at all. In fact it sounds really smooth. Now this isn't an ad for Redline. I believe if you live in a hot climate with above 40.C weather in Summer, then using a good 5w30 oil with short OCIs early in the life of the engine will save you from ever having to face the tick. The dealership over here mostly uses Mopar 5w30 in the engines when it is at the dealership for a service. However they will sell you 5w20 if you go and buy the oil to do it yourself. This is what I;ve noticed that happens to many Hemi engines here. We're ignorant and think that we're doing well by getting the factory oil - not knowing for our weather, even the dealer knows its a bad idea. I learned that the hard way.
If you do unfortunately get a tick, find out if it is lifters or manifold bolts. First take care of the bolts. If that does not work, then its the lifters and I would suggest then using only Redline. OR, change out the lifters and then use a good 5w30 or 0w40 oil.
I'm not an expert. I learned it the hard way and based off knowledge I took from this thread. There are far more qualified people to comment here if you have more questions. For your case, I would suggest using Redline 5w30 or switching to PUP 5w30 with some Lubegard Biotech.

Saudi is an interesting place. Hope you have a good stay there.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Been a minute since iv been on this thread

I think i did the first TB cleaning at 30,000mi or sooner.

Here she is with over 80,000 total. So 50,000+ miles without cleaning the TB.

Not bad at all IMO

Air filter side

Manifold side

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Been a minute since iv been on this thread

I think i did the first TB cleaning at 30,000mi or sooner.

Here she is with over 80,000 total. So 50,000+ miles without cleaning the TB.

Not bad at all IMO

Air filter side

Manifold side

And if you do this please use the correct product. DO NOT use break clean.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Very interesting... using Redline 5w30 and still having a tick. Maybe it is the thinner 5w20. I use the stock Mopar filters on my Hemi. We don't get the RP ones either. So stock Mopar filter and Redline 5w30 is what I've been using. Maybe just use the one weight.
I always see Aussie guys using weights like 0w40 or 10w40 in their engines - specifically Castrol Edge. maybe try that and see.
You do have a great oil called Castrol Magnatec 5w30 C3. I wish that I could try that on my engine over here. We don't get it due to the unique way Castrol markets and sells their products.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother's 2004 Durango had a HEMI with MDS. His maintenance manual called for 5w30. That is what he used the whole time he had the vehicle and the engine was great. Never had a tick, ever. He sold it later because he wanted a sedan. So I don't see it being a problem using 5w30.
My 2014 Ram currently has MDS and it is running Redline 5w30 with no issues at all. In fact it sounds really smooth. Now this isn't an ad for Redline. I believe if you live in a hot climate with above 40.C weather in Summer, then using a good 5w30 oil with short OCIs early in the life of the engine will save you from ever having to face the tick. The dealership over here mostly uses Mopar 5w30 in the engines when it is at the dealership for a service. However they will sell you 5w20 if you go and buy the oil to do it yourself. This is what I;ve noticed that happens to many Hemi engines here. We're ignorant and think that we're doing well by getting the factory oil - not knowing for our weather, even the dealer knows its a bad idea. I learned that the hard way.
If you do unfortunately get a tick, find out if it is lifters or manifold bolts. First take care of the bolts. If that does not work, then its the lifters and I would suggest then using only Redline. OR, change out the lifters and then use a good 5w30 or 0w40 oil.
I'm not an expert. I learned it the hard way and based off knowledge I took from this thread. There are far more qualified people to comment here if you have more questions. For your case, I would suggest using Redline 5w30 or switching to PUP 5w30 with some Lubegard Biotech.

Saudi is an interesting place. Hope you have a good stay there.
That’s a pre Eagle Hemi so no cam/lifter problems on those. Just dropped valve seats and those were pretty rare.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s a pre Eagle Hemi so no cam/lifter problems on those. Just dropped valve seats and those were pretty rare.
I'm pretty much convinced that it might be the usage of thinner oils that caused these lifter/cam failures on newer Hemis. And all in the name of better EPA ratings. For some people it has been fine with not a single issue. For others, especially those living in hot climates like myself, it has been tough. Of course that is just my theory. So now that I've changed all the lifters and I've broken in the rebuilt engine on Redline 5w30, I'm thinking of trying out the theory on my vehicle. I would use a good oil like Castrol Magnatec / Edge or Mobil1. I'm going to keep the OCIs short at 5000kms.
IMO using Redline 5w30 is the confirmed way to make sure that you don't ever develop the tick. But I want to know if using a 5w30 oil of any brand will give me the same results. I've heard from some guys on the BITOG forum who have used Mobil1 0w40 and 10w40 on their Hemi engines from new with short OCIs and have never had any issues. Others have used PP and PUP 5w30. So I'm hoping for positive results. The hope is that it will never have the tick again.