The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HorseManAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi Ram 2500
You guys with 4x4, don't forget to lube front drive axle. Here's a pic. The right grease fitting (needle) is required.

uploadfromtaptalk1404706055233.jpg
[/IMG]

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
does the 3500 have a larger gear housing that holds more fluid to help keep it cool with a even higher tow rating ? or is it simply the added veins on the outside of housing to promote better cooling ?

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
does the 3500 have a larger gear housing that holds more fluid to help keep it cool with a even higher tow rating ? or is it simply the added veins on the outside of housing to promote better cooling ?

The 3500's get a 11.8" gearset in the rear. It is the same housing with the finned cover.

Sud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
SUD, is the cabin air filter mod the same as the 1500?
I need to do that mod too, whats the cost on all the parts (fairly cheap right).

I think there are tons of post regarding this mod on 1500's. Just want to make sure its the same.

Any parts list available?.

Not sure about the 1500... but here's what i ordered.

'10-'14 Dodge Ram Cabin Air Filter Kit-Geno's Garage

Took maybe 15 minutes? not too complicated. Just take your time, wear gloves, and be careful. It's just awkward, in a sorta tough spot to get to.

Reactions: KTM

Old Cop 66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Excellent mileage for 15k fiver! Many hills? I got 8 mpg hand calculated or so towing 10k, but many hills. 4.10 axle.
Nota like a trip across the Appalacians, but some serious climb on back roads of Tennessee. Will be leaving Indiana going to PA. in a couple weeks, should be interesting as there are some 7 to 8 % climbs in Eastern Ohio, and another in PA on Rd 26. Have about 4500 miles on the clock at this point...

Old Cop 66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the report, that's pretty respectable MPG. I really want a 6.4, but, having had a Cummins, the towing ability and

Agree...I had two CTD's, liked them both. Had an 01' 1 ton, over 350K, three injector pumps, two sets of brakes, a bunch of tires, original clutch!
Delivered RV's for three years. Straight exhaust, 4", 6sp manual. The vacuum pump started leaking oil, cost was $3500 to replace with new. Dealer would NOT rebuild or put on a reman. Said they often leaked like the OEM that was worn out, so traded it for an '06 1 ton.
Auto tranz, pulled a Mobile Suites with it.
Got to feeling like it was a bit heavy, we were full-time at that time, so stopped at a Flying-J and weighed....Gross 28.5K !!!
Talk about overload!
The truck handled the load fine, and the electric over hydraulic brakes did fine, but....
So we traded for a 42' motorhome, and lived in it for 4 years.
Bought a house, sold the MH, now have the '14 Ram and a much smaller fifth, and, once again life is liveable!
I really liked the way the CTD pulls, but not being full-time or long haul, couldn't justify the extra $10K for the diesel upgrade.
The 6.4 does fine, and met all of our expectations on this trip...

HorseManAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi Ram 2500
Mine is a 2500. The fins promote better cooling they say. And it looks cool. Holds about same fluid capacity as factory. Mine is a 11.5 gear set. 4.10 axle. Tow a fiver, so I wanted a little more cooling. We shall see. I've got a log of several temps on factory cover. Will be checking new cover to see how temps compare.

And yes, I do believe the 3500 does get a 11.8 gear set...not sure if it's anymore fluid and not sure if 11.8 comes on SRW 3500...does it?

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mine is a 2500. The fins promote better cooling they say. And it looks cool. Holds about same fluid capacity as factory. Mine is a 11.5 gear set. 4.10 axle. Tow a fiver, so I wanted a little more cooling. We shall see. I've got a log of several temps on factory cover. Will be checking new cover to see how temps compare.

And yes, I do believe the 3500 does get a 11.8 gear set...not sure if it's anymore fluid and not sure if 11.8 comes on SRW 3500...does it?

Yes, the 11.8 comes in srw and drw varieties.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well my check engine light just popped up as I was leaving work tonight. I was quite irritated, a dealer just replaced my rf muddle and did updates last week and reprogrammed my spare key yesterday. I don't know if they did anything else but I will most likely drop it off in the morning tomorrow before work as I feel anxious driving a new truck around with it's check engine light on. Will give an update as to what was wrong.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
With 200 miles my only complaint so far is the Mexican plant put 5.7 hemi decals on my 6.4 hemi truck. Dealer is sending me replacements.

Sud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well my check engine light just popped up as I was leaving work tonight. I was quite irritated, a dealer just replaced my rf muddle and did updates last week and reprogrammed my spare key yesterday. I don't know if they did anything else but I will most likely drop it off in the morning tomorrow before work as I feel anxious driving a new truck around with it's check engine light on. Will give an update as to what was wrong.

No Bueno!!! Definitely keep us updated. This is not cool.

I'm at approximately 3,500 miles so far, no problems yet.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I ran over to the car wash earlier, and I'm getting roaring from under the hood. I think I'm having the clutch fan issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk