The dreaded water leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

poweredbyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just when i thought the build quality of this 15 ram sport couldn't possibly get any worse..BAM i notice basically my whole back seats drenched in water along with everything else back there.I absolutely HATE this truck.
I have an appointment today for them to do what the factory should of done,then I'll have to wait for replacement pieces because i'm not dealing with them just drying it out.They'll replace the wet seat,headliner & carpet or they can keep the pos.I mean who opens there doors & sprays the leather interior of a brand new truck with a water hose & thinks it'll be fine once it dries?I'm not accepting anything but what i paid for,a new dry interior,sorry just a lil po'd.
I have heard this is common ( why i don't know ).How did everyone else's dealer experience go?
On the flip side may as well get the 1st oil change and all the other parts ordered to fix the other issues this thing has.WORST truck ever,but @ least it isn't as ugly as the new nissan titan lol.

Last edited:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Just when i thought the build quality of this 15 ram sport couldn't possibly get any worse..BAM i notice basically my whole back seats drenched in water along with everything else back there.I absolutely HATE this truck.
I have an appointment today for them to do what the factory should of done,then I'll have to wait for replacement pieces because i'm not dealing with them just drying it out.They'll replace the wet seat,headliner & carpet or they can keep the pos.I mean who opens there doors & sprays the leather interior of a brand new truck with a water hose & thinks it'll be fine once it dries?I'm not accepting anything but what i paid for a new dry interior,sorry just a lil po'd.
I have heard this is common ( why i don't know ).How did everyone else's dealer experience go?
On the flip side may as well get the 1st oil change and all the other parts ordered to fix the other issues this thing has.WORST truck ever,but @ least it isn't as ugly as the new nissan titan lol.
Probably the seal on the third brake light.

MikeEMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I keep seeing threads about this and it has me worried. We've had some pretty heavy rainstorms and haven't had a leak yet, but these threads have me wondering when it will be my turn. Is it just a matter of getting a new OEM brake light seal or should I pull it apart and use some RTV or something?

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I keep seeing threads about this and it has me worried. We've had some pretty heavy rainstorms and haven't had a leak yet, but these threads have me wondering when it will be my turn. Is it just a matter of getting a new OEM brake light seal or should I pull it apart and use some RTV or something?

It is obviously hit or miss and not super common.

We had 20 inches of rain come down over a weekend and no leaks on mine.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I sealed my 3rd brake light before it leaked....didn't want to wait for it. BTW....I had a 2013 F150 and they have this same leaky 3rd brake light issue.

GzNutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I had water dripping from my driver's side grab bar not even one week into ownership. I figured I'd wait for it to happen again before taking it in. Well this morning I found water dripping from the overhead console by the homelink buttons and the rear floor soaked. I just made my appointment with the dealership.

chris3209

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had this problem fixed by my dealer. My dealer experience was okay, but I just had water under the seat (not sure how that even happened without getting the seats wet). but is this something I need to do on a regular basis or is it one-and-done?

OP
OP
P

poweredbyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Probably the seal on the third brake light.

Bingo,took it in & supposedly the gasket had been doubled over & the tech said he had never seen one so bad,i said but wait there's more lol.Got another appointment to have a list of things on this fine piece of crap fixed in a couple weeks.

OP
OP
P

poweredbyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had water dripping from my driver's side grab bar not even one week into ownership. I figured I'd wait for it to happen again before taking it in. Well this morning I found water dripping from the overhead console by the homelink buttons and the rear floor soaked. I just made my appointment with the dealership.

Good luck,I'll have them address that area when they pull the headliner out.

OP
OP
P

poweredbyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Supposedly my gasket was doubled / folded over making it to where one side had double the usual gasket & none on the other side.He said it was w mess.I'm just glad i hadn't installed a smoked led version like i want to,as there's no way they can try & wiggle out of this crap.He said they installed a new gasket & rtv.

OP
OP
P

poweredbyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I sealed my 3rd brake light before it leaked....didn't want to wait for it. BTW....I had a 2013 F150 and they have this same leaky 3rd brake light issue.

Never had the 1st problem with my 13 f150 cc fx4.I sincerely regret letting it go,was an absolute great truck.

OP
OP
P

poweredbyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
They have their fair share of problems too.

They used too,which is why my 13 fx4 was a 5.0 & completely rock solid.The only time it ever seen the dealership was for an oil change,absolutely perfect truck & i highly regret letting it go.
Sarcasm or not the ram simply isn't in the same league as the f150.
The rams build quality is what keeps it from being a great truck.
If the people at ford built the ram it would be a great truck as it has alot going for it,but build quality is not one of them.

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Supposedly my gasket was doubled / folded over making it to where one side had double the usual gasket & none on the other side.He said it was w mess.I'm just glad i hadn't installed a smoked led version like i want to,as there's no way they can try & wiggle out of this crap.He said they installed a new gasket & rtv.

Had you installed your smoked back up/brake light this problem wouldn't have happened.

Folded over it would have leaked in a previous rain or when the vehicle was washed. It was just a thin foam seal that caused the problem.