T-56 conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Belgiquebasterd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Inertia 392
Forget about the 2500 ram transmission then and focus on the t56 or magnum IMO.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Don't think anyone is bashing the T56. Was just simply offering a simpler drop in ready to option. I honestly forgot about the SRT10 option. Good call

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have looked alot into a t56 for my 4th gen r/t. The only reason why most say not to go with the t56 is its on a quad cab. There is a reason why no qcsb srt-10's came with them. And ill call BS on the g56 not holding power, i have built diesels with g56 that were putting 550-600hp to the wheels with 1600-1800ft-lbs of torq and held up just fine and was ran hard on a dragstrip.
As mentioned all it needs for the tuning is just reflashed to a manual tune. Its not 100% the same but i have done this swap on a 3rd gen diesel. Even though its diesel the concepts the same, and all factory parts or upgraded parts were used. No custom part stuff.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Tteal235

Tteal235

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All the T56 haters on here :), the SRT10 ram came with a T56 so it can't be all that bad for a truck :). The T56 is more sport oriented where the stock 2500 manuals are more for 'work'.

I've been running a T56 on my 2003 392 quadcab for a couple of years.

The T56 is the old tremec transmission found in the mustang, camara, aston martins, corvette and most importantly for you if you want to go this route in the SRT10 Viper dodge ram truck. There are many differences within these transmissions with the car T56's having a smaller diameter main shaft, smaller yoke,... If you decide to go the T56 route make sure you get the srt10 truck one.

About the T56 magnum, I don't know so much about this but what I do know is that the T56 Magnum is the trans you can buy from tremec for aftermarket applications, the magnum is evolved from the old T56. The TR6060 is basically the same as the T56 magnum but that is what they call it when it comes OEM with a car/truck. I can also imagine but am not sure that there are many different types of the Tr6060 so if you go this route do your research well.

My truck is a 392 2003 stroker hemi, reason for going manual is that I absolutely hated the way the stock trans ran on the street.

I used:

- a viper srt 10 TRUCK (srt10 car version trans is different) T56
- quicktime bellhousing
- act twin disk clutch (runs great, but burns up when maneuvering a trailer in a garage uphill on a gravel driveway :) ask me how i know lol)
- Quicktime bellhousing
- generic T56 throwout bearing/***** cylinder, make sure you get the one with the bleed nipple, the versions without take ages to bleed. Als measure if you need to shim the throwout bearing before install.
-Wilwood mastercylinder
- SRT10 pedal assembly, bolts right in
- carbon fibre driveshaft (I run low profile tires, therefore the driveshaft rpm at high speed comes close to the max rpm allowed for an alu shaft)
- many more stuff i forgot

Build thread:

Tremec T56 trans - Hemi Truck Club

I appreciate the input!! All of your guys comments has helped shape my path a little better and I can't wait to start this build. When taxes come back

Belgiquebasterd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Inertia 392
I have looked alot into a t56 for my 4th gen r/t. The only reason why most say not to go with the t56 is its on a quad cab. There is a reason why no qcsb srt-10's came with them. And ill call BS on the g56 not holding power, i have built diesels with g56 that were putting 550-600hp to the wheels with 1600-1800ft-lbs of torq and held up just fine and was ran hard on a dragstrip.
As mentioned all it needs for the tuning is just reflashed to a manual tune. Its not 100% the same but i have done this swap on a 3rd gen diesel. Even though its diesel the concepts the same, and all factory parts or upgraded parts were used. No custom part stuff.

Check over ont he Viper SRT10 forum, a couple of quadcab's there that did the manual trans swap, haven't read of any problems there.

Reason for choosing the T56 for me was the short throw shifter, I did not want the classic heavy truck, looser long throw shifts (my info about the G56 comes from reading online, I might be very wrong about the way it shifts).

But have to agree, it would be a lot cheaper going with an OEM option. I've never added everything up, but it was expensive, that's for sure :)!

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check over ont he Viper SRT10 forum, a couple of quadcab's there that did the manual trans swap, haven't read of any problems there.

Reason for choosing the T56 for me was the short throw shifter, I did not want the classic heavy truck, looser long throw shifts (my info about the G56 comes from reading online, I might be very wrong about the way it shifts).

But have to agree, it would be a lot cheaper going with an OEM option. I've never added everything up, but it was expensive, that's for sure :)!

didn't know that some quad cab guys were swapping it in. But yeah the shorter throw more sporty trans is a huge thing when searching for options. My swap is a little more complex since No 5.7L 4th gens received a manual trans as far as I know or could find. Ive heard rumors but when searched the forsale adds found none nor is there an option to select that on many sites...

Can you run a single piece driveshaft with the conversion and a quadcab?

Belgiquebasterd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Inertia 392
didn't know that some quad cab guys were swapping it in. But yeah the shorter throw more sporty trans is a huge thing when searching for options. My swap is a little more complex since No 5.7L 4th gens received a manual trans as far as I know or could find. Ive heard rumors but when searched the forsale adds found none nor is there an option to select that on many sites...

Can you run a single piece driveshaft with the conversion and a quadcab?

True, since the ram came with a manual option the clutch pedal was bolt in, the hole for the master cylinder was there,... But with a bit of fabrication should be doable for you :).

The driveshaft is pretty long (80 inch) so whatever route you go, make sure you don't come close to driveshaft critical rpm. I'm running a carbon fibre driveshaft, didn't want a 2 piece driveshaft since they are more prone to vibrations when not installed perfectly, some suppliers offer an aluminium driveshaft but for such a long length I think it needs to be nearly 5" diam and at high speed it's flirting with its critical rpm. The carbon one was 1200 if I recall correctly where a quality 2 piece or a alu one was around 800.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
True, since the ram came with a manual option the clutch pedal was bolt in, the hole for the master cylinder was there,... But with a bit of fabrication should be doable for you :).

The driveshaft is pretty long (80 inch) so whatever route you go, make sure you don't come close to driveshaft critical rpm. I'm running a carbon fibre driveshaft, didn't want a 2 piece driveshaft since they are more prone to vibrations when not installed perfectly, some suppliers offer an aluminium driveshaft but for such a long length I think it needs to be nearly 5" diam and at high speed it's flirting with its critical rpm. The carbon one was 1200 if I recall correctly where a quality 2 piece or a alu one was around 800.
If and when i ever get to this swap project, ill prob just modify my existing one, being a reg cab i shouldnt need much different than whats there, i need to look into the length between the 545 and the t56, im not sure what trans the OP has to compare either but being there were none produce that part will need to be custom.

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wanted to add a bit of info to this thread in case others, like me, stumble across it while doing research.

The TR-6060 is the exact same transmission as the T-56 Magnum. TR-6060 is just the designation for transmissions sent directly to OEMs and meant for specific models whereas the T-56 is the designation for generic units sent to aftermarket suppliers.

I definitely wouldn't recommend the NV5600 for a sporty application. That's assuming it's just an evolution of the NV line and not a complete redesign. The NV3500 in my '04 is very slow to shift, the gates are imprecise, and the factory shifter is housed in ABS plastic that I know for a fact will not stand up to enthusiastic shifting. I have a broken shifter housing to prove that. If the NV5600 is designed for the same task, it would be a nightmare on a performance truck.

The '06-'08 V-6 and 4.7L Rams had a 6-speed manual available. I haven't been able to confirm which one it was though. It might be either the NV5600 or the T-56. Those are the only two manuals I remember seeing listed for the 3rd gen. I can't imagine they put the heavy-duty transmission in the low-end trucks since they hadn't done that previously. So I suspect it was probably the T-56. If you could find one of those trucks (they are rare) it could give you all the parts you need far cheaper than trying to scavenge an SRT-10.

If I were going all-out on an autocross Ram I would grab the TR-6060 from a C5-C7 Corvette. For those that don't know, those years of 'Vette have the transmission located out back. That's a definite over-the-top plan since it would require fabricating a complete IRS setup and probably tons of additional mods. But it would greatly improve the handling of the truck. And it would be uber sexy.