Thinking About Getting A Travel Trailer But I Know Nothing About Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Pigeonman

Pigeonman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow. Lots of choices and options out there for weight distribution and sway control. Those Blue Ox systems and Equal-I-zer look slick. Any recommendations for one to stay away from?

Also I had been considering drop coils for the rear end for purely aesthetic purposes. The Mcgaughy's advertise as having no effect on payload or towing? Thoughts? Would air bags likely be required after a rear drop?

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes- definitely. The rake is there for this very reason- to keep the ass end off the ground. If you drop it further before hooking, you'll be defeating the purpose of that rake- so shore it up with some bags if you do :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Wow. Lots of choices and options out there for weight distribution and sway control. Those Blue Ox systems and Equal-I-zer look slick. Any recommendations for one to stay away from?

Also I had been considering drop coils for the rear end for purely aesthetic purposes. The Mcgaughy's advertise as having no effect on payload or towing? Thoughts? Would air bags likely be required after a rear drop?

If you're drop the rear get the bags. My truck sits level with about 1000lbs in the back. You don't want to be rolling nose high.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Both of those are great systems. I run a BlueOx SwayPro- ****** awesome system. Easy on, easy off- no disconnecting the bars to back up and keeps things tracking straight as an arrow. The *only* drawback to the BlueOx is the head weighs a ton! It was a coin toss between the BlueOx and Equal-i-zer and it boiled down to availability here in Canada. I have read awesome reviews for the Equal-i-zer brand as well- but they too have one small drawback- they are noisy as hell. You can get a bar lube for them though.

You won't go wrong with either choice. Given your weight, I might lean towards a Blue Ox because you can get bars lighter than 1000lbs. 1000lbs bars would be overkill for your trailer. Too much bar can be a hinderance just as too light of bar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pigeonman

Pigeonman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes- definitely. The rake is there for this very reason- to keep the ass end off the ground. If you drop it further before hooking, you'll be defeating the purpose of that rake- so shore it up with some bags if you do :)

If I do decide to go ahead I might forgo the drop and ues the money for the integrated controller for the brakes. Can always look at a drop later.

Both of those are great systems. I run a BlueOx SwayPro- ****** awesome system. Easy on, easy off- no disconnecting the bars to back up and keeps things tracking straight as an arrow. The *only* drawback to the BlueOx is the head weighs a ton! It was a coin toss between the BlueOx and Equal-i-zer and it boiled down to availability here in Canada. I have read awesome reviews for the Equal-i-zer brand as well- but they too have one small drawback- they are noisy as hell. You can get a bar lube for them though.

You won't go wrong with either choice. Given your weight, I might lean towards a Blue Ox because you can get bars lighter than 1000lbs. 1000lbs bars would be overkill for your trailer. Too much bar can be a hinderance just as too light of bar.

I thought I saw some Equal-i-zers advertised with 800lb bars? At any rate I'm sure that whatever dealer I go with they would likely have a few options available.

The plus side of shopping for a trailer is that it's something to do with spending money on my truck that I can get my wife to go along with....

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I didn't see anyone mention an important part since its new to you....Maneuvering the trailer.practice practice practice.go to Wal-Mart or something and especially work on backing it. If someone did mention it then disregard please

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LOL Maneuvering the trailer will test any marriage. We borrow the kids walkie talkies because she still doesn't understand I need to be able to see her in the mirrors. Sometimes I just ask her to take the kids to the park and I do it myself, leaving the door open to hop in/out.
Sounds like you're on the right track. All the parts & pieces that have been suggested are good. I use the Reese dual cam sway control system which is awesome, but takes some dialing in to get it right.
I am also proof you can tow with a 2" drop, but those airbags are CRITICAL to success :roflsquared:
Let us know how you're making out; we love to B.S about this stuff for as long as you like.

OP
OP
Pigeonman

Pigeonman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, will do. Getting ready for a move right now so hopefully start looking more closely in the next couple of months if all goes well. Kids are finally old enough to feel comfortable with trying out some weekend camping. Tried it out a few years ago when the oldest was only 6 months old but it was too much. She was a horrible sleeper at the best of times and even worse if out of her element.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Thanks, will do. Getting ready for a move right now so hopefully start looking more closely in the next couple of months if all goes well. Kids are finally old enough to feel comfortable with trying out some weekend camping. Tried it out a few years ago when the oldest was only 6 months old but it was too much. She was a horrible sleeper at the best of times and even worse if out of her element.

Good choice in doing your homework a month or so before you are actually ready to buy. You will make more informed choices, and ones that will fit your needs best. Keep asking q's, and good luck with the move..:waytogo:

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Oh, and if you really want to sharpen your skills, use smaller trailers (like a 8x10)snowmobile trailer and a longer trailer to practice. Youll notice a huge difference in the way they back up. The large one is easier (ironic isnt it?) except for not being able to see as well. The small one will get you for every wrong move. The key is patience and concentration. Dont be afraid to block traffic. Sometimes u have to make a few k turns.

Wow. Little more to it than just hooking up the hitch and driving away hey? Figured there would be. Thanks for the start. I'm gonna go check my door sticker shortly.

Would I be correct to assume that distributing as much of the weight as possible in the trailer would be better the reduce the overall payload on the truck?

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
As far as trailer hitches go, I HIGHLY recommend the Propride 3p hitch or the Hensley arrow.

Hensley Arrow Hitch vs. ProPride Comparison Truth | ProPride Hitch Blog

They are expensive I wont lie, but they are the nicest hitch I've ever used. they are very different at first but have been a life saver on a number of occasions for me. They allow me to turn sharper, (past 90*) as well as eliminate sway!

I used the fastway E2 series round bar hitch and loved it on our previous camper. I since traded for a 37' bumper pull. I was initially towing this with a 3500 single wheel 2006 cummins and the trailer liked to toss the truck around. Not excessively by any means, but I didn't like the cross winds or passing trucks... Once I installed the propride the difference was incredible!

The propride and the hesley eliminate sway by creating a new pivot above the rear axle. This allows the trailer to follow as a fifth wheel would. There are many videos and threads about these hitches. They are at least worth a look...

I personally love mine. I cant hitch up significantly quicker with this hitch vs the ol' ball and socket style...

When looking at campers, make sure you stay comfortably under your trucks rating, especially with your low gearing...

I will give you my recent past with campers to hopefully lessen your mistakes! :)

We originally had a 04 chevy with the 5.3 engine. We had an older pop up we pulled for a year to see if we liked camping. We loved being and about so we bought a new entry level bumper pull, roughly 28' long and 5-6000 pounds. We pulled it home with the chevy and I was VERY disappointed. I traded it right way for a new (at the time) 2010 crew cab short box 1500 ram with the 5.7 hemi. Pulled it a few times with that truck and absolutely loved it. rode nice, handled the trailer great. We began talking about trips into the mountains as well potentially buying a bigger camper. I then traded the 2010 for a 2006 ram 3500 single wheel cummins. Truck did an awesome job pulling previous camper into the mountains, wasn't terribly impressed with the fuel economy but not a big deal... We then traded the camper for another new bumper pull, more high end and bigger. part of the reasoning for the trade was we had axle troubles and many other problems. We had looked to trade prior but were going to take a big hit price wise till all the problems popped up... Fast forward to recently, we have our first kid due in May of this year. The wife wanted something nicer, newer, quieter and more room so we traded for the current 2015 2500 crew cab 6.4.

long story short, plan for the future and make smart decisions... Fortunately we were able to trade and make some really good deals so I didn't ever really lose any money... but sure could have...

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The P3 IS nice, but also complicated to install, and for a TV like ours with minimal payload, HEAVY. I've looked very seriously at it.

jrodriguez069

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I'm new to this also. Previously towed a 6X12 enclosed trailer, but that was with my 1500. My 2022 Laramie crew cab diesel will be towing a new keystone RV about 26ft in total length. Dealer says he wouldn't let me off the lot without the WDH, it being an Equalizer. Is that right? I have a class IV set up wit a BW with the 8.5" drop and three ball set up. What do you guys recommend?

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm new to this also. Previously towed a 6X12 enclosed trailer, but that was with my 1500. My 2022 Laramie crew cab diesel will be towing a new keystone RV about 26ft in total length. Dealer says he wouldn't let me off the lot without the WDH, it being an Equalizer. Is that right? I have a class IV set up wit a BW with the 8.5" drop and three ball set up. What do you guys recommend?
A lot of good information already presented here. Know your numbers, on the door is your GVWR and payload capacity. The GVWR is the maximum you can have combined on your axles which is truck, passengers, gear, hitch, tongue weight, etc. Run your VIN on Ram site and get your maximum trailer weight and PC is there also. With a 1500 you will almost certainly run out of PC long before you get anywhere near your maximum trailer rating.

With a 8.5 drop, are you lifted? That will certainly impact towing capabilities. Good luck.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Everyone’s already given you a lot of great info. I didn’t see anyone mention dual vs single axle trailers. I’ve towed both even in small trailers ~ 4000lbs and the dual axle will tow noticeable better in terms of bouncing and sway.

I’ve rented single axle travel trailers… no way I would own one.
Additional safety factor if you were to ever have a blow out. But then of course increased maintenance cost.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
WDH was definitely the right call. Agree with the dealer there. I'm not familiar with the eco-diesel so can't add any input there.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
WDH was definitely the right call. Agree with the dealer there. I'm not familiar with the eco-diesel so can't add any input there.
His 2022 is not an Eco its a CTD and we are missing info like an will assume 2500 or 3500 2x4 or 4x4, with it having an 8.5 inch drop hitch, again will have to assume its lifted being my stock 2022 2500 4x4 CTD with a 4 inch drop is just right for my 7x14 ft enclosed trailer...

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
His 2022 is not an Eco its a CTD and we are missing info like an will assume 2500 or 3500 2x4 or 4x4, with it having an 8.5 inch drop hitch, again will have to assume its lifted being my stock 2022 2500 4x4 CTD with a 4 inch drop is just right for my 7x14 ft enclosed trailer...
Yeah I didn't notice that but his signature said 3.6. I guess that is the Pentastar? I was thinking it was the eco-diesel

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah I didn't notice that but his signature said 3.6. I guess that is the Pentastar? I was thinking it was the eco-diesel
That was why I assumed a 1500, but without more detail, is the 'about me' stuff up to date? Such a drop hitch on a 1500, that truck probably shouldn't be towing too much and just stick to a lot of fun rock climbing.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

I won't pull a TT any distance without a good WDH and some kind of sway control. Sure, my 2500 CTD will do it, but it doesn't feel safe. Dealer made the right call - pulling without is taking a gamble, and trust me, in higher winds or when passing another large vehicle, you're going to want every bit of control you can get.

I can't count the number of times I've been passed by someone in a 2500 or even a 1500 with no WDH and sway control, trying to run 75-80, and swaying all over the place. My rig is rock-steady, but I've had to dive onto the shoulder to give them room to swing around while they're going around me. Amazes me that I see that, then hear stories of people saying that same setup 'pulls great, didn't have a problem!' No buddy, you had a problem and chose to make it everyone else's problem too.

Moral of the story, get that WDH and sway control, and USE IT. No reason to skip the 5 minute hookup and risk spending time in a hospital.