The truth and nothing but the truth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stanallen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2019 Lonestar with 69k miles on it and was wondering if you guys out there could help me cut through the BS on needed maintenance. I change oil religiously when the indicator says it's time, but I was curious about what also needs to be maintained, I do not deal with the dealers, (I am sure you know why), but have a trusted shop where we get any mechanical work done when needed. What exactly is needed to keep the silver bullet on the road and healthy?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Follow the severe Duty or regular duty service schedule for your vehicle, depending on what your use looks like. If you follow that you will perhaps be a little over maintained but not a whole lot..

brian42

Military
Reaction score
If you are looking for pre-emptive items then follow the sever duty schedule as Dean2 mentioned.

If you want to "cut through the BS" then have your shop do an inspection and tell you what needs to be done. If they know what they are doing and you trust them then they should be able to tell you what needs to be done and when.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a 2019 Lonestar with 69k miles on it and was wondering if you guys out there could help me cut through the BS on needed maintenance. I change oil religiously when the indicator says it's time, but I was curious about what also needs to be maintained, I do not deal with the dealers, (I am sure you know why), but have a trusted shop where we get any mechanical work done when needed. What exactly is needed to keep the silver bullet on the road and healthy?
If you're waiting to change the oil till when the truck tells you to change it,good chance you might be looking at doing the cam and lifters in awhile. Generally most guys are changing oil every 5,000 miles.Cheaper to shorten up your oil change intervals,then it is to replace the cam and lifters

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you're waiting to change the oil till when the truck tells you to change it,good chance you might be looking at doing the cam and lifters in awhile. Generally most guys are changing oil every 5,000 miles.Cheaper to shorten up your oil change intervals,then it is to replace the cam and lifters
Quite possible. My maintenance manual says, "Every 8000 miles, or 12 months, or 350 engine hours - whichever occurs first." While my truck is a daily driver, I don't go someplace every day so I actually only put about 350-400 miles per month on my truck. Because of that, I hit the 12 month period long before I hit the 8000 mile mark, so I just do mine once a year. Occasionally twice a year if I made a couple long-distance drives during the year.