Taking 3,000 mile trip - tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

I will be taking a 3,000 mile round trip in two weeks. Just looking for any advice or tips I should know before heading out.

I will be towing a pair of jet-skis as well.

I know to check tire pressure (any recommendations for a long trip), check lug nuts, fluids ect. Anything else I should check or prepare for?

Granite-1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I always try to remember to check spare tire air pressure in addition to the normal tires, something fairly basic but overlooked quite often. Other than that just make sure you have whatever you feel is necessary to change a flat, maybe a qt of oil, maybe some coolant, and jumper cables. That along with what you already mentioned sounds like enough, enjoy the trip!

roastpuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check the safety chains and the tie-downs on the jet skis when you stop for fuel. I've seen things come loose on the highway... it's not good.

Take your time! Don't rush, don't drive tired, just take it easy and enjoy the road trip.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have ever towed a trailer very long or very far I'm sure you have experienced flat tires/blow outs. Although you don't have a lot of weight I would make sure I have all the necessary equipment to change a trailer tire. I also used to carry a thermometer laser for the hubs. It will tell you if you have a hub that is really hot and possibly going out.(I also carried an extra hub w/ bearings). I checked them every time I stopped for gas. I also carry an electric impact and a "bottle jack" along with a piece of 2x8 to put under the jack. Most trailer tires are only rated at 65mph. Good luck and have fun!!!!!
Jay

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have ever towed a trailer very long or very far I'm sure you have experienced flat tires/blow outs. Although you don't have a lot of weight I would make sure I have all the necessary equipment to change a trailer tire. I also used to carry a thermometer laser for the hubs. It will tell you if you have a hub that is really hot and possibly going out.(I also carried an extra hub w/ bearings). I checked them every time I stopped for gas. I also carry an electric impact and a "bottle jack" along with a piece of 2x8 to put under the jack. Most trailer tires are only rated at 65mph. Good luck and have fun!!!!!
Jay

Lots of good advice here, My other advice would be rent a truck with unlimited miles and save the wear and tear on yours... Its cheaper in the long run. Anytime I drive somewhere over 500 miles I rent a vehicle. It saves the big lump miles, decline in value, wear and tear and if the vehicle breaks your not out the cash to fix it on the road, the rental company will bring you another and your on your way.

If not renting, then bring all tools needed and trailer repair stuff you may think you need to get you at least to the next town for proper repairs.

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good stuff guys. There will be four of us in the truck, but probably just me and my buddy will drive in 6 hours shifts. (~24 hour drive). Probably better off not letting the ladies get us lost or putting the jet skis into another car lol.

We plan on getting a spare tire for the trailer before heading out. I really like the idea to check the temperature... I wonder if I can get something like that at Harbor Freight.

I am glad you mentioned to check the straps at every stop... I probably would have over looked that honestly.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Duct tape. If I take my vehicles on long trip I bring a small box of tools. Just basic stuff that can help you get to a major city if you have problems. Tape, screw drivers, crescent wrench pliers ect, and some fluids such a colent or water and oil. Other than that good advice here don't have much to add.

05christj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
And don't forget to cross your straps in back on the jet-skis!!!!

Ha ha sarcasm overflowing from a past thread.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
As the retired type I travel quite a bit and I can offer a few tips if I may. Make sure you vehicle has fresh oil or close to fresh, assuming you vehicle is new/newer the belts and all other fluids should be good otherwise have them checked, same goes for windshield wipers. Before leaving make sure your tire pressures are up/proper and wear is sufficient, don't forget the spare as far as inflation. Check that your jacking system is sufficient as there's nothing worse than getting a flat and pieces are missing. If there's clutter on the dash or anywhere really clean it up as you don't want stuff flying around due to wind/sudden manuver etc. You may have GPS but I always take a map, you might be surprised at how many places are not GPS accessible. Same for gas, I always take a 5 gallon jerry can because you may find you over stretched you mpg's a wee bit.

Depending on how many people are riding with you it is amazing how drowsy you become when riding by yourself. If by yourself I would recommend stopping every 3-4 hours getting out of the truck and stretching a bit/go for a short walk on the side of the highway etc etc. If you have to continue to drive when drowsy turn up the music, grab a coffee or worse yet sing with the turned up music. I will assume you will not be the fastest vehicle on the highway so be on alert for the Mario Andretti's out there which is not as bad on the Interstate as the lonely two lane highways.

If you do not want trouble with the law obviously your best bet is not to speed especially since the small tires on your jet ski trailer will heat up nice and quick which of coarse leads to a blowout. On that point make sure you have new hubs as mentioned and for 3000 miles I would have at least two spare tires for the trailer. Next if you hit monsoon type rainfall either 1) pull over to the side of the highway if safe but 2) avoiding that slow down and hit your hazard lights. On my last trip right around Flint Mich the sky's opened up and it was tough to see, of all the vehicles on the interstate (3 plus lanes) only 2 of us hit the hazards and slowed down to a safe rate of speed. the other vehicle was a transport truck. I was amazed at the other drivers still travelling at 70 mph.

Last piece of advice would be this HAVE FUN!

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great Advice ^^

The trailer is about a month old so all new there. I didn't even think about the gas - but I keep a 5 gallon jug anyways in case I run out with the skis.

I actually recently read that it is illegal to use your hazards in the rain. I see both sides of it, and will probably continue to do it anyways lol.

fredansandy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm **** and always wash my truck/car before leaving home. LOL It is dirty and bug splattered 2 hours down the road.

