Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Anybody have any idea how much oil actually gets pumped from doing this crank to prime method?

I also agree. I start my truck and drive it for a couple minutes just to get the oil in the oily places and mix up the contaminants as stated.

Next time though, don’t dump all the oil back out of the filter. I’ll usually fill it up and let it soak like you said for a good 15-20 minutes at least and then I’ll add enough so it doesn’t dump out when you turn it sideways. Keeps it a good 1/3 full anyway

A guy would need the oil pump flow curves, know the average flow restriction of the entire Hemi oil system, then look at the pump curve for a timed flow estimate at crank rpm.

@Burla had a great idea - if'n you see pressure @ the EVIC, you should be good to go. Presuming the EVIC sensor is far enough downstream the oil gallies to have most of the engine wetted.

Like I said, to be sure I go through 2 crank cycles of 20 seconds before starting, if the truck has sat more than a day. Most everything should have oil on it by then even @ only 200 rpm or so.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
New question, if you had hemi tick especially at dry cold start, why would this help? I mean the engine is turning anyway, so everything that is mechanical is turning, which also includes cam and lifters, right? If you have hemi tick with gas start, wouldnt you also have hemi tick on a battery turned no start engine?

Yeah, but it's only @ 200 rpm without combustion pressure. Going near immediately to 1400 rpm with combustion pressure with a dry engine is terrible.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like I said, to be sure I go through 2 crank cycles of 20 seconds before starting, if the truck has sat more than a day. Most everything should have oil on it by then even @ only 200 rpm or so.
That's pretty much what I do on everything I own that is capable of extended crank without starting.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It was just a matter of time? Dare I suggest synthetic def fluid?

Introducing BlueDEF PLATINUM with advanced SYSTEM SHIELD technology. A groundbreaking premium Diesel Exhaust Fluid with a proprietary formula to tackle deposits that can build up in the SCR system. BlueDEF Platinum; 2.5 Gallon; Uses advanced SYSTEM SHIELD technology to reduce future deposits. Maintains optimum fuel economy. Saves money on costly repairs. Sustains the life of your SCR system.

Amazon sells normal def 4 packs for 72 bucks, and they sell this product 2 packs for 64 bucks. Hpwever, pricing on this product is all over the board, in some cases even cheaper then def, dunno maybe running out of sell date you can get deals on ebay, apparently def has a date on it and it's no joke.

So yeah I do know about zero on this product, so I have no comment on marketing or formula. Maybe worth looking into if you have a diesel and find it cheaper then reg def.

12255182_bdf_deg002_pri_larg.jpg

Versus conventional def, lol.

81vFPlD38nL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This is someone from Peak platinum def in a Q&A session and is their official position...

BlueDEF Platinum is a mixture of high purity synthetic urea, deionized water and a proprietary formulation featuring Old World Industries' new Advanced System Shield technology, which significantly reduces harmful deposits that commonly build up in modern diesel exhaust systems with SCR. BlueDEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid is a mixture of high purity synthetic urea and deionized water that is used in Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) systems in diesel vehicles. DEF is used to help convert NOx to harmless nitrogen and water.

Apparently other companies are also onboard, prime guard "ultra guard" is another option. HMM, they name stealing from pennzoil, platinum and ultra are the names for their synthetic fluids? Wait, did I just dry snitch? Kyle rubbing off on me.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
It was just a matter of time? Dare I suggest synthetic def fluid?

Introducing BlueDEF PLATINUM with advanced SYSTEM SHIELD technology. A groundbreaking premium Diesel Exhaust Fluid with a proprietary formula to tackle deposits that can build up in the SCR system. BlueDEF Platinum; 2.5 Gallon; Uses advanced SYSTEM SHIELD technology to reduce future deposits. Maintains optimum fuel economy. Saves money on costly repairs. Sustains the life of your SCR system.

Amazon sells normal def 4 packs for 72 bucks, and they sell this product 2 packs for 64 bucks. Hpwever, pricing on this product is all over the board, in some cases even cheaper then def, dunno maybe running out of sell date you can get deals on ebay, apparently def has a date on it and it's no joke.

So yeah I do know about zero on this product, so I have no comment on marketing or formula. Maybe worth looking into if you have a diesel and find it cheaper then reg def.

View attachment 522861

Versus conventional def, lol.

