Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just disappointing when the rav 4 pre cvt is so awesome, easy to service and ***** great, I live on a steep hill and it is smooth. Clearly, it isn't effecting sales, lol. These people are ruining everything and consumers seam to not care.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
dodge hornet, so no cvt

Transmission:
  • 9-speed 948TE automatic transmission
  • 6-speed Aisin F21-250 PHEV automatic transmission

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Clearly, it isn't effecting sales
Everyone has to have the newest and "greatest". Have to keep up with the Jones's.

Wife:"honey did you see the neighbors got a nice new suv? I sure wish we could get a new car." Husband "we don't need a new car yours works perfectly fine." One week later they're at the dealership picking out a new car.

Kind of along the same line but I'm glad my wife and I don't have very many friends. Every time one of them p-e-c-k-e-r heads would have a baby and the wife got to see the new baby. First thing she would say when she'd get home is we should have a baby. Luckily I escaped with only 2.

Last edited:

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everyone has to have the newest and "greatest". Have to keep up with the Jones's.

Wife:"honey did you see the neighbors got a nice new suv? I sure wish we could get a new car." Husband "we don't need a new car yours works perfectly fine." One week later they're at the dealership picking out a new car....................
Fought that fight for over two years. Ended up with a new to us mid size SUV with very low miles.

Sold the car to a woman a few miles from us. Saw that car on the road for years after. She said it was the best car she ever had.

Perfectly good, nice and sound, doesn't mean much when a person wants something different.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
See, that's just it - what is a 'lifetime'?

You'd better believe the marketers know exactly what the target life of the vehicle is, and the 6 Sigma ownership length of mileage. Then they task design and cost to match.

Ask me how I know.
Exactly! At one stage Mitsubishi in Australia were giving 10 year full warranty. You factor in the final runouts of a series/model and some of those cars would still be in warranty 11-12 years after they stopped building it. There would be no service engines or transmissions left by then. Mitsubishi would factor in:

How many were written off.
How many missed service intervals so warranty could be denied.
How many people didn't pursue it after the dealer said no.
How many were so trashed that no-one wanted them and they got wrecked out. Or fake-stolen and burnt out claiming on insurance.
Other similar stuff.

Maybe 30% of the cars tops would still be eligible.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The other guys nailed it, there is nothing you can do when "they" want a shiney thing. Either eat a isht sandwich and take it like a man, or do the hobo walk with your bag hanging off you shoulder like a man. No right answer, but I'm done kow towing, I'd rather die then give in to be honest, lol.\

I'm ready

53659549840_4969d071f4_w.jpg

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The other guys nailed it, there is nothing you can do when "they" want a shiney thing. Either eat a isht sandwich and take it like a man, or do the hobo walk with your bag hanging off you shoulder like a man. No right answer, but I'm done kow towing, I'd rather die then give in to be honest, lol.\

I'm ready

View attachment 541254

One reason I bought the suv is it was nice, reasonably priced, much more comfortable car for her to drive, and us to take on trips, annnnnd, this is my third marriage, and I can't take breaking down another woman. I mean breaking in........

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What can you guys tell me about cvt transmissions, apparently rav 4 went cvt 2019. It looks like most of these suv's that are top sellers use this transmission.
I have one in my daily Nissan Rogue which are generally notorious for early failures. BUT with that said a good friend of mine had a 2013 Nissan Maxima with 181k on it that had 0 CVT issues. He religiously changed the CVT fluid every 30k. The Nissan dealer he had change the CVT fluid gave him pushback every time he went to change the CVT fluid because "its lifetime fluid" but he insisted they change it. He would still be driving it too but unfortunately he hit a deer and the ins co totaled it.

My Rogue has 92k on it now and the CVT works perfectly. When I bought it with 83k on it I did a pan drop/filter change and 2 more drain and fills. The fluid was in really good shape when I first dropped the pan so I'm assuming it had been changed at some point.

Anyways long story short, like everything else in todays world, change the fluid more often than the manu recommends and they can be a good reliable transmission. Listen to the manu that its "lifetime fluid" and CVTs will not last long.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi

I'm ready

View attachment 541254

You realize, I hope, that all those trains you're hopping are EV right?

Or so I've heard. :eek: :rofl:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Burla's wife has the answer - an unreliable, overhyped, depreciating, low residual value vehicle with no winter range run by a kooky billionaire inheritance man-child.

The perfect vehicle for all!
Ol' Muskellunge, the blowhard supreme, is getting a little dose of reality, and a heapin' helpin' yet to come.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have one in my daily Nissan Rogue which are generally notorious for early failures. BUT with that said a good friend of mine had a 2013 Nissan Maxima with 181k on it that had 0 CVT issues. He religiously changed the CVT fluid every 30k. The Nissan dealer he had change the CVT fluid gave him pushback every time he went to change the CVT fluid because "its lifetime fluid" but he insisted they change it. He would still be driving it too but unfortunately he hit a deer and the ins co totaled it.

My Rogue has 92k on it now and the CVT works perfectly. When I bought it with 83k on it I did a pan drop/filter change and 2 more drain and fills. The fluid was in really good shape when I first dropped the pan so I'm assuming it had been changed at some point.

Anyways long story short, like everything else in todays world, change the fluid more often than the manu recommends and they can be a good reliable transmission. Listen to the manu that its "lifetime fluid" and CVTs will not last long.
easy to service, dip stick as well?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ol' Muskellunge, the blowhard supreme, is getting a little dose of reality, and a heapin' helpin' yet to come.

It's not musk that's the problem though. He should be free to waste whatever money he wants on whatever ridiculous project he wants and people should be free to invest (ie: "lose") money in his fun toys and people should be free to buy them.

But it's reaching the point where we're no longer free to NOT buy them. This is the real problem.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
easy to service, dip stick as well?
The Rogue is super easy, there's a drain plug on the trans pan as well as a dipstick tube. From the factory it doesn't come with a dipstick, just a plug. However a dipstick is $14 and replaces the plug. Its as easy as an oil change after buying the dipstick. Drain and fill with 3.5 qts of Amsoil CVT fluid takes my under 30 mins.

I'm not sure on the 2019 Rav4 tho. I know the Camrys of the same Era don't have a dipstick tube and you have to fill it from the side of the trans. But those aren't CVTs so it may be different...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So apparantly redline oil has bailed out of california and is now doing their blending in tennessee with headquarters in houston at the same address as p66. Dave granquest has retired as well
big wow, damn their headquarters was 25 miles from me. Thanks for the scoop. California has put out rules against HP oils, I wouldnt doubt it will be outlawed here. I better put a couple more cases in the garage. They banned maxlife here, it's a joke. I think this is a smart move.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I just impulse bought me a 6 pack.

Order placed, thanks!​

​Confirmation will be sent to your email.

ORDER PLACED
April 17, 2024
TOTAL
$86.79

So price at door price 86. I think I may have 3 cases in garage, with this case that is like 8 years worth I could probably extend to 10 if they pull the same thing they did with vr1 Valvoline.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
big wow, damn their headquarters was 25 miles from me. Thanks for the scoop. California has put out rules against HP oils, I wouldnt doubt it will be outlawed here. I better put a couple more cases in the garage. They banned maxlife here, it's a joke. I think this is a smart move.

Excuse my ignorance...I live on the other coast of the US. Why did California ban MaxLife and other oils?

I'm not surprised at anything Cali does, as I used to drive trucks out there.