Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Within 3 weeks time gas prices here went from 4.29 to 5.99 no kidding. Where will it stop?

story here, now most of cali is rural, but if you live in a population center such as I do in the bay area, the numbers are far worse. it is indeed up nearly 2 bucks in 3 weeks.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Next step is oilless, like a cheap air compressor.
Exceeding the limits of physics has been done. These days, it is all the rage with a lot of deception as to that set of possibilities.

There is no free lunch in this world, and there is no perpetual motion. Add the fact that people are greedy for power and going fast, well, there ya go! ;)

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
Layed out in the rocks and changed my oil yesterday.

Still with Amsoil SS, but I finally switched to 5-30. I've run 5-20 since the truck was new, Pup until about 45K, Amsoil SS ever since. 91K now.

It's becoming an old work truck now, but I still love it.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I haven't done a UOA in decades. At that time I was using Fleetguard. I was having fits with two different Ferds with the junk Cornbinder 6.9 diesels and oil consumption. They both had very high iron, but the one was off the charts. I figured test results would help me convince Ferd to do the right thing, but Ford literally told me UOA was meaningless, and they "do not recognize it as a diagnostic tool". That's when I stopped.

I am thinking about implementing a UOA regimen on my '24 Cummins, and wondering what the preferred lab is, today? Is TBN normally included?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Layed out in the rocks and changed my oil yesterday.

Still with Amsoil SS, but I finally switched to 5-30. I've run 5-20 since the truck was new, Pup until about 45K, Amsoil SS ever since. 91K now.

It's becoming an old work truck now, but I still love it.
once you go gravel driveway, you will never go back.

J-13GTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Thinking about making the switch to redline 5w-30 for my 6.4. Its a high mileage engine and it did something that scared me today. Had a lifter tick at cold start up for close to 30 seconds. Have never had that happen. Lifters and cam are new with less then 8k miles on them. Last oil change I used Rotella T6 with Lube grad and Fram ultra guard. I'm sitting at about 2700 on this oil change. So time to try something new. Is redline still the go to for best motor oil for the 6.4's and if it is, is it recommend to run lube grad with it.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thinking about making the switch to redline 5w-30 for my 6.4. Its a high mileage engine and it did something that scared me today. Had a lifter tick at cold start up for close to 30 seconds. Have never had that happen. Lifters and cam are new with less then 8k miles on them. Last oil change I used Rotella T6 with Lube grad and Fram ultra guard. I'm sitting at about 2700 on this oil change. So time to try something new. Is redline still the go to for best motor oil for the 6.4's and if it is, is it recommend to run lube grad with it.
What grade of Rotella did you use? 5w20, 0w40?
If you're going to use Redline 5w30 is perfect as is and you don't need any kind of additive to it. I would actually advise against it.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
As I learned from several of our oil Guru's here, if using RL HP 5W30 or HPL SC 0W30, there is no need to add in Lubegard as well.

My thought is to try the RL HP 5W30 and see what it does for your 6.4.
Use the best synthetic media oil filter available for your engine, too.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Within 3 weeks time gas prices here went from 4.29 to 5.99 no kidding. Where will it stop?

story here, now most of cali is rural, but if you live in a population center such as I do in the bay area, the numbers are far worse. it is indeed up nearly 2 bucks in 3 weeks.

OK - bit the bullet and went to Costco this morning - got there before 10 AM so it was only half jammed with confused old ladies.

$3.599 for Top Tier Premium (91 octane) with mandatory 10% ethanol via MN State Bribe, er, Law.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I haven't done a UOA in decades. At that time I was using Fleetguard. I was having fits with two different Ferds with the junk Cornbinder 6.9 diesels and oil consumption. They both had very high iron, but the one was off the charts. I figured test results would help me convince Ferd to do the right thing, but Ford literally told me UOA was meaningless, and they "do not recognize it as a diagnostic tool". That's when I stopped.

I am thinking about implementing a UOA regimen on my '24 Cummins, and wondering what the preferred lab is, today? Is TBN normally included?

The reason it is mostly meaningless is they don't test much for consumers. An industrial test lab will provide many more parameters that actually can lead to an assessment.

TBN helps. A little. Not to the extent that Blackstone claims.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used the 5w-40 T6
I'm not sure if Rotella is for Petrol or Diesel engines. I'm guessing it is for Diesel. The manual states to use Pennzoil or Shell Helix. So if you are going with a Shell branded product, I would get Shell Helix Ultra 5W30 or 5W40.
However I would prefer using something like Redline.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brendo99