The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Anything over 35K for one of these 6.4 HD trucks is way too much. I understand all the bells and whistles and features you can load up with, but that goes against a HUGE negative in drivetrain, Ie the Tranny gearing and general lackluster performance while towing. I would certainly look at a diesel if I were in the 48K range..

Lol,

It tows perfectly fine for me. is it a diesel .... no. does it tow like a diesel no. it tows like a gas V-8 in a big truck, good not great...

I do agree though that I would not pay that much money for this truck mine was 35 out the door and if it was close to 40 I would've said no.

Last edited:

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol,

It tows perfectly fine for me. is it a diesel .... no does a tow like a diesel no it tows like a gas V-8 in a big truck, good not great...

I do agree though that I would not pay that much money for this truck mine was 35 out the door and if it was close to 40 I would've said no.

Yup, thats what I meant.. Its a 35K truck, tops. You can add all the leather , navigation, stereo you want, hell throw a hot tub in the back, and based on performance, if you pay over 35 for this truck, you would be better served getting a diesel because you aren't getting your moneys worth.
I'm slightly better than you, I got out the door for slightly less and thought I was in heaven based on the deal, now After several tows I am certainly back to earth. It does about the same as my 1/2 ton ecoboost with a 3:31 rear end in it. It certainly fulfills my needs as it is now. But if my camper gets any larger , I will not be happy with the current setup.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I would rather tow The same exact camper with this 3500 SRW versus the eco-boost I had only because this truck is longer and heavier so it is easier to control. Even though they both would pull relatively the same power wise. Half tons are a lot less stable when towing 10,000 pounds.

JMO

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No argument here.. The Ram could literally run circles (stable circles) around the ecoboost 1/2 ton in terms of the towing experience. It's been an absolute dream in terms of stability, cargo capacity etc.. No competition.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The dealer found that the squeak on my 6.4 was coming from the idler pulley. They also had another 6.4 in there with the same squeak also coming from the idler pulley. They said these were not the only two they've encountered with this issue.

Just waiting on the part to get there tomorrow as well as my new engine block heater ..:happy107:

Update on this. Part still hasent come in so for giggles i put an aftermarket idler pulley on and low and behold, the ******* squeak is still there. So either the "technition" at the dealer doesnt know the differance between the term "idler pulley" and a "tensioner pulley" or they are making **** up.

They said they put a stethoscope on it too.

Next up, aftermarket tentioner pully. Because **** rams backorders.

Why should i have to drive a brand new truck under warranty that is squeaking embarrassingly bad just bacause ram cant get a freaking pulley...

Last edited:

Waterhound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2016 2500 with the 6.4 hemi. I do say gas mileage could be better. I get right around 10 mpg. I have installed K & N air filter and also flow-master 50 series muffler. Truck runs great. One issue i have seen so far is that my starter clicks from time to time. Dealer could not get it to do it again. second issue i have ran into is when it is cold warming up makes whining noise. But after warms up goes away.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Got the squeak and tick at cold start

Anyone else with the 6.4 hemi get a slight squeak squeak squeak noise after start up when it idle's? Soon as I go to drive off the squeak noise goes away and never comes back it's only when it's idling after cold start up. Sounds a lot like idler pulley or something but don't understand why it goes away? Maybe it has to do with the clutch fan
same here , goes away when in gear, but the tick take a little more time . Only 4k on this truck.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
same here , goes away when in gear, but the tick take a little more time . Only 4k on this truck.

Its the tentioner pully. Its becomming a common problem with the 6.4 says my dealer.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
And mine got WAY WORSE! Constantly squeaks at idle

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
wonder where they are made, Mexico or china?

Either or, the dealer is just going to put the same garbage part on (new one) . No different than the cheap parts at autozone.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Ok. I give up on ram dealer technicians. Called again today to see if the tensioner pulley was in stock now and they said they replaced it on another truck that had the same squeak and that did not fix it either so the same truck has had the idler pulley and tensioner pulley replaced because they were SURE that's what was causing the squeak. now they say it's the water pump and they have to see if they can find parts.

I told them I am no longer driving my truck under warranty with a bad water pump they're going to supply me with the truck until it is completely solved. Some other poor guy has had his truck at the dealer and had two parts replaced already without success.

We will see if the dealer provides a truck for me. They said "we are working fast for you".

This is ridiculous

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Got a really hard downshift earlier, and now it won’t get out of first great. Has a P0734 code. Truck is sitting at the stealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Got a really hard downshift earlier, and now it won’t get out of first great. Has a P0734 code. Truck is sitting at the stealership.

66RFE obviously...?

Thats concerning. Keep us updated. I switched to redline C+ATF and my shifts got MUCH smother.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
66RFE obviously...?

Thats concerning. Keep us updated. I switched to redline C+ATF and my shifts got MUCH smother.

Yep. 66RFE.
62400 miles. Around 6000 towing, and over 70% highway miles.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Damn...hope its something simple. You've got the 5yr-100k don't you for being a 2014..?

From the reading I have done, it could be electrical or mechanical. We will see. They’re supposed to get it up on the rack in about an hour. Hopefully will know more soon.
I do have the factory 5yr-100K.

I was supposed to have been camping this week, and I’m glad that didn’t happen now. Somebody is looking out for me.

Reactions: U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Squeaky waterpump is being changed as i type waiting in the lobby. Ill let tou guys know if it fixes it. They said they have had a handfull of other 6.4’s come in recently with the same squeak.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Not trying to argue with anyone at all. But we 6.4 owners have almost a 400CI V8..... gas milage is naturally going to blow.

Yep! Figure in the weight & height of this thing... I am surprised it gets as good as it does. These ain't no grocery haulers!:naughty:

Reactions: U&A