The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Looking at a used 2018 ram 2500 6.4 CC 4wd tradesman with 77k any advice or certain things to look for. They want $34k for it great shape 2 owner

Pre COVID, I would say that is high for used. Given today's market pressing used prices up, sounds about right. 6-8 months ago, I could find the same in the $27K-$29K range

I would keep in mind that in a year or two once the New/Used supply chain ripples settle down, used prices may plummet considerable again and normalize. Coupled with normal depreciation, there maybe a trade in value shock down the road.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
One of the drivers of used vehicle pricing is the turnover of fleet vehicles. Right now there is a lack of rental vehicles in service due to the sell off last year and companies can't get replacement vehicles with the low build availability today and for the near future. My guess is that used prices will continue to hold for about 2 years and then relax over time rather than just crater. However, my opinion and a buck will get you any size soda at Mickey D's.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I gave 18 grand for my 2015 tradesman 2500 with 6.4 just 15 months ago at a Chevy dealership. It had 134k on it at the time. If I kbb today with the options it has and it now has 147500 it says it is worth 19.5k trade in and 21.5k private sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Interesting event at local dealer they said no more requirement for Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 they suggested getting any commercial available 0W-40 as long as it's 0W-40 it meets requirements came from Corporate. Interesting I had one more free Oil Change due they used pennzoil 0W-40 Euro said it meets all requirements. Maybe shortage of Ultra 0W-40? Next change due at 21K will research in meantime.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Interesting event at local dealer they said no more requirement for Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 they suggested getting any commercial available 0W-40 as long as it's 0W-40 it meets requirements came from Corporate. Interesting I had one more free Oil Change due they used pennzoil 0W-40 Euro said it meets all requirements. Maybe shortage of Ultra 0W-40? Next change due at 21K will research in meantime.

I would like to see that in writing. I would not put it past being usual made up Dealer BS to get around not providing the right oil.

ddown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
the manual only requires 0-40 but recommends pennzoil due to contractual obligation due to fiat/pennzoil consortium. Before fiat the recommended oil was Mobil one.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
the manual only requires 0-40 but recommends pennzoil due to contractual obligation due to fiat/pennzoil consortium. Before fiat the recommended oil was Mobil one.

I am with you and not trying to be argumentative, just the written semantic Olympics jump between the Owners Manual and also the Warranty Booklet language have pitfalls. The owners manual may have ambiguity and debate on what "recommended" and/or "require" mean when it come to oil in terms of grade and specs, the warranty booklet is more specific.

If you go to the warranty booklet for your year, it will have language in the "Other Exclusions" section that covers other damage not covered and have wording to affect of "using any fluid that doesn’t meet the minimum recommendations in your Owner’s Manual."

I ran both non spec grade and also non spec 0W-40 oil by quality other brands and types with no issue with oil analysis to back it. Just I understood the risk if in the rare event a oil related issue arises. If what your dealership told you was true that any 0W-40 oil will do and approved by some variance info from RAM, then there should be some official channel documentation on it. Otherwise, I would treat it as a BS story.

How did the dealership record your oil change? Did they list out what oil they actually used or did they just boilerplate and put down the approved Mopar oil part number and send you on your way?

Last edited:

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting but i agree and wonder if this was just one dealership or actually from ram. @RamCares care to comment

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I've owned 3 5.7L Hemis over the years but after 6 months I'd say I like the 6.4 a lot better.
Mileage ain't terrible ( thanks to the 8spd) but lots of grunt even in a heavier truck.
Frankly, had I been able to get a 6.4L in a Rebel I may have went that route instead of a Power Wagon...

ddown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
0w-40 meets minimum specification, MS 1263 is a recommendation not a requirement.

TRad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did an oil change on my 6.4 the other day and when i took the filter off the threaded filter connector un-threaded from the block not the filter. Anyone ever have this happen?
It was not stuck on the filter, it threaded off no problem by hand. Couldn't find any specs on torque so i cleaned it up and put it back on at maybe 20ft/lbs.

81SHOVELHEAD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My 2015 6.4 Hemi Ram 2500 has a payload of 3130 & 12,850 towing capacity with 373 gears . Just recently traded our 31ft 8k loaded TT for a 2021 Montana High Country 295RL. Empty pin weigh 2300 Empty 5th wheel 11,300 . Loaded I'm at 3000lb pin weight & 12,000 on 5th wheel . Tows it like a dream . Added air bags but don't think i needed them . Tows level with only 10 psi in bags .

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2014 Ram 2500 Hemi 6.4 with 4.10 gears, it has 3300 payload and 15,500 towing. Ordered this big bad Ram from the factory in Oct 2013 and received in late Jan 2014. This Ram was born into the cold, -40 the day I took her home. 0W40 Pennzoil SRT oil is the only oil that has been in this truck from day one and I love the 6.4 Hemi.. totally awesome engine. BUT.. the 66RFE is a totally different story, I've had this tranny go 5 times.. 4 on warranty and one rebuild done aftermarket. The last rebuild was in terms or a 66RFE the best this truck has ever work.. totally loved it but once again the 66RFE pack er in and back to square one. So right now my truck is sitting at said tranny place getting worked over. The 66RFE will no longer be in this Ram.. We're looking at a G56 and all the complication that go with it. I love this truck and will keep it forever but first we need to make it right... lol

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2014 Ram 2500 Hemi 6.4 with 4.10 gears, it has 3300 payload and 15,500 towing. Ordered this big bad Ram from the factory in Oct 2013 and received in late Jan 2014. This Ram was born into the cold, -40 the day I took her home. 0W40 Pennzoil SRT oil is the only oil that has been in this truck from day one and I love the 6.4 Hemi.. totally awesome engine. BUT.. the 66RFE is a totally different story, I've had this tranny go 5 times.. 4 on warranty and one rebuild done aftermarket. The last rebuild was in terms or a 66RFE the best this truck has ever work.. totally loved it but once again the 66RFE pack er in and back to square one. So right now my truck is sitting at said tranny place getting worked over. The 66RFE will no longer be in this Ram.. We're looking at a G56 and all the complication that go with it. I love this truck and will keep it forever but first we need to make it right... lol

Curious, did you ever swap the factory converter for an aftermarket unit?

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Curious, did you ever swap the factory converter for an aftermarket unit?
No.. all the work was done inside, Shift kit (thicker plate for valves with double ring valves) HD discs and few other little things. To us the stock converter was the right rpms so we kept it. The converter was replaced on the last warranty rebuild at the dealer. Please fill me in if you have any info on this.. Thanks

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
No.. all the work was done inside, Shift kit (thicker plate for valves with double ring valves) HD discs and few other little things. To us the stock converter was the right rpms so we kept it. The converter was replaced on the last warranty rebuild at the dealer. Please fill me in if you have any info on this.. Thanks
I'm no trans expert but was told the stock converter is garbage by more than one reliable source. Could this contribute to your issues, that I have no idea. But I replaced mine with an Edge 2600 stall converter, along with a high capacity pan, and so far the original trans has held with 90k+. FYI, my motor is far from stock (cam, headers, etc) and it's not like I baby it. So just a thought going forward.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm no trans expert but was told the stock converter is garbage by more than one reliable source. Could this contribute to your issues, that I have no idea. But I replaced mine with an Edge 2600 stall converter, along with a high capacity pan, and so far the original trans has held with 90k+. FYI, my motor is far from stock (cam, headers, etc) and it's not like I baby it. So just a thought going forward.
Cool, good to hear. My truck was far from babied too, mostly cause were we live and activities that go with the territory. Back when my trans was being rebuilt I asked about a cooler that should of helped but the "experts" said the by-pass valve they put in will take care of cooling. High capacity oil pan sounds in the right direction but wish I knew more about the converter back then too. To late now I'm already loving the idea of a G56 .. but $$$

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I also have the 66RFE transmission and have no issues to date on my 2017 Jan. build Ram. It only has 44,000 miles on it, but some of those were moderate towing. I did not soup up the power output - that is a key to destroying 66RFE's, which are at the limit of their capacity. The other is removing the thermostat from the trans oil cooling line. The trans oil runs much hotter than it should because the thermostat is extremely small diameter compared to the cooling line - it acts as an orifice, restricting oil flow. And it has been known to fail CLOSED by many members here.

If these conditions are rectified, i.e. - using the trans as intended, it is fine. The only caveat is the crappy valve body - it is not stiff enough and wears / warps / leaks / etc., making crappy shifts. Replacing with an upgrade requires re-learn in the PCM, so if you've already tuned, you have to do it all over again. Wish I'd know before I put an add-on tow-tune.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I also have the 66RFE transmission and have no issues to date on my 2017 Jan. build Ram. It only has 44,000 miles on it, but some of those were moderate towing. I did not soup up the power output - that is a key to destroying 66RFE's, which are at the limit of their capacity. The other is removing the thermostat from the trans oil cooling line. The trans oil runs much hotter than it should because the thermostat is extremely small diameter compared to the cooling line - it acts as an orifice, restricting oil flow. And it has been known to fail CLOSED by many members here.

If these conditions are rectified, i.e. - using the trans as intended, it is fine. The only caveat is the crappy valve body - it is not stiff enough and wears / warps / leaks / etc., making crappy shifts. Replacing with an upgrade requires re-learn in the PCM, so if you've already tuned, you have to do it all over again. Wish I'd know before I put an add-on tow-tune.
Which upgraded valve body do you recommend?