81vFPlD38nL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg
Snake oil gimmick to justify a higher price point. DEF is mandated to be 32.5% Urea and 67.5% DI water.

The date code thing is a boondoggle. It states the date of manufacture, not an expiration, because the shelf life is very variable depending on temperature. It is also photoreactive, so riding it around in the back of your open truck is not good. Most of them stamp the date in a "reverse Julian" format, which is not helpful, plus the year is the yer of manufacture +1. WTF.

I ran mostly Walmart DEF, usually the cheapest around, with zero codes in almost 70K miles. I pulled my DEF injector at my 40K service, and it was clean as a whistle.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
For those with diesels, why not make the real "stuff" at home by taking a leak into an empty one gallon milk jug and saving it instead of going to the toilet or at their favorite outside spot lol?!

Is that stuff really blue, Idk ... pee pee is yellowish and unfiltered but that could simply be remedied with an dye and home made filter, lol?!

They'd be saving money buying that BLU DEF stuff and would still protecting the environment for the tree huggers.

If they needed it stronger for whatever reason, then they could consume any type of beer with an higher alcohol content ... or, maybe a little "white light'n" to really purify that exhaust.

So, imo the diesel owner and the tree hugger would still both benefit by simply using the "home brew stuff"?!

Ok, I'm just kidding!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just in vase someone is interested.. Well, if you can get platinum even cheaper like on ebay, I might be a player if I had a def system. Nothing to add past this one, just thought it was interesting the direction of exhaust fluid was taking.

Peaks position on platinum def

PR piece.

one guys experience

Average guy makes a case for platinum.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
For those with diesels, why not make the real "stuff" at home by taking a leak into an empty one gallon milk jug and saving it instead of going to the toilet or at their favorite outside spot lol?!

Is that stuff really blue, Idk ... pee pee is yellowish and unfiltered but that could simply be remedied with an dye and home made filter, lol?!

They'd be saving money buying that BLU DEF stuff and would still protecting the environment for the tree huggers.

If they needed it stronger for whatever reason, then they could consume any type of beer with an higher alcohol content ... or, maybe a little "white light'n" to really purify that exhaust.

So, imo the diesel owner and the tree hugger would still both benefit by simply using the "home brew stuff"?!

Ok, I'm just kidding!
I think you would have to boil some water out to get the right % of urea, but that would likely damage it, who knows, but yeah all urea is mimmicks pee. Makes you wonder how they actually make it. They use cow bone for gelatin, they use cow pee for urea? Vegetarians stop eating that jello now.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
IMO the good news is cummins best years are pre def, whether 12 valve or HO years, I see little reason to buy new diesels for personal use. I think I would even buy gas engine is most cases even with towing if I was buying a new HD, and that is a new thing.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
IMO the good news is cummins best years are pre def, whether 12 valve or HO years, I see little reason to buy new diesels for personal use. I think I would even buy gas engine is most cases even with towing if I was buying a new HD, and that is a new thing.

Yep. Exactly why I went 6.4 Hemi Ram 2500.

That new Durmax 3.0 inline 6 surely temps me but for all the exhaust crap.
Supposedly they fixed their Gen 1 issues, and DPF won't clog short-tripping, but still. I think it was Wild One that pointed out for some reason they're using an internal belt-driven oil pump, which is inexplicable to me. Also, supposedly, GM fixed their variant of the joint venture 10 speed auto trans.
I don't care for any GM gas engine these days, except maybe the 6.2. Ford is coming out with a 6.8 gas, well see if it's a pig like GM's 6.6

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I did the gasser HD thing, and it all sounds good, but with 20K behind you it's very tiring listening to that 6.4 turn 5K for miles on end up a long grade. What's even less fun is going down the other side trying to milk the service brakes without making them go away. You can downshift until the engine is about to come unglued, but you are still on the binders. With the Cummins you chug up one side, and slide on down the other without ever touching the pedals. Absolutely no comparison.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Most cases didnt mean towing 20k, kinda self explanatory imo, gonna need a diesel for that. Also, even though a PITA, newer cummins will have a higher tow capacity assuming you get the right gear ratio even over the HO cummins. So in this limited group, not only diesel but newer diesel is the way to go.

None of the HO years allowed for 20k pounds (2500 or 3500), but nowadays there is options for over 20k. So if you tow that heavy yeah new cummins.