I always walk around the trailer and tow vehicle at every stop and check all the connections, straps, tires, etc. At night make sure the trailer lights are functioning properly. I don't carry a laser thermometer, but I do touch the hubs to see if they running cool. Jut a word of caution, don't grab the hub. I did that once and ended up with blisters on my fingers. Just an instantaneous touch will get the job done.

If you are going to be parked and away from the vehicle for an extended period, you may want to consider a trailer hitch receiver lock and a coupler latch lock set. Don't forget to lock down the jet skis as well. I also try to park in well lit areas when possible. Also you can back the trailer up against a wall or fence which makes it difficult to steal while attached to the tow vehicle. It won't stop the bad guys, but it will keep the honest folks honest.

One of my favorite add-ons while towing is an anti rattle receiver lock. For empty trailers and light loads, the hitch can rattle and make a racket in the receiver. The anti rattle receiver lock eliminates all of the sound and lets you travel in peace.

Lots of good advice in this thread. Good luck on your trip and have a great time.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
spare set of keys for the tow vehicle, give the extra set to the most trustworthy assistant -driver. registration and insurance info. Might be overkill, but maybe basic medical info for everyone, like blood type, drug allergies, primary care doctor contacts, etc.

Hot Ducer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great Advice ^^

The trailer is about a month old so all new there. I didn't even think about the gas - but I keep a 5 gallon jug anyways in case I run out with the skis.

I actually recently read that it is illegal to use your hazards in the rain. I see both sides of it, and will probably continue to do it anyways lol.
Do NOT use your hazards for rain unless you slow down severely more than the speed limt. Do turn your regular, night time lights on.

Everyone on the road can tell it's raining and they don't need you flashing it about in everyone's face. Same goes for other weather conditions. Hazards are for just that, if you could be a hazard to someone else on the road (usually driving significantly slower than the speed limit, or when you have to pull over on the road.

Also, check trailer electrical connections, wiring, and (obviously) bulbs. You said it's newer so probably not as big of an issue if it was an older unit.

2003 1500 QuadCab 5.7 4x4

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the battery in your truck is over 4 years old (you have a '13, but when was it manufactured?), get a shop to load test it. Or get a set of jumper cables.

HOSTAGE81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Carry cash all the time incase god forbid your vehicle breaks down or you need a tow or what not, or you loose your wallet. Some places unbelievably only deal in cash. I never have a penny in my wallet when I'm in town cause I use debit card or credit card for convenience;however, whenever I'm on a trip, I always carry sufficient cash in case **** :)

Make sure your cell phone is always topped up

I always fill up when i have a quarter tank left incase there no service stations around and never wait to fill at empty

I text my brother or my loved one whenever i bed at night at whatever town I'm in so he knows where i am

if you're parking your truck and trailer in a parking lot and you're in a different state, park backed in so its not so obvious you're a tourist so your plate is not visible

Car a spare key to your vehicle with you and hide it in the truck incase you loose yours. and let everyone in the truck know where the key is incase you're not around

I travelled across many countries and learned these tricks

excuse my grammar, i was writing this fast

lastly have fun and stay alert :)

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Never touch a wheel hub. Just put hand close, if no heat felt, spit on the thing. No sizzle, then touch. If you cannot get a temp laser, get a temp stick. most melt at 180 but you can usually find them for whatever temp you feel is best for your needs.

When using temp monitoring, any variation of more than 30 degrees is cause for alarm. better to repair it, then, rather than have it go out and cause significant damage.

AAA , up to 200 mile tow package. Cheap insurance.
Think of it like Life Insurance, hope you do NOT use it. Means you had a trouble free trip. If you do use it, the cost will be nothing compared to the time and money saved.

Get out of the vehicle, at regular intervals. Eat outside of vehicle. Keep a charged phone, off and in ready status. Take your own pillow!

Let the women drive, if they wish. daylight or open road. least distractions and least hazards, You picked those women, they should be more than a match for the job at hand. Had the brains to choose you, didn't they?

Wax that truck before you leave, makes cleaning it off, easier, once you get there.

Have fun, take some time to look around and check out interesting sites, along the way. Not many times, in most folks lives, that they travel that kind of distance, Enjoy it and as well as the ones with whom you are traveling.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Great Advice ^^

I wonder if all states make using the hazards an offence, some say do not use hazards unless much slower than the posted speed and I agree. When I used mine the speed limit was 70 mph and a few of us were doing 30 mph ish. I am not sure if it is my eyesight or not but flashing hazards are far more noticeable than just tail lights. Up this way quite a few motorists use hazards in hazardous weather and when we clear the current situation off go the hazards. Again I hope you have a blast on your trip, I can't count how many 3000 mile trips I have taken in my life ie one 3 weeks ago which was 4200 miles and on Thursday I leave on a 3500 mile round tripper. We are leaving the Canadian Rockies heading south to hwy 2 in Montana following that to the North Dakota border. From there it is south for 100 miles and then west through the middle of the state and back into the Rockies ie Kalispell. From there north to Cranbrook British Columbia and back east to a small town 45 minutes north and east of Lethbridge Alberta. We stay there one day and north to Edmonton Alberta were we hang a left and eventually end up in Prince Rupert British Columbia. Stay there for 2 days and then back 900 miles south and east and boom back home.