Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No it was a 400/400 car. Lots of fun memories in that car.
It sported its original paint until 2010. He had the vinyl top removed and it repainted. 1 owner less then 100k miles. I think its at 75-80k. They drove that car from Texas to California back when they were getting away from leaded fuel. All they had was unload in Cali. They drove through Death Valley on accident with the ac blasting.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This doesnt end well. Michelin puts trash into tires.

MICHELIN’S AMBITION IS TO INTEGRATE 100% RECYCLED OR BIOSOURCED MATERIAL INTO ITS TIRES BY 2050

You know rubber is renewable? Tires are a simple miracle, just imagine what they are asked to do. Some tiny homes live on them, and then drive when needed. You want to risk your life on recycled plastic infused tires? nah

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very interesting, thanks for doing the work on that. I'd consider RL if the new formula is still "honey worthy" and the price is good.

On a different note, just watched the latest YT video from Savage Geese; apparently the 2024 toyota crown specs 0w-8. Yes. "8". :shakehead:
You can be sure that the Toyota dealer and the mechanics here would never touch that stuff. They'd use what they've been using all the time for Toyota engines..
Lexus oil.jpg
I even contemplated using it myself for my Hemi engine. It is 5w40, its cheap and its produced by an oil company here in UAE in collaboration with "Idemitsu Kosan" - which I know makes oils with one of the highest moly content.
I'm gonna take a sample and send it off to Blackstone for analysis. Perhaps a voa will tell us if it good enough for our Hemi engines.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Burla Wow.. closing on 50k posts. A milestone and keeps us wondering if a thread about oil needs to be this long. Granted not all of it was about oil.
There were deviations into coolant, transmission, politics, EVs and quite a bit on coffee, which made me feel really sleep. Yes, coffee makes me drowsy. I'm weird.

When it comes to EVs, they're not going to save the planet. Elon is right, it is the most efficient way to power a vehicle, but not the best since it lacks the flexibility in terms of range. Blaming the shortfalls on the lack of infrastructure isn't going to help either. It takes me just 10 minutes to top up a fuel tank and get another 600kms of driving. Where's the EV with anything close to that rate of charging in and range?
I have more to say on that topic, but I will save that for another time and another conversation. We're here to talk about engine oil.

My truck is in the shop right now for a complete fluid change. However there was an issue when the mechanic opened up the transmission.

That said, I took this video yesterday after the oil was changed.

The engine sounds so smooth. Dare I say it, a bit better than when I was running RL 5w30.
I was running RL 5w30 after the last rebuild. Ran it for 6000 kms and then changed over to Mobil1 FS 0w40 based on recommendations on here and BITOG.
This is the second change with Mobil1 FS 0w40.
512nhnMNPoL._AC_.jpg

So what have I learned going through everything I did and reading 48k+ posts on this thread.

Anyone who has just purchased a Ram 1500 (new or used) with the 5.7 HEMI should do the following right away.

1. Forget what the manual says because manufacturers are only chasing EPA ratings.

2. Keep the oil change intervals short. I'm doing it at every 5000 kms (approx 3000 miles). Use an oil that will last 6000 miles, but always change it at 3000 - 4000.

3. Use a good 5w30 or 0w40 oil as soon as possible.
Recommended oil for the 5.7 Hemis are:
- Redline 5w30 - if the budget allows and you can use it, then you can take the change interval to about every 5000 miles.
- Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 0w40
- Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Platinum 5w30 with Lubegard Biotech
- Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40

Other honorable mentions are:
- Valvoline Fully Synthetic 5w30
- Castrol Edge 5w30 / 0w40
- Castrol Magnatec SUV 5w30 C3

4. If you have a Hemi lifter tick, and you don't want to do a rebuild, then use Redline HP 5w40 first and then RL HP 5w30 continuous after. Another recommended combo is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 with Lubegard Biotech.

I can't recommend Amsoil SS 5w30 because my engine didn't sound too good with it and the cost of the oil for me here in Dubai was about the same as Redline. I only used it because Redline was not available. Maybe I can give it another try.
Considering Mobil 1 FS 0w40 is readily available anywhere, I think that it is the best choice for anyone after Redline.

Edit: Considering the recent posts about tin being in Redline, I'm wondering if I should still keep it as my #1 recommendation.

Last edited:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
What are you driving now? Did you get another Ram?
I ordered a Sierra 3500 Duramax. Not an easy decision. Ram has not improved the trucks, but raised prices much more than GM. Mostly, while durable, the driveability of the Aisin is terrible. It is a clanging, banging stumblebum. Ford still runs the CP4, so they were out.

Hope it works out. I have had 100% bad luck with every GM vehicle I have owned in the past. It's been 20 years since I lemon lawed my last GM truck, so fingers crossed.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ordered a Sierra 3500 Duramax. Not an easy decision. Ram has not improved the trucks, but raised prices much more than GM. Mostly, while durable, the driveability of the Aisin is terrible. It is a clanging, banging stumblebum. Ford still runs the CP4, so they were out.

Hope it works out. I have had 100% bad luck with every GM vehicle I have owned in the past. It's been 20 years since I lemon lawed my last GM truck, so fingers crossed.
Hope it works out for you. I really do like the look for the new GM trucks (exterior).
The GM 1500s are frankly the best look of the latest truck models (Sorry Ram). However the interior I feel leaves a bit to be desired. The infotainment software is good and works well. The design of the interior and materials used, I'm not a fan of - especially when you consider price of the higher trims.
Their latest large screens look like an afterthought and you sit a bit too low in the cab when venturing off road.
All trucks have their good points and bad points. I can some things about the new Rams too.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
You can be sure that the Toyota dealer and the mechanics here would never touch that stuff. They'd use what they've been using all the time for Toyota engines..
View attachment 526646
I even contemplated using it myself for my Hemi engine. It is 5w40, its cheap and its produced by an oil company here in UAE in collaboration with "Idemitsu Kosan" - which I know makes oils with one of the highest moly content.
I'm gonna take a sample and send it off to Blackstone for analysis. Perhaps a voa will tell us if it good enough for our Hemi engines.

Wow I went to the link and it was an Arabic login.
What is the price?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Good choice, I think. I've read the engine is bullet proof these days as long as they don't put the cheapo Bosch CP4 cost-reduced fuel pump on it. Can't speak to all the exhaust emissions crap.
What transmission and axle are in it?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Milky oil = emulsified with water. Another reason there is no such thing as no change oils since gear boxes have breathers open to atmosphere to allow oil to thermally expand and contract without pressurizing the gearbox and blowing out seals.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
PUP used to be $28 USD for 5 quarts, price went way up, and only 0W-40 had moly spiked.
PUP is an API Group III+ (GTL).
Do you know what the Toyota branded stuff is?