The Tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dstryr

The one and only
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
njeffries, sorry I hijacked your thread, hope it was informative to your original question but if not, jump back in and hopefully we'll get your questions answered.

Welcome to the forum!

dstryr

The one and only
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This maybe completely off base but has anyone ever had a flex plate crack? With the mentioned transmission shifting issues I'm wondering If torque converter messed up and cracked flex plate.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Late response, but not off base at all, my mechanic checked the flexplate first thing because they can send strange noises through an engine and be hard to diagnose. Wish it was the flexplate.

BTW, 4800.00 for a Jasper reman if I buy it, $7200 plus tax and incidentals for a reputable shop to buy and install, so now that I've already had the truck in at the dealer, their bill will be minimum 4hrs to diagnose and pull a valve cover and at this point around $2k more to repair than the local shop.

Waiting for Chrysler Care to call back and discuss warranty help since its only at 112,000 miles..

dstryr

The one and only
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update on my Ram, FCA offered to cover 1/2 of the approx $10k total incl taxes, misc to put a factory new engine in the truck, not a factory reman. They said if I cover $5k then they'll cover the rest... so of course $10k covers dealer profit and I'm sure the raw cost of a new engine from Chrysler is factored with a markup. On top of that the loss of value on the truck is going to be at least the $5k the FCA picks up... so I'm still out way more than $5k if I go ahead and have the engine replaced. Now waiting for a management decision from FCA if they'll cover more of the repl. engine due to low miles and loss of resale value.

On top of everything, I'll have over a grand in truck rental because my daughter has horses and is on an equestrian drill team which means practices and performances which she really cannot skip because when you're on a team you're there for the team.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well hey, now you got a new ram is how I'd be looking at it. Make sure you get a zinc break in additive on that puppy when new. Hope the new engine treats you well. Did you have to get mds back? If anyway possible, I would ask for a HD non mds engine.

dstryr

The one and only
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
smdh... service adviser doesn't know what end of the lifter broke, just kept telling me it 'broke off' or 'broke'. I asked him Top End broke or the bottom end with the roller broke and he didn't understand the question so he had to walk back to ask the tech. Says the bearings in the roller failed and the fork that the pin/axle is fitted into dropped down and scuffed the cam. Still not sure the knows wtf he was telling me, even if it was correctly relayed from the tech.

Anyway, I requested more help from Chrysler Warranty to cover 'loss of value' due to the truck needing a new engine and it now being a carfax problem for resale and got another $1000. So, they say Max out of pocket for me is $4000. Okay, fix it.

Service adviser calls again this morning.. 'Did you want to replace the waterpump since it has 112,000 miles on it?' out of the ******* blue like there's a list of **** I should be thinking about. So I ask "what comes on the new long block... no, what is being re-used from my engine?"

Service adviser does not know... wtf? You do this for a living.. Says he has to ask his tech. I got a little short with him and said 'have your tech call me.' He said okay and hung up. GEEZUS EFFING ****** know what you're talking about...

Edit:
Just a shade wound up over this new engine.... nobody plans to spend $4k or $10k on a vehicle while recalling the '01 F150 Super Crew that it replaced went almost 203,000 miles with only rear axle seals, one ign coil, and ball joints -all at around 126,000-130,000 miles. That was it, and it used maybe 1/2 qt oil between changes at 4-6000 mile intervals.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
smdh... service adviser doesn't know what end of the lifter broke, just kept telling me it 'broke off' or 'broke'. I asked him Top End broke or the bottom end with the roller broke and he didn't understand the question so he had to walk back to ask the tech. Says the bearings in the roller failed and the fork that the pin/axle is fitted into dropped down and scuffed the cam. Still not sure the knows wtf he was telling me, even if it was correctly relayed from the tech.

Anyway, I requested more help from Chrysler Warranty to cover 'loss of value' due to the truck needing a new engine and it now being a carfax problem for resale and got another $1000. So, they say Max out of pocket for me is $4000. Okay, fix it.

Service adviser calls again this morning.. 'Did you want to replace the waterpump since it has 112,000 miles on it?' out of the ******* blue like there's a list of **** I should be thinking about. So I ask "what comes on the new long block... no, what is being re-used from my engine?"

Service adviser does not know... wtf? You do this for a living.. Says he has to ask his tech. I got a little short with him and said 'have your tech call me.' He said okay and hung up. GEEZUS EFFING ****** know what you're talking about...

Edit:
Just a shade wound up over this new engine.... nobody plans to spend $4k or $10k on a vehicle while recalling the '01 F150 Super Crew that it replaced went almost 203,000 miles with only rear axle seals, one ign coil, and ball joints -all at around 126,000-130,000 miles. That was it, and it used maybe 1/2 qt oil between changes at 4-6000 mile intervals.
It's been my experience service writers are more sales oriented than technical unfortunately. That being said, I would have been just as pissed if they pulled that with me.

Please keep us updated on how things go

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Tuned in what a ****** deal.

dstryr

The one and only
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pleasant surprise, got a call from the dealership this morning and my truck is done, New Chrysler engine installed and one recall corrected.

Drove out and immediately noticed the brake pedal almost went to the floor, so around the block and right back into the service bay. I popped the hood and handed the keys right back to the service adviser and said I have no brake pedal. He grabbed the tech and the tech says 'its normal' and I know I am the customer from Hell so my temper went right to redline and he said its normal two more times and I said it is not the way I brought it in. Reluctantly he said he'd have a look and I just walked into the waiting room.

40 minutes later he came back and apologized for leaving a cap of some sort off the end of the rod that goes into the booster and said he gets into so many vehicles and they all feel different due to age and use that it felt normal to him and apologized again.
Service advisers that don't talk straight and cover ass make me anxious to the point I'd rather burn the truck with 5 gallons of gasoline in their front lot rather than listen to ********* non-commital answers. So, the Tech potentially averted a massive meltdown by being human and manning up. And thankfully that led to disarming me because I was beyond being accomodating after just spending $4k on a new motor.

Last thing, they showed me the part/parts that failed, a pivot point? on the roller end stopped rolling or something and was worn on one side. Several peices were broken or in the case of the needle bearings just came out of wherever they belonged and all the crap was in the oil pan.

So, am very glad I opted for a new engine but have had enough of the dealership experience for at least a couple of years.

Thanks to everyone for the help, suggestions and insight.. appreciate this site as a great resource for information and problem solving.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Glad they fixed that for you right there! So is it nice and quiet now?