The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes you definitely do! And some MPG's lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14PowerWaggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
answer to your earlier question: Wyoming. Did you go to the laramie adventure Chrysler? DA said the same thing to me. Anyway the Wheatland dealer I bought from has been great. We are thinking now that somehow the electric is impeeding air flow. Chrysler is on electric fan part ending in "AG" thus the 7th version. Since my new fan clutch had an issue right after install they will order a new electric and see if somehow that is the issue. If not we'll put a 5.7 fan on there.

Wyohunter any update to your fan issue? I dropped mine off last Wednesday and they replaced entire fan assembly and water pump, saying it still makes the same noise... Now the are replacing the EGR valve, suppose to come in today... I'm hopeful that will be the fix... I read yours sounds like a jet engine... My noise is more like a diesel turbo spooling up... It only does it when on the gas, if you come off the gas the noise goes away... Also, does not make the noise at all in idle... I really want this truck back and running like it should...

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What exactly is yalls fans doing?
The only time i have ever noticed anything weird is at wide pen throttle. Kinda sounds like something spooling up i guess but like i said only at wide open throttle and i don't do that often.
Is this what you guys are experiencing?

14PowerWaggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What exactly is yalls fans doing?
The only time i have ever noticed anything weird is at wide pen throttle. Kinda sounds like something spooling up i guess but like i said only at wide open throttle and i don't do that often.
Is this what you guys are experiencing?

I'm not sure mine is the same problem wyohunter is experiencing... My truck makes the noise (I'd explain it as a squeal or high pitched roar) when first started up or whenever I'm pressing the gas pedal... It does it at all speeds anytime on the gas pedal... If I let off the gas pedal it goes away after a second or two, no matter what speed I'm at... It does not make the noise just sitting at idle... If you have the windows up and radio on around 12 or so you wouldn't be able to hear it... I hear it because I know exactly what I'm listening for... With windows down its plain as day... I've listened to and driven another 6.4 they had on the lot and it did not make this same noise... I don't even have 2,000 miles on this truck yet, so it's highly frustrating... What makes it even worse is the only rental car they had to give me is a mini van... Talk about a blow to the ego... Ha... :wtf2:

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm not sure mine is the same problem wyohunter is experiencing... My truck makes the noise (I'd explain it as a squeal or high pitched roar) when first started up or whenever I'm pressing the gas pedal... It does it at all speeds anytime on the gas pedal... If I let off the gas pedal it goes away after a second or two, no matter what speed I'm at... It does not make the noise just sitting at idle... If you have the windows up and radio on around 12 or so you wouldn't be able to hear it... I hear it because I know exactly what I'm listening for... With windows down its plain as day... I've listened to and driven another 6.4 they had on the lot and it did not make this same noise... I don't even have 2,000 miles on this truck yet, so it's highly frustrating... What makes it even worse is the only rental car they had to give me is a mini van... Talk about a blow to the ego... Ha... :wtf2:
Well I would say mine is working fine then.
I have no such sounds coming from mine.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
no fan but i had a strange rattling or vibrating coming from the rear end..dropped it off yesterday and showed a mechanic..hopefully its just the dust shield i can hear it everytime its around 10mph or at about 1300 rpms but its more consistent with the speed im going than engine speed..

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

wyohunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
clutch fan noise update

Wyohunter any update to your fan issue? I dropped mine off last Wednesday and they replaced entire fan assembly and water pump, saying it still makes the same noise... Now the are replacing the EGR valve, suppose to come in today... I'm hopeful that will be the fix... I read yours sounds like a jet engine... My noise is more like a diesel turbo spooling up... It only does it when on the gas, if you come off the gas the noise goes away... Also, does not make the noise at all in idle... I really want this truck back and running like it should...

Headed to dealer tomorrow. Will review Chrysler service bulletins again for electric fan issue. Why the heck would an egr valve make that noise? I bet we are talking about the same thing just describing different. I know its the clutch fan as it went away for awhile after replacment.

For other folks, if operating normally, your engine when driving and moderate acceleration will be very quiet and you will not hardly hear it. If your clutch fan is staying engaged, you'll have a loud joise at 2000 rpm up no matter how hard you accelerate. more gas, more noise. Best described as a roar.

Dealer in Laramie said they have recently replaced a few on 6.4, as did wheatland dealer. We'll see where it goes and I'll report back. I'm sure a lot of 6.4s have same issue, many just accept as normal which its not.

14PowerWaggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Headed to dealer tomorrow. Will review Chrysler service bulletins again for electric fan issue. Why the heck would an egr valve make that noise? I bet we are talking about the same thing just describing different. I know its the clutch fan as it went away for awhile after replacment.

For other folks, if operating normally, your engine when driving and moderate acceleration will be very quiet and you will not hardly hear it. If your clutch fan is staying engaged, you'll have a loud joise at 2000 rpm up no matter how hard you accelerate. more gas, more noise. Best described as a roar.

Dealer in Laramie said they have recently replaced a few on 6.4, as did wheatland dealer. We'll see where it goes and I'll report back. I'm sure a lot of 6.4s have same issue, many just accept as normal which its not.

Update on mine... Was at dealer for over 1 week and they replaced the entire fan assembly and water pump... Didn't fix it... They then replaced the EGR valve, reasoning was they thought it might be getting some blow by, that didn't fix it... However, I truly don't think its as loud as it was before the new parts... I had to open up a case number with Chrysler and they did make me feel like they were going to take care of me... They are sending down some level 5 master technician to look into the problem... It will be three weeks to a month before he's coming though... I hope he knows the difference between a HEMI and a diesel... Ha... So the drama continues... Even with the noise I must say I truly missed the truck while it was gone... Now just need this resolved so I can start the mod list... Been holding off because of the noise...

wyohunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well, Dealer called the Chrysler service tech for our region. His explanation was the clutch fan always stays engaged at some degree. All 6.4's on his lot sound the same. Quote: They have to do that to get enough air flow with the extra coolers on the HD. We'll last years 5.7 didn't do it. Current 5.7 don't do it. I think Chrysler is ducking to avoid a recall. It should be strictly a function of how hot is the air coming into the clutch on the fan through the radiator.
FYI the pitch (tone, whatever) gets higher as engine RPM increases. If I get time I'll post a youtube video for the noise. It is definitely an irritant and makes it not as enjoyable. Otherwise still a great truck.

Anyway, it's supposed to be that way, which I call BS as not all do it. So... I'll see about a 5.7 fan (same bolt pattern). But will be awhile. Hope Ram does something in the meantime.

14powerwaggy post up when the tech reviews yours.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well, Dealer called the Chrysler service tech for our region. His explanation was the clutch fan always stays engaged at some degree. All 6.4's on his lot sound the same. Quote: They have to do that to get enough air flow with the extra coolers on the HD. We'll last years 5.7 didn't do it. Current 5.7 don't do it. I think Chrysler is ducking to avoid a recall. It should be strictly a function of how hot is the air coming into the clutch on the fan through the radiator.
FYI the pitch (tone, whatever) gets higher as engine RPM increases. If I get time I'll post a youtube video for the noise. It is definitely an irritant and makes it not as enjoyable. Otherwise still a great truck.

Anyway, it's supposed to be that way, which I call BS as not all do it. So... I'll see about a 5.7 fan (same bolt pattern). But will be awhile. Hope Ram does something in the meantime.

14powerwaggy post up when the tech reviews yours.

That is what always happens. We don't want to admit there is a problem and we don't know how to fix it so we are going to say operating as designed.

wyohunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well in the heat of my frustration that came out wrong about the recall. My apologies if it is taken offensively. But remember I have touted everywhere how great a truck it is. I know two PW's ordered because of mine. Anyway, I hope Chrysler is investigating and maybe redesigning.

Maybe a 6.4 motor concerns thread should be started or all this fan talk moved to the 6.4 cooling fan thread? Just a thought.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well in the heat of my frustration that came out wrong about the recall. My apologies if it is taken offensively. But remember I have touted everywhere how great a truck it is. I know two PW's ordered because of mine. Anyway, I hope Chrysler is investigating and maybe redesigning.

Maybe a 6.4 motor concerns thread should be started or all this fan talk moved to the 6.4 cooling fan thread? Just a thought.

I don't know how anyone would be offended. I know the position you are in intimately, I loved my 1500 but steered everyone away from them because of the 4x4 system, I still told everyone I knew how much I loved that truck though, even with the issues I had with it.

montec982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just a curiosity question, what is the circled aluminum plate used for in the picture?

Attachments

• 20140120_165138.jpg
    20140120_165138.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 118

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That should be your PCM...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You would most likely have to ask a mechanic at a dealership that question. I'd like to know myself, so I can see if I can move it and do the $7 cold air intake mod.

What is the $7 cold air intake mod?... And like said below that is your pcm.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
The $7 CAI mod is where you take your stock airbox and cut a 3" hole in the bottom or side of it and put pvc pipe in the hole and route it over in front of your radiator, or somewhere out of the way but where it can get clean air away from the interior of the engine area. A lot of people have put it near the headlight assembly.