Towing Camping Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldManEdge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Have a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn, 5.7 Hemi, 3.21 rear, 7100lb GVW, Class IV Receiver Hitch, 8 speed trans. Looking at a Grand Design camping trailer 29'10" length, Hitch weight 581, UVW 5857, GVRW 7850. Is my truck capable of safely towing this throughout the US? Want to possible pull out to AK. Concerned about wear and tear on truck. Have weight distribution system. Do I need anything else?
I am wondering what the max. hitch weight can be on your RAM. I have the same RAM as yours but a 2021.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am wondering what the max. hitch weight can be on your RAM. I have the same RAM as yours but a 2021.
With a Class IV receiver, their max hitch weight would be about 1000 pounds. But that is for the receiver itself, the truck frame may not be able to handle that much.

OldManEdge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
With a Class IV receiver, their max hitch weight would be about 1000 pounds. But that is for the receiver itself, the truck frame may not be able to handle that much.
How do I find that information for truck frame?

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
How do I find that information for truck frame?
If you can find the true towing capacity of your specific truck - not some dreamed up numbers in a brochure - you can safely assume that the max tongue weight for your receiver/frame is ~15% of your towing capacity. I have a Class V Commercial Duty receiver that will handle a towing capacity of 18k - 20k pounds, and a tongue weight up to 2700#, but my truck is only rated to tow 15,000# so I have to assume that it will handle safely handle ~1900# of tongue weight.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Easiest way is to look at the payload sticker inside the door frame of the truck. That number is your base.

From your signature, I see that you have a camper shell on the truck, so subtract the weight of that shell from your payload. Assuming you have no other aftermarket accessories on the truck, that would be your base payload weight. Then subtract the weight of your passengers and anything else that you might load into the truck. Whatever that number is, is what you can carry. Take 15% of THAT number and compare to your hitch rating of 1,000 lbs. You'll likely run out of payload before you reach your hitch capacity. Don't exceed either and you